Shirt Button Came Off

zorrosuncle

Just a fun related tale. Back in the 50s my parents used to cruise on lines such as Cunard and American Export Lines. This was in the days when passengers would take large Steamer Trunks on cruises and dress-up every night. On one formal night, while my Mother was putting on a formal gown, her zipper broke. They called their cabin steward who quickly came to the cabin with a sewing kit and actually sewed my mother into her gown :). Doubt if one could get that type of service these days.

Hank

In Hobby Lobby you can get a luggage tag with sewing kit for $1.99. Heck, maybe you can get it cheaper on Amazon... Also came in orange and purple:

enhance

enhance

enhance

EM

Lots on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Kole-Imports-HH561-Luggage-Sewing/dp/B00F3O6ZB6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1532441549&sr=8-2&keywords=luggage+tag+sewing+kit&dpID=41L-BmaAB1L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Edited by Essiesmom

For some reason, I thought he was aleady on the ship and posting from aboard.

OP are you on the ship?

In the time it took you to post, you could have sewed the button ;)

Some thoughts:

1. Always take a sewing kit as mentioned above, some contain a needle threader. If not, purchase a needle threader before the cruise, they are not expensive.

2. If missing a button, remove the last one at the bottom of the shirt and use to replace the missing one. This is less likely to show.

Add arthritis and injury to the list.

I'm sure it's easy to come up with several reasons someone couldn't sew a button on for themselves.

In my case, it's lack of skill. I own - and I'm not making this up - the "Buttoneer." As a 1980s and 1990s business traveller, this has gotten me out of several jams.

All tne politially correct gobblygook put an end to home ec classes and shop class in schols AND we hve generation of young 'uns who cannog hem a pair of pants or sew a button. Very Sad

IMO Those are practical lifeskills

Shopclasses taught how to hammer a nail and hang a picture ujseful things to know.

Teaching to standardized tests is what has killed a lot of elective courses in high schools. Has nothing to do with "politically correct gobbledygook," as you assert. I cannot even begin to imagine what that means? That only girls took home economics and boys took shop? When I was in high school 25 years ago, both home economics and shop were populated equally by boys and girls. My brother took an auto repair course side by side with the girls, too, and that was a decade before I was in high school. In fact, the high school I attended still offers what they call "life skills" courses that cover things the home ec and shop classes used to. It's an elective that anyone can take.

I always travel with one of the small sewing kits that they used to provide in hotels. Very handy, and I can sew a button on in less time than it would take me to go to the tailor shop, front desk, etc.. One of those things I learned as a kid that never left me. :)

Exactly. I am continually amazed by the lack of basic competence people display in everyday life.

I don't understand why one would take it to Guest Services when putting it in the laundry bag would suffice. :confused:

The OP did not indicate they had any laundry to send out, therefore I did not mention putting it in a laundry bag.

They don't have to put more into the laundry bag than just the shirt and the laundry form saying what they want done. No need to send a 'bagful and no need to complicate sending out a single shirt.

Just because most here indicate they want to stuff the bag full there is no rule that says we must.

The OP did not indicate they had any laundry to send out, therefore I did not mention putting it in a laundry bag.

Good point. OP would be best to check it out first (if they are on the ship). Especially if they are taking care of laundry with the "by the bag" package ;) (I'm sure they don't want to be charged for laundry by putting one shirt in that needs a button replaced - just a guess though ;) )

Edited by kazu

Add arthritis and injury to the list.

I'm sure it's easy to come up with several reasons someone couldn't sew a button on for themselves.

I can't do anything intricate..lord knows I've tried..sometimes it's just better to hand things like sewing buttons back over to the professionals.:*

Just a fun related tale. Back in the 50s my parents used to cruise on lines such as Cunard and American Export Lines. This was in the days when passengers would take large Steamer Trunks on cruises and dress-up every night. On one formal night, while my Mother was putting on a formal gown, her zipper broke. They called their cabin steward who quickly came to the cabin with a sewing kit and actually sewed my mother into her gown :). Doubt if one could get that type of service these days.

Hank

Thanks for this story! I enjoyed it a lot.

I can't do anything intricate..lord knows I've tried..sometimes it's just better to hand things like sewing buttons back over to the professionals.:*

It’s really rather easy. Give it a try. It’s an important life skill. You never know when the professionals might not be around and you’re really, really want to wear that item!

I think the lesson here is: don't judge others when you don't know their circumstances.

Exactly. Seriously.I can't sew a button on.Same with knitting(which IS a bit trickier)I've tried.Which is why I rarely wear clothes with buttons on.;p

There truly is nothing tricky about sewing a button on a shiirt.

REsearch

Google: How to sew a button:

I imagine you can find directions on line with diagrams.

Some people here are too old school for their own good. "I can sew on my *own* buttons..I *refuse* to have a cell phone", etc. Then you have me, who prefers living in 2018.

You are painting with too broad a brush again. I'm quite capable of using my iPhone 7+ to full advantage, but I'm equally capable of sewing on a button.

Given the alternative, I think we all prefer living in 2018.:D