Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

My most exciting excursion was today. We had a head on with another bus. Fortunately it was the worst affected. 
The only injuries on our bus were 4-5 of us with grazed knees. Fortunately mine decided not to bleed despite my rivaroxiban.

IMG_5416.thumb.jpeg.0272f4030adc797dad4e5e41eed6b56f.jpeg

Ours is the white bus.

14 minutes ago, drron29 said:

My most exciting excursion was today. We had a head on with another bus. Fortunately it was the worst affected. 
The only injuries on our bus were 4-5 of us with grazed knees. Fortunately mine decided not to bleed despite my rivaroxiban.

Ours is the white bus.

Egad!  We need a "terrifying" reaction option!  Glad you are okay!!!!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Ours is the white bus.

OMG.....glad nobody was seriously injured! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Ours is the white bus.

You always seem to travel with a little cloud over you head😇

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drron29 said:

Ours is the white bus.

from li'l Abner "Joe Btfsplk"

Joe Btfsplk.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, drron29 said:

We had a head on with another bus.

Holy smokes! Glad everyone was okay.

What speed do you estimate the vehicles were traveling?  Looks like it was much lower than the 90km/h head on crash I was involved in once.

Edited by Stumblefoot
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Holy smokes! Glad everyone was okay.

What speed do you estimate the vehicles were traveling?  Looks like it was much lower than the 90km/h head on crash I was involved in once.

We were stationary and the other was speeding and just didn’t have enough time to stop.

Talking to our neighbours at Indochine tonight they had a worse incident when their bus ran over a young boy on a bike. He was taken to hospital.

• Thanks 1

Returned home late last night from a week visiting Campania Italy & the Amalfi Coast. Great trip but my photos as always not so much - I really enjoy the pix others post here.  I'll add 2 or 3 below.

Sorrento proved to be a great base for exploring the surrounding countryside.  Spending a week in our good but moderately priced hotel (Plaza Sorrento) allowed us to feel part of the familglia (family) there and I recommend the place if you understand what I mean.

The food was almost always excellent as was the wine.  If you enjoy full bodied red wine with lots of top notes, the Aglianico produced in Campania can be superb.  We bought bottles for a bit over 10 Euro there that were just fantastic.

So, a few pictures, our tour included a visit to a farm in the hills above Sorrento.  The picture shows our guide explaining what's happening as a woman prepares mozzarella cheese from aged water buffalo milk

image.thumb.png.8ea5db5b0072063148418589a9c49a71.png

From the excavations at Pompeii, a meatball pan.

I cannot justify why I was so enthused about this archeological find, other than to admit I love a good meatball....

IMG_1524.jpg

Paestum Italy, it was remarkable to walk up to and enter such an ancient building.

IMG_1518.jpg

Me, a happy man in Italy

image.thumb.png.8981392dfd00b02a6e829967efc50bca.png

• Like 9

2 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Returned home late last night from a week visiting Campania Italy & the Amalfi Coast. Great trip but my photos as always not so much - I really enjoy the pix others post here.  I'll add 2 or 3 below.

Sorrento proved to be a great base for exploring the surrounding countryside.  Spending a week in our good but moderately priced hotel (Plaza Sorrento) allowed us to feel part of the familglia (family) there and I recommend the place if you understand what I mean.

The food was almost always excellent as was the wine.  If you enjoy full bodied red wine with lots of top notes, the Aglianico produced in Campania can be superb.  We bought bottles for a bit over 10 Euro there that were just fantastic.

So, a few pictures, our tour included a visit to a farm in the hills above Sorrento.  The picture shows our guide explaining what's happening as a woman prepares mozzarella cheese from aged water buffalo milk.

What a coincidence:  I just booked Plaza Sorrento for 4 nights next October!  Were you on a tour, or did you hire guides for the day?

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Were you on a tour, or did you hire guides for the day?

We were on a tour that was split about 60% scheduled activities, 40% free time (or optional activities).  The hotel is in a great location, very short walk to Tasso square with the sights and shopping there, and an easy walk to the coast.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lincslady said:

" Ooh you are awful - but I like you!"  Catchphrase of very camp British comedian, Dick Emery,  many years ago.

