Sad News on Westerdam in Alaska

Lady Arwen

If it was so easy to go overboard, we would be hearing reports of more children falling off of ships. More often than not, it's adults.

Roz

How would you NOT notice your spouse wasn't around from 6:30 am to 4:30 pm.

My thoughts as well. I realize many don’t do everything together, but 9 hours is a long time. Especially on a non-port day when you aren’t leaving the ship. There has to be more to the story that hasn’t been released or discovered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by JT1962

Valid question - you’d think there would be some “together time” when on vacation - and from earlier reports of missed medical appointment, wife might only have missed him when asked about his being a no-show for his appointment.

Just one more sad facet to a sad tale.

Well, when on the cruise my DW and I may not see each other until the late afternoon. I go walking on deck about 5am then roam the ship for a few hours. She may be also roam and we will not pass each other for most of the day. This is more common on sea days than land days for us at least.

Lots of couples aren't joined at the hip. He goes his way while she goes hers, and they get together later on and compare notes.

He gets up early while she sleeps late. He likes to hang out at one bar while she attends lectures, trivia, and other activities. They don't see each other until it's time to get ready for dinner and enjoy the evening.

Not at all unheard of.

Well, when on the cruise my DW and I may not see each other until the late afternoon. I go walking on deck about 5am then roam the ship for a few hours. She may be also roam and we will not pass each other for most of the day. This is more common on sea days than land days for us at least.

Totally agree. And it can get irritating when trying to find each other if you haven’t set a meeting time and place. You only have to be a minute behind the other to not catch each other. And that’s on an R class ship. If I get my dream and DH gets on one of the remaining S class ships with me, with all the neat books and crannies outdoors, all bets are off.

Furthermore, if 1 spouse is feeling a bit under the weather it’s totally understandable they might stay back in the cabin for awhile, then go wandering if they feel better.

We put up post-it notes in the cabin as our way to let each other know what is going on, or we will be at Y at X time for Bingo or whatnot. Message is received if the posit is in the trash or no longer visible. Some times at night I wake up and she is gone say 3am or so. Being curious I roam the ship and see her knitting away in some corner. Once with a member of staff learning to throw overhand.

Totally agree. And it can get irritating when trying to find each other if you haven’t set a meeting time and place. You only have to be a minute behind the other to not catch each other. And that’s on an R class ship. If I get my dream and DH gets on one of the remaining S class ships with me, with all the neat books and crannies outdoors, all bets are off.

Furthermore, if 1 spouse is feeling a bit under the weather it’s totally understandable they might stay back in the cabin for awhile, then go wandering if they feel better.

Why not just use the app for your phone that most ships have now to keep in touch or check to make sure someone is ok? No need to use cell service and internet access for the apps are usually free. An easy way to let others know where you are without chasing each other around the ship or going back to the room to check.

Would you believe that there are some cruisers (including DW and me) who have no desire to carry around a cell phone...when on a cruise. We normally turn ours off and lock them in the cabin safe..once we leave a port. The slight inconvenience of not having the phone is more then made up by not having the phone :). Somehow, on well over 1000 days and nights on many cruisers we have managed to find each other when necessary :).

Hank

Would you believe that there are some cruisers (including DW and me) who have no desire to carry around a cell phone...when on a cruise. We normally turn ours off and lock them in the cabin safe..once we leave a port. The slight inconvenience of not having the phone is more then made up by not having the phone :). Somehow, on well over 1000 days and nights on many cruisers we have managed to find each other when necessary :).

Hank

Wander if you choose , I will use the app[emoji4].

Plus the phone serves as my camera, e-reader, gps, access to the daily activities schedule on the ship, menus, making reservations for dinner or shows, etc.

Edited by JT1962

Plus the phone serves as my camera, e-reader, gps, access to the daily activities schedule on the ship, menus, making reservations for dinner or shows, etc.

I used the Navigator app many times each day

The app does sound handy. Did I read that it doesn't emit a sound?

We used the app on our last cruise in March and I recall that your phone won't beep when you receive a message. I missed a couple of my wife's "urgent" messages. I do remember that I was asked to do a survey about the app and I mentioned that option was missing and it would be nice to have. A tech called our cabin a while later and explained that wasn't possible.

Don't know it works now.

I do not have nor want a smart phone to carry around when at home and not when traveling. I have no interest in getting one.

Wander if you choose , I will use the app[emoji4]. Plus the phone serves as my camera, e-reader, gps, access to the daily activities schedule on the ship, menus, making reservations for dinner or shows, etc. Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Originally posted by Hlitner Would you believe that there are some cruisers (including DW and me) who have no desire to carry around a cell phone...when on a cruise. We normally turn ours off and lock them in the cabin safe..once we leave a port. The slight inconvenience of not having the phone is more then made up by not having the phone :). Somehow, on well over 1000 days and nights on many cruisers we have managed to find each other when necessary :).

Hank

I do not have nor want a smart phone to carry around when at home and not when traveling. I have no interest in getting one.

My late DH and I always managed to reunite when separated during tens of thousands of miles of travel and cruising. :)

Edited by sail7seas

We traveled with two other couples and the Navigator app was very handy for meeting up for lunch and at the end of shore excursions. Remembering to check the phone for messages became habit after a while. All in all it was very handy since we were a small group. Don't think I would need it if just the hubby and myself.

We typically do two international trips of about 6-10 weeks each every year. Including the occasional cruise.

Our cell phones stay at home. So much so that we switched one from contract to pay as you go.

I helped asking about the app, sorry. Back to the topic. Any updates for the missing man? My condolences to his family.

The following is the latest I have seen. Seems he had been missing for 9 hours but not how he left the ship, accidental or otherwise. Either way an awful thing for his family to have to deal with, my sympathy to all involved

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2018/07/man-overboard-9-hours-being-reported-missing-glacier-bay-national-park

I am curious why such a delay until the wife declared him missing.

There are any number of plausible reasons, but in the final analysis, they don't really matter. Based on available information, her husband went overboard shortly after last seeing her. Had she reported him missing in as short a period of time as a couple of hours, it still wouldn't have prevented the sad outcome.

There are any number of plausible reasons, but in the final analysis, they don't really matter. Based on available information, her husband went overboard shortly after last seeing her. Had she reported him missing in as short a period of time as a couple of hours, it still wouldn't have prevented the sad outcome.

You are likely right.