Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

DD and l popped over to Ellesmere today in North Shropshire, a beautiful little town with both meres, canals and individual locally owned shops…a few purchases followed by a pub lunch made for a perfect outing 😊

IMG_3150.jpeg

IMG_3149.jpeg

• Like 8

I spelt her wrong too - not Simone Byles or Simon Biles (she is definitely not a boy) but Simone Biles.  We each got it half right.  She is indeed amazing, but I do wonder if being so tiny -  4' 7" - helps with a bit more room to do all the twists and turns; she does not need quite as much!

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I spelt her wrong too - not Simone Byles or Simon Biles (she is definitely not a boy) but Simone Biles.  We each got it half right.  She is indeed amazing, but I do wonder if being so tiny -  4' 7" - helps with a bit more room to do all the twists and turns; she does not need quite as much!

She is just awesome!! And she won another gold medal today on the vault.😃

• Like 5

I started reading another enjoyable mystery series years ago.  I am intending to finish working my way through it.  This one takes place in France.  One of the delights of this series is the description of the meals Bruno creates.  I salivated with every one.

Bruno, Chief of Police Series
 by Martin Walker

Benoît Courrèges, aka Bruno, is a former soldier turned policeman, who has embraced the pleasures and slow rhythms of country life in the idyllic village of St. Denis in the South of France. But a series of murders, intrigues, and other crimes soon interrupt his peace and quiet. In the Mystery of the French Countryside novels, Bruno must balance his beloved routines—living in his restored shepherd’s cottage, shopping at the local market, drinking wine—with his thrilling detective duties.

The first book in the series is called Bruno, Chief of Police.

9780307454690.jpg.c62b1fe51fdc418e349e5ce321b8fe18.jpg

From Penguin Random House:

"The first installment in the delightful, internationally acclaimed series featuring Chief of Police Bruno.

Meet Benoît Courrèges, aka Bruno, a policeman in a small village in the South of France.  He’s a former soldier who has embraced the pleasures and slow rhythms of country life. He has a gun but never wears it; he has the power to arrest but never uses it.  But then the murder of an elderly North African who fought in the French army changes all that.  Now Bruno must balance his beloved routines—living in his restored shepherd’s cottage, shopping at the local market, drinking wine, strolling the countryside—with a politically delicate investigation.  He’s paired with a young policewoman from Paris and the two suspect anti-immigrant militants.  As they learn more about the dead man’s past, Bruno’s suspicions turn toward a more complex motive."

The link below gives the books in order: 

https://www.goodreads.com/series/52300-bruno-chief-of-police

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On the same subject, I watched the men's pommel horse event,  which I would not normally bother with but it is Max Whitlock's last event ever, and he has been a stalwart of the British team for a long time and won many medals.  Sadly, he ended up fourth, partly because the standard has gone up enormously recently, but as I said about Simone Biles,  the Irishman who deservedly got the Gold medal is fairly small and slightly built, which, comparing him with Max Whitlock again struck me as a bit of an advantage for this sort of event.

Is anyone else a bit surprised to see how many male athletes wear all sorts of jewellery, and even nail varnish?  With all the tattoos as well and the strange hairdos it can be hard to imagine what they really look like without all the trimmings.  Obviously this is the opinion of a very old woman here, who doesn't really even like pierced ears, and prefers to wear jewellery which you can change at will to tattoos which you are stuck with for life.  I'm definitely out of sync. with the modern way of how to look attractive.  Thanks for ploughing through this, if you have.

• Like 8

Don't get me buying yet more books, Mysty; I have not yet read the four which are arriving on Monday!  But a roman policier set in the south of France sounds very tempting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, lincslady said:

On the same subject, I watched the men's pommel horse event,  which I would not normally bother with but it is Max Whitlock's last event ever, and he has been a stalwart of the British team for a long time and won many medals.  Sadly, he ended up fourth, partly because the standard has gone up enormously recently, but as I said about Simone Biles,  the Irishman who deservedly got the Gold medal is fairly small and slightly built, which, comparing him with Max Whitlock again struck me as a bit of an advantage for this sort of event.

