Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

16 hours ago, Noggins said:

If I may offer a 'top tip' for anyone considering an Amazon cruise. We were lucky enough to cruise from Manaus on the Cloud a few years back (and passed through the Breves Narrows - an extraordinary experience). But the highlight of the whole trip was a week on a small boat (MY Toucano Riverboat) that took us up river from Manaus. It gave a totally different insight to the region and really got us up close to the real river and Amazon rain forest experience. A little more hard-core than the Cloud (!) but Magical.

Really appreciate this feedback, Noggins.  Thanks for sharing it.  

What would you think of taking Toucano Riverboat first and then boarding the Cloud or Wind for a luxury sail out from Manaus?

7 hours ago, Stumblefoot said:

Really appreciate this feedback, Noggins.  Thanks for sharing it.  

What would you think of taking Toucano Riverboat first and then boarding the Cloud or Wind for a luxury sail out from Manaus?

Hi Stumblefoot

Yes, that's the order we did it in - saving the luxury until the end!

The Toucano is very comfortable and operates like an expedition cruise for just 18 guests. There are early starts and after dark trips most days in the equivalent of zodiacs. Photo shows the breakfast buffet and the boot cleaning service (so a bit like SS!).

In fact, following the Toucano week we travelled south from Manaus by land and speedboat to quite a remote treetops lodge for more immersion in this wonderful area. The lodge was very comfortable too - but we did find ourselves sharing our room with a native of those parts....

All very memorable.

Adrian

https://jumalodge.com.br/o-hotel/

PB140092.JPG

PB150110.JPG

PB120022.JPG

PB200202.JPG

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mysty said:

My bit of joy for today....our small town cancelled the Santa Claus parade this year because of the nasty.  They came up with an alternative plan.  It was a Santa and Mrs. Claus drive by.  They divided the town into 3 routes on 3 different nights and Santa and Mrs Claus travelled on the back of a flat bed trailer surrounded by police cars with flashing lights and fire trucks with flashing lights.  Tonight was our route.  Myster and I bundled up and headed out to wait with young families and other folks from our seniors' apartment building.  What the procession lacked in finesse it made up for with heart!  The kids were so excited and the oldsters were as well!

Hi Mysty, this sounds wonderful.😃

• Like 1

Hi mysty - I don't know if you actually want any answers to your quiz, but here goes.  For me, 2, 5 and 17 pretty much equally  About the only one which does not apply is 18; I have a good sense of direction.  And can read maps - said to be unusual for a woman (How dare they).

Good thoughts going to all the coolers, 

Lola

• Like 4

Lots of great posts and sharing from the "usual suspects" here at The Cooler.  Especially loved (and shared with a few others), the "SNORING SOLUTION" from zqtchas in northern Virginia.  Two different reactions/comments that I received back from theft and sharing were: 

* "Wish I had thought of that.  Would be on Easy Street by now!"

* "Perfection!! We have a better solution--separate bedrooms, like royalty!"

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

575322506_ScreenShot2020-12-06at5_37_38PM.png.70cc9c028036ce15c43d00f9c6eb2f47.png

2097707326_ScreenShot2020-12-06at5_37_57PM.png.ef0a704842451dc1f43b0986433d3be7.png

Sunday night. Back to the salt mines tomorrow.

A shot of the angelic creature under the Christmas tree. She doesn't look worse for the wear after biting my hand. I'm all better too, I think.

20201204_190632.thumb.jpg.e5a5a2b86d0724b1d5cd5dd3e40de64f.jpg

Made duck part two today. Thawed the legs from the Thanksgiving duck and made my favorite recipe. Salt, pepper, and a quick sear. Then cook whatever vegetables you like in the fat. I had potatoes, sweet potatoes, shallots, and brussels sprouts.

Put the legs back on top and pour broth to cover the vegetables but leave the skin dry.

20201206_145708.thumb.jpg.c6712537584170804844cf066edc583f.jpg

Cook for 2h at 300°F in the oven, until the meat is tender and the skin super crispy.

20201206_170040.thumb.jpg.dafc4fdeea6bec313c03eef7b38c799d.jpg

It was yummy with a Syrah.

20201206_171852.thumb.jpg.8e204adf404db0ab7c3d1864a934aa78.jpg

Now off to make tomorrow's lunch. Another week and no vacation...

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Good morning,  JP, those food photos look so very good🙂(as usual). Your cooking ALWAYS looks so appetizing! 

YES, agree that J.P.'s food pix's and details are so nice and attractive.  

Below is our Christmas tree.  Got it done this past weekend.  After many years of putting this tree up on our nearby screened porch (to lessen the indoor messes and be nicely visible for those driving by from the street), we resumed having the tree inside this year.  During the Covid period with more time at home, it is nice to have the tree inside, sharing the enjoyable Norway Spruce scents, etc.  

Since getting "lighted" is an important priority during the holiday season, how is everyone else progressing for this vital priority??

IMG_5661.jpeg.f3645929885e174089aee4a8efb4fb44.jpeg

• Like 1

Nice tree Terry🙂

No snow here but it did rain almost all night and somewhat this morning too. It stopped enough I was able to get a 30 minute walk in but it is definitely cool and dreary!

Nice Christmas tree for J.P. and Chris at your home.  Appreciate Lois' kind comment and follow-up.  

Watched last night the final episode for season four of The Crown.   As always, the production values, settings, costumes, vehicles, acting, interiors, etc., etc., are super superb.  Watching these programs takes you back in time and makes you feel as if . . . you are "really there"!!  Technically, everything is excellent.  

BUT, there is big debate for that pesky questions related to "HISTORIC ACCURACY"??!!  The Prince of Wales comes off in a very negative manner for his comments, attitudes, treatment of Princess Diana, etc.   Many aspects related to QEII, PM Thatcher, Prince Philip, etc., also come into question. Clearly, the dialog between the characters is mostly speculation and based on "creative license".  Now that this popular series on Netflix has moved closer to current times, there are people still alive who were there and do not agree about certain of the "facts" covered by this series.   Anybody been there to tell us what is or is not true and honest?  

1320026075_ScreenShot2020-12-07at2_23_39PM.png.18c829697cab6f04750e247ebc250224.png

985884716_ScreenShot2020-12-07at2_24_00PM.png.f201b2dca98a1db919be8b82a5aa84c5.png

• Like 1