Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Bikaner.
A City surrounded by the Thar Desert. Dating back to 1488. It was on the trade routes and was favoured because of the natural springs in the area. General Maharaja Ganja Singh who served for the British Army had a huge influence on the city in the early 20th century. He introduced trains and to deal with famine in the State had a 600 mile canal built to bring fresh water from the Punjab. Since the last Maharajah died 8 years ago without a son, only 3 daughters, it's up to his mum who is crowned and she doesn't seem to be  in any hurry to name his successor. 

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2586.JPG

IMG_2553.JPG

IMG_2551.JPG

IMG_2568.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2591.JPG

IMG_2596.JPG

IMG_2582.JPG

• Like 10

Deshnok, Karni Mata, The Rat Temple. The 25,000 rats at the Temple are revered. They are believed to be the reincarnated souls of the faithful in the town (of 25,000 people). It is believed by the followers of Karni Mata that when a person dies they are reincarnated as a rat in the temple and vice versa. They are actually really sweet, not like the big chavvy rats you get in London!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Daveywavey70 said:

Deshnok, Karni Mata, The Rat Temple. The 25,000 rats at the Temple are revered. They are believed to be the reincarnated souls of the faithful in the town (of 25,000 people). It is believed by the followers of Karni Mata that when a person dies they are reincarnated as a rat in the temple and vice versa. They are actually really sweet, not like the big chavvy rats you get in London!

Magnificent voyage DW!  

• Like 1

Haven’t posted in a long while.  We left home Christmas day in our RV to try to avoid traffic and bad weather.  All went well on our 1,000 mile drive despite the fact that our furnace wasn’t working.  Fortunately, we knew that before we left home so I purchased a small space heater which worked perfectly.  The reason for our rushed trip was to get to Florida to adopt Jade.  I had read about her on another social media site back in November.  Fortunately, the shelter was able to find a person to foster her until we could get here.  Jade is a 15 year old black cat who was surrendered in the night drop box in the middle of a tropical storm.  She was not doing well at the shelter, so I followed my heart and adopted her.  Our two previous cats lived to be 19 and 21 so we are hopeful we can give her a good life for many years.  All her tests came back showing she is in excellent health.

it is nice to have a third heartbeat in the house.

Happy new year everyone.

FA5085CB-89C5-41CB-BB00-061741899494.jpeg

• Like 16

7 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Haven’t posted in a long while.  We left home Christmas day in our RV to try to avoid traffic and bad weather.  All went well on our 1,000 mile drive despite the fact that our furnace wasn’t working.  Fortunately, we knew that before we left home so I purchased a small space heater which worked perfectly.  The reason for our rushed trip was to get to Florida to adopt Jade.  I had read about her on another social media site back in November.  Fortunately, the shelter was able to find a person to foster her until we could get here.  Jade is a 15 year old black cat who was surrendered in the night drop box in the middle of a tropical storm.  She was not doing well at the shelter, so I followed my heart and adopted her.  Our two previous cats lived to be 19 and 21 so we are hopeful we can give her a good life for many years.  All her tests came back showing she is in excellent health.

it is nice to have a third heartbeat in the house.

Happy new year everyone.

FA5085CB-89C5-41CB-BB00-061741899494.jpeg

She’s a beauty Embt. I Wish you many happy years together.

• Like 2

Jaiselmer. The Golden City. So named because of the beautiful golden sandstone that many of the intricately carved buildings are made from. Sonar Fort, dominating the skyline above the town, dates back to 1155 and is very much a living breathing town inside the walls. The incredible stone carvings are everywhere. Particularly striking are the Jain Temples within the fort. A Quick stop at a drug dealers house (built on the proceeds of Opium) and then a Visit to Lake Gadisar was a must too. What a magical City.The dog taking in the view of the city below from the top of the tower particularly tickled me. 

