Oceania Club Amenities Change

jjeffjb

btw...i took the ol' pinking shears to the 'divider' inside and cut it out....made it far more practical for the groceries, library books, etc.

I will send mine back to Mr. FDR to thank him for his loyalty to us. Ugh. :(:(:(

Orv

I liked your Big O tote

it looked handy

Do you mean the one that is a string backpack tote or the one we got the last day with the blue & white stripes? I really like the string backpack, probably better than the one strap backpack we got 7 or 8 years ago.

I know it wasn't the gold one because it was at home, as well as multiples of the solid blue one, the terry cloth one, & the blue one with the white at the top like you posted.

I usually take my own tote that suits my needs

I never take the tote from the cupboard so no need to find other uses for them

If you do not need it why take it ???

Yes, After the first one which I don't really use, I have never taken another tote home as it seems wasteful.

I've passed some of my bags on to my Kid-- g' child in family means the vinyl bag holds wet sneakers, gnarly soccer stuff, (or rock climbing stuff) towels & swim suit...and the seams are well sown so hold up to living in the back of the car with the other stuff.

Silly me, when I shell out $8000-10000 on an Oceania cruise, I don't even think of the "pat on the head" loyality benefits of a couple of hundred in "on board credit". It's like buying a new car and complaining that they didn't throw in a free air freshener. Oceania has among the most loyal passenger profile in the industry (we started with them as Renaissance Cruises in 2000) so I doubt they even need a loyalty program when people .rebook and come back for all the right (for them) reasons. The consistent and often improving quality is enough to make one not feel taken for granted.

You sir, have it 200% correct. could not have said it better.....perfect , excellent.

For anyone that things Oceania cares about your loyalty, I think you are mistaken. Acquiring new cruise passengers can be very costly to cruise companies, so the "loyalty" program is nothing more than a way to reduce per-person acquisition costs. Oceania must feel that acquisition costs have been reduced, and/or the current loyalty program costs were too expensive, so they made a change. Will they loose people. Yes, but if you think some human at Oceania is going "oh no, John Smith is going elsewhere after 40 cruises, boo hoo" then you are very mistaken.

They probably figured out, the MORE cruises you go on, the older you are, and the more set-in-your-way you are, and more likely will NOT leave. So why give them more perks? Makes sense to me.

ano,

I understand most of your points but this one puzzles me:

“Acquiring new cruise passengers can be very costly to cruise companies so the "loyalty" program is nothing more than a way to reduce per-person acquisition costs“ - please explain.

It seems to me that the new passengers get nothing from the cruise line while some loyal members get quite a few benefits that cost the cruise line (PPG, OBC, no deviation fees, 2 free spa treatments for another year, etc)

Usually new cruisers do not receive any advertising until after they have cruised with the line and get on the mailing list.

Edited by Paulchili

Can't answer for what "ano" meant bu acquisition costs but to me these mean the costs of acquiring new customers, not the cost of the customers once you have them. So marketing, agents perks to introduce new clients etc.

I once had a lengthy conversation with the MD of a UK cruise agency following a complaint about the new offering they had for a cruise we were booked on that they would not give us the benefit of. He explained that the package was put together with the cruise companies marketing people and a contribution from the cruise companies marketing budget and was aimed at passengers new to the line. This was partly a way to circumvent strict UK regulation about agents compensation from the cruise companies but mainly aimed at getting new blood.