Scales at staircases

frankc98376

Captain Albert's blog today said that HAL is putting scales at each staircase on every deck on the last day of a cruise to check your luggage weight.

Is this new or have I not noticed them? I honestly have never looked and by the last day am sadly pretty much using elevators exclusively as muscles hurt from walking miles each day.

If so, what a great idea. A few times we have been doing the suitcase shuffle at the airport to keep them all under 50 pounds.

He did say that some use them for intended use and usually groan :D

I can't recall every seeing that Frank, but I do know that there had always been a notice on my cruises that there will be a weight scale by the front desk and a couple of other places the day before disembarkation so people can weigh their luggage.

I see lots of people in the elevator doing it. We just bring our little digital weighing thing (as long as the battery lasts) and I use it. I'm not so much concerned about weight restrictions on the planes as making sure that the luggage is balanced for managing.

But, I hear you. there's nothing worse than the "shuffle" at the airport.

I have seen many scales out by main staircases on the last evening of our last couple of cruises (Oosterdam & Koningsdam). I cannot say that every stair/elevator bank/floor had them, but they were readily available. Lots of folks, including me, were taking advantage as they packed their bags.

At first I thought it might be a cruel joke to point out that we ate way too much on the cruise!

Edited by Overhead Fred
Clarification

I have seen them on some cruises, in the elevator lobbies. A couple of trips ago, I invested in my own small luggage scale so I don't have to lug my suitcase down and back to the elevator lobbies. It saves so much trouble at the airports. And I use it for my carry-on luggage, which is sometimes weighed on my Qantas or Air New Zealand trans-Pacific flights.

I’ve never seen them but now I’ll be looking! On our June Zaandam cruise someone (?) mentioned that there was a scale to weigh luggage at the front desk. We were doing luggage direct so that the luggage went from the ship to our home airport. We didn’t weigh the luggage and there were no overweight charges.

I thought it would be an actual luggage scale like they sell in luggage stores, not a scale that we could weigh ourselves on!

I've seen them in the Atrium area on some ships, but didn't think they were on all decks at that time. Mine are usually too heavy for me to drag to the scale anyway (but always under the airline limit).

We've seen them on many of our cruises in the elevator lobbies on multiple decks. Most recently on deck 4 of Westerdam in April 2018 on our Hawaii cruise. The seem to appear in the afternoon of the last day before a major debarkation.

Bed, Bath and Beyond and LL Bean as welll as Many other places sell, very well priced hand held luggage scales. Mine has proved to be quite accurate and I always have one in my carry on . VER y much more convenient to be self- sufficient and not have to drag your luggage down a hallway, Check out Amazon

There are buttons on the scales to choose your airline and whether you are flying domestic or international. If you are under limit, it prints out a coupon telling you how much duty free liquor or close out t-shirts you can buy in the onboard shops.

There are buttons on the scales to choose your airline and whether you are flying domestic or international. If you are under limit, it prints out a coupon telling you how much duty free liquor or close out t-shirts you can buy in the onboard shops.

Oh now I understand. I was just thinking of clothes. I wasn't thinking about how much liquids can weigh. I enjoy all my liquids onboard and don't put any into my luggage.

GOOD One, Poa. :D

We had them by elevators when on Koningsdam. We buy duty free liquor so weighed our suitcase and it was just under. But at the airport they said we were over by just a little but made us take something out [emoji19]

Airport staff can be very difficult when they want. Flying out of Hawaii, my bag was 2 lbs over, while DW's was 5 lbs under. In total, we were 3 lbs on the lite side, but the staff member insisted that I remove 2 lbs of clothing and move it to DW's suitcase. When we got home, the first thing I purchased was one of the travel scales that goes everywhere with us.

BTW, prior to purchasing the scales, we also had airport staff not even blink when we were both a couple of pounds over, which is why the Hawaii episode was so surprising.