DJI_0597.JPG

DJI_0594.JPG

DJI_0600.JPG

DJI_0613.JPG

DJI_0621.JPG

DJI_0632.JPG

DJI_0633.JPG

DJI_0637.JPG

DJI_0640.JPG

DJI_0650.JPG

DJI_0654.JPG

DJI_0655.JPG

DJI_0657.JPG

DJI_0676.JPG

DJI_0674.JPG

DJI_0684.JPG

• Like 8

Jodphur, The Blue City.
So a tour of Mehrangrah Fort, Jodhpur this morning. Sitting on a hilltop 120m above the town. The two most striking things that stay with you are the sight of the Tomb of the man that was buried alive to ensure the good fortune of the fort and the Sati handprints on the wall of the Fort taken from the Wives of the Maharajas just before they threw themselves onto their husbands funeral pyre. The Fort is filled with fascinating artefacts and incredible examples of the miniature paintings that took years to complete.

Next was a visit to Jaswant Thada, the marble mausoleum for the family of the Maharaja. An absolutely breathtaking place. It was paid for by the wife of Maharaja Sadar Singh who sold her wedding necklace to pay for it. It is a mixture of Hindu, Muslim and Jain styles. Whilst we were there they were preparing for the cremation of the Maharajas cousin who had died during the night. Members of the Royal family were arriving as we departed. Obv I didn't take any pics of that. 

A 3 Hour journey followed and arrived at Ranakpur Mid-afternoon. I Visited the Jain Temple in the village. Pics to follow.

DJI_0783.JPG

DJI_0720.JPG

DJI_0729.JPG

DJI_0737.JPG

DJI_0742.JPG

DJI_0746.JPG

• Like 6

So a Mid afternoon arrival to the village of Ranakpur and straight to the Jain Temple. A Fascinating religion with the most magnificent Temples. This one has the foothills of the Aravelli range as a backdrop. I Was approached by the son of the high priest who offered to pray for me for a small donation.. I Know that's not how it works but I humoured him. I Could have spent hours there. Off to the hotel for a butty and a G&T by the pool and then a Bacardi and coke on my balcony as I watched the reflection of the Sunset across the hills. This place becomes more magical by the day. All caught up now!

DJI_0815.JPG

DJI_0826.JPG

DJI_0829.JPG

DJI_0833.JPG

DJI_0817.JPG

DJI_0816.JPG

DJI_0824.JPG

IMG_2761.JPG

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, lincslady said:

This is a fabulous trip, Davey.  Thank you so much for the photos of the wonderful buildings and interiors.  Makes most of the western world look dull by comparison.

Lola

Glad you're enjoying it Lola. There is so much to see everywhere but obviously not everything is so pretty, the amount of litter here is staggering for one. You have to sometimes point your camera a certain way to capture a beautiful monument built with so much love whilst not capturing the pile of rubbish next to it. The poverty that you see makes you ever more grateful for what you have. Some towns and cities are obviously much richer than others. The most beautiful sight of all though is seeing somebody who obviously has nothing share her meagre breakfast with a passing stray dog. We could all learn a lot more from those with a lot less. 

• Like 3

Hi DW, I echo Lola's post.......the beautiful glass of the structures are just amazing.

I am back home from sailing Dawn to the Caribbean and your trip is so much more exciting LOL😃

(I did have a great cruise though🙂).

3 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi DW, I echo Lola's post.......the beautiful glass of the structures are just amazing.

I am back home from sailing Dawn to the Caribbean and your trip is so much more exciting LOL😃

(I did have a great cruise though🙂).

Looked like you had a fab time Lois. I Can't wait to try the new ships. I Was hoping to be embarking in HK tomorrow but gave up going around in circles with SS so came here instead. I Must admit the place has really got under my skin. The one thing I don't miss about cruising is that lack of immersion in a place, a culture and a people. There are several things I do miss though such as the Champagne, Caviar and a decent Butler. I'm such a hypocrite. The other thing that really strikes me is the lack of Westerners out here right now. Im often the only Westerner in a hotel each night. There are many domestic tourists but they don't bring nearly the revenue that we are able to. The entire tourism industry has been hit so hard by "the Nasty" and they so desperately need the income to return. I'd urge everybody that has ever dreamed of experiencing this magical place to just do it. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

In 2019 on our tour of India we would smuggle stuff out at breakfast and give a few stray dogs a treat.  I know you can't feed all of them; that doesn't mean you can't feed some of them. 

I Knew the chicken sausages were good for something TTS😉

• Haha 4