Passport

iminyourmind

I'm mailing my passport off for renewal tomorrow. I need it before my October 13th cruise. Should I be fine or do I need to expedite it? Thanks.

Expedite means they will ship it back to you faster. Not process it faster. All you save is 2-3 days. Like buying on Amazon. You want the product as fast as possible. You order it. You select 2 day delivery. Pay extra for 2 day delivery. However, it still take the same amount of time to get picked off the shelf, and packaged for shipping. They add a different label on the package.

Here is the funny thing. Sometimes if I ordered it on the same day as you, the package will arrive the same time, but I had normal shipping.

Expedite means they will ship it back to you faster. Not process it faster. All you save is 2-3 days. Like buying on Amazon. You want the product as fast as possible. You order it. You select 2 day delivery. Pay extra for 2 day delivery. However, it still take the same amount of time to get picked off the shelf, and packaged for shipping. They add a different label on the package.

Here is the funny thing. Sometimes if I ordered it on the same day as you, the package will arrive the same time, but I had normal shipping.

The State Department gives you two options- paying for expedited service and paying for express mail. Under the latter you are correct, all it does is decrease the shipping time, but if you pay for the expedited service your application does get processed before other non-expedite passports.

Expedite a Renewal by Mail

Form DS-82 must be mailed in. You cannot apply with Form DS-82 (Renew a Passport by Mail) at an acceptance facility. To find out if you are eligible to use Form DS-82, see Renew a Passport.

• Fill out your application and collect your documents.
  • Be sure to include the $60 expedite fee in addition to the normal application fee. See Passport Fees for more information.
  • Clearly mark "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the envelope.
  • The expedite fee does not include 1-2 Day Delivery. For optional faster shipping of your application, see 1-2 Day Delivery Service shipping below.

1-2 Day Delivery Service (Optional)

You may choose to pay for a 1-2 Day Delivery service for your application.

• If you are only applying for a passport card, we will send it to you via First Class Mail. We do not use 1-2 Day Delivery services for passport card only applications.
  • You may choose one or both of the following shipment options:
    • Delivery to us: Purchase 1-2 Day Delivery service at a post office or other passport acceptance facility for faster shipping of your application to us. The price for 1-2 Day Delivery service varies depending on the area of the country.
    • Return to you: Include the $15.89 1-2 Day Delivery service fee with your passport fee in your check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State for faster return shipping.

I'm mailing my passport off for renewal tomorrow. I need it before my October 13th cruise. Should I be fine or do I need to expedite it? Thanks.

We got new passports for 2 of our kids plus a renewal for expired for me last May, took 4-5weeks. We expedited (extra $70) a 3rd new child passport in July. Got it in less than a week. Still missing 1 birth certificate though. :rolleyes:

Ya you are fine. We just did three and it took just over 2 weeks from door to door. No worries.

The State Department gives you two options- paying for expedited service and paying for express mail. Under the latter you are correct, all it does is decrease the shipping time, but if you pay for the expedited service your application does get processed before other non-expedite passports.

Expedite a Renewal by Mail

Form DS-82 must be mailed in. You cannot apply with Form DS-82 (Renew a Passport by Mail) at an acceptance facility. To find out if you are eligible to use Form DS-82, see Renew a Passport.

• Fill out your application and collect your documents.
  • Be sure to include the $60 expedite fee in addition to the normal application fee. See Passport Fees for more information.
  • Clearly mark "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the envelope.
  • The expedite fee does not include 1-2 Day Delivery. For optional faster shipping of your application, see 1-2 Day Delivery Service shipping below.

1-2 Day Delivery Service (Optional)

You may choose to pay for a 1-2 Day Delivery service for your application.

• If you are only applying for a passport card, we will send it to you via First Class Mail. We do not use 1-2 Day Delivery services for passport card only applications.
  • You may choose one or both of the following shipment options:
    • Delivery to us: Purchase 1-2 Day Delivery service at a post office or other passport acceptance facility for faster shipping of your application to us. The price for 1-2 Day Delivery service varies depending on the area of the country.
    • Return to you: Include the $15.89 1-2 Day Delivery service fee with your passport fee in your check or money order payable to the U.S. Department of State for faster return shipping.

Just speaking from what I was told. Your check isn't cashed until the envelop is opened. Once it is sorted, the expedited service begins but it is very seldom much faster. Maybe a day or two at best. Most people will never really know because there is no way to judge the speed. However, in recent history, they have been really fast with renewals.

Just speaking from what I was told. Your check isn't cashed until the envelop is opened. Once it is sorted, the expedited service begins but it is very seldom much faster. Maybe a day or two at best. Most people will never really know because there is no way to judge the speed. However, in recent history, they have been really fast with renewals.

That's probably why the instructions say to put "EXPEDITE" on the outside of the envelope. Miss that step and your envelope sits in a pile with everyone else's.