Lola

We actually saw Dick Emery in the Civic theatre in Newcastle, Australia in the late 70s. We were seated in the front row. For the only time in my career I got a call from the hospital just before he started. not urgent but I then had to wait for an appropriate time to do the walk of shame to my seat. He asked Rojaan if I was with her and she nodded. Ooh he's a big one isn't he. His comments went lower from then on. But it was great fun.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

We actually saw Dick Emery in the Civic theatre in Newcastle, Australia in the late 70s. We were seated in the front row. For the only time in my career I got a call from the hospital just before he started. not urgent but I then had to wait for an appropriate time to do the walk of shame to my seat. He asked Rojaan if I was with her and she nodded. Ooh he's a big one isn't he. His comments went lower from then on. But it was great fun.

Reminds me of a night at Stanley airfield after the shooting stopped and things "settled down". One of the first entertainers to come down was Jim Davidson - very much an old school sort with so-called jokes that I didn't find funny then and find offensive now. 

He picked on several members of the audience and was, quite frankly, plain rude. Of course I was on the front row and, of course, the pager went off during his act. "Dear God, I'm for it now" I thought. 

However I had a red cross symbol on one epaulette so as I got up and he stopped and looked straight at me - ready for the kill - I tapped the symbol and mouthed "Emergency Dr on call". Well, he snapped straight back into his routine. I was not only grateful but also very impressed. He may have been objectionable but a true pro. 

• Like 3

Following on, if you will indulge:

British readers will remember Sir Harry Secombe: a founder of The Goon Show , actor, singer, comedian and quite possibly the most famous Welshman of his time. 

He came down to entertain but I missed the show because I was on duty at Stanley Hospital. Anyway, before the show Harry set aside a chunk of his time to come to the hospital and chat to the staff and patients (some of whom, you might imagine, were quite unwell). Well, he was wonderful. He spent so much time with the lads in the wards that he was late for his show and missed dinner. At one point the CO said, "Best get going, Harry, and get some dinner before the show." It was the only time Harry looked cross. "Considering what these boys have suffered, I don't mind missing my dinner." 

A true gentleman. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Following on, if you will indulge:

British readers will remember Sir Harry Secombe: a founder of The Goon Show , actor, singer, comedian and quite possibly the most famous Welshman of his time. 

He came down to entertain but I missed the show because I was on duty at Stanley Hospital. Anyway, before the show Harry set aside a chunk of his time to come to the hospital and chat to the staff and patients (some of whom, you might imagine, were quite unwell). Well, he was wonderful. He spent so much time with the lads in the wards that he was late for his show and missed dinner. At one point the CO said, "Best get going, Harry, and get some dinner before the show." It was the only time Harry looked cross. "Considering what these boys have suffered, I don't mind missing my dinner." 

A true gentleman. 

And a very compassionate human!  Their numbers seem to be dwindling of late! 😒

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, mysty said:

And a very compassionate human!  Their numbers seem to be dwindling of late! 😒

Combined Services Entertainments (CSE) is the body that shunts celebrities around the world to entertain the troops. I don't have too much experience except to say that those that volunteer do end up in some very non-celebrity places. 

I know I had a pop at Mr Davidson earlier but, and this needs saying, he will have spent 48hrs in the back of a C130 Hercules transport aircraft, stayed in someone's spare room in Stanley and chowed down with the troops. 

And I'll tell you another thing: the troops really respect these people but would bring them down to earth in a moment if they got a bit "starry". 

Total respect to CSE and those that don't need to put themselves to the hassle of visiting the troops but still do. And they get nothing other than satisfaction from so doing. 

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, Tothesunset said:

Combined Services Entertainments (CSE) is the body that shunts celebrities around the world to entertain the troops. I don't have too much experience except to say that those that volunteer do end up in some very non-celebrity places. 

I know I had a pop at Mr Davidson earlier but, and this needs saying, he will have spent 48hrs in the back of a C130 Hercules transport aircraft, stayed in someone's spare room in Stanley and chowed down with the troops. 

And I'll tell you another thing: the troops really respect these people but would bring them down to earth in a moment if they got a bit "starry". 

Total respect to CSE and those that don't need to put themselves to the hassle of visiting the troops but still do. And they get nothing other than satisfaction from so doing. 

Thank you for the background TTS!  The "unsung" need to be "sung"!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

except to say that those that volunteer do end up in some very non-celebrity places. 

and I expect do not complain about the food etc

We are indebted to countless men and women who sacrificed their life, limbs, minds for the freedom we enjoy.  

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing . for him. -Johann Von Goethe'

• Like 5
  • Haha 1