Is anyone else a bit surprised to see how many male athletes wear all sorts of jewellery, and even nail varnish?  With all the tattoos as well and the strange hairdos it can be hard to imagine what they really look like without all the trimmings.  Obviously this is the opinion of a very old woman here, who doesn't really even like pierced ears, and prefers to wear jewellery which you can change at will to tattoos which you are stuck with for life.  I'm definitely out of sync. with the modern way of how to look attractive.  Thanks for ploughing through this, if you have.

Pierced ears are my limit….almost had a fit a few years ago when my granddaughter seemed to think it cool to have a ring in her nose 🫣…l called it her bull ring…thankfully now she’s older and wiser it’s gone. 
Don’t mind the guys wearing some jewellery but not dripping in it!

😊

• Haha 3

Good Evening Coolers,

All the talk of food, I thought I’d mention one of my favourite films that many haven’t viewed or even heard of and it is Babette’s Feast.  It was in fact the first Danish film to win an Oscar - for Best Foreign Language Film. It’s very atmospheric and a lovely film.

It’s to buy or rentable for a few pounds/dollars/euros on several streams including Amazon, Apple and Youtube - but if you are going to watch it and are dithering about paying double - then buy it.  I watch it around once a year.  It has been said by  many that it is the best foody film of all time. 

If you plan to watch it then I suggest you don’t read any full reviews because it might spoil it a little, although in spite of viewing it often I find it sublime regularly.

A late night film when it’s quiet in order to enjoy it fully.

I’d like to hear if you give it a view.

Jeff

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092603/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lirio said:

Spring arrived for one of my orchids! I hope the others will soom bloom as well.

flor2.thumb.jpg.22ed49c405f160b1513e2781572b6643.jpg

Have you visited The Orchid Garden in Singapore?

It is Orchid Heaven.  It is worthwhile visiting if you are an Orchidy just for the garden. 

Jeff

Jeff

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Since Covid everybody seems to have a rescue dog.  We instead have a rescue orchid – and in gratitude it has put our the best display we have ever gotten:

IMG_1976.thumb.jpg.43f8c93bd8708814540457f457bee5b2.jpg

I don’t mean to “out” you J, but you aren’t indulging that orchid with bottled water are you? 😉

Jeff

Just now, UKCruiseJeff said:

I don’t mean to “out” you J, but you aren’t indulging that orchid with bottled water are you? 😉

Jeff

Those round jugs in the background were once filled with Poland Spring, but in the best spirit of recycling DW now uses them to let the chlorine escape from tap water [which by the way killed a goldfish back in the day].  In the far background you can see my Brita filter, which takes away the other chemical traces that I can still taste in our tap water thanks to the ever-increasing chemical load mandated by ever-increasing regulations...  [We are the generation that used to chomp on mercury thermometers and eat vegetables from cans with lead solder – we are now immune to everything!]

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

@mysty and others who are beginning to read the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny:  I loved these books at the beginning, but stopped reading after the first dozen or so because the Quebec political arc has gotten so dark and depressing.  I would be afraid to revisit the Eastern Townships after reading about this deep level of corruption – thankfully the books are fiction, and I hope the corruption is too.  But it was no fun to read...  [For the same reason I stopped reading Peter Tremayne's series about Sister Fidelma in 7th-century Ireland – his anti-Roman Catholic screed became very tiresome.]

• Like 2

So, we coolers are Olympics watchers, a bit partial to our countrymen and women, lovers of good cuisine & wine, cruising, and of note lately, a good book.  I find this delightful.

I read science fiction and fantasy, although I have downloaded Mysty's latest mystery suggestion and will be reading it soon. Thought of you all when I saw this posted by a dear friend on FB.

No photo description available.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

A hurricane is headed to Alligator Point where I am spending the week.  They have issued a mandatory evacuation for tomorrow.  It’s always something!

Hope it passes softly Ems.

Jeff

• Like 2

Being confused about what is my own favourite piece of music it occurred to me that it’s perfectly acceptable and indeed consistent to have your very favourite changing moment by moment.

It is what is right for that moment than a life-long commitment. 

Jeff

• Like 4