Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Good morning friends:classic_smile:....so many changes happening it can be a bit disconcerting. But I know it is for the health

of everyone.

JP, has your ER been slammed? Hope things are going well.

No booked cruises for us to cancel this year, but we do have a golf trip planned at the end of April. 
Twenty of us, all between 70 and 80 years old, some with health issues have to decide whether to cancel. 
It’s a very social week with golf, food ( restaurants) and wine.  🥂🥂🥂
Australia is behind Europe and America in the number of Coronavirus cases and deaths but the numbers are increasing rapidly.  Not sure how it will be in a month but feel we could be in lockdown by then. 
Not sure about other countries but here the toilet paper is the scarcest commodity!  I’m sure some people have 10 years supply in their garage!!

Stay well everyone. 

• Like 2

Jilly, seems that Toilet Paper issue is around the world:classic_wacko:....lacking here too.  It is really weird.....people are buying it

like they will never have any again. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, mysty said:

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny (and a possible answer to the mystery of the run on toilet paper).....

unnamed.png.282b973d2a682d0b556d41db419effea.png

Have a great day all!

Instead of Zombie Apocalyse, it's the Mummy Apocalyse, and they're here for our toilet paper!

• Haha 2

Good morning coolers...…..well, today is my 62nd birthday......is 62 the new 42?

Here is some cake and we can all share:classic_biggrin:  since we can't sail on a ship, we can at least eat one LOL

See the source image

• Like 1

Happy Birthday, Lois! Strange times we are in.

A very somber meeting of the medical staff at our hospital yesterday. Lots still unknown and unpredictable, and recommendations change by the hour. Capacity vs. Demand is a huge concern as we are a very small operation and staff is already at borderline levels. The models predict a surge of cases starting in 7-10 days.

All previously approved vacation requests have been canceled and will be re-evaluated on a short-term basis, closer to the actual date. This hits a lot of the staff during what was supposed to be Spring break for their kids, though that's obviously changed already. 

But we really need all hands on deck from now on. Our little-known fourth mission here at VA is to help back up civilian facilities in the event of a national disaster, so even if we aren't inundated with sick veterans, we may still get patients from other hospitals. 

When it hits the fan we will probably fill our small ICU quickly and devise some sort of contingency for overflow. Not yet sure what that will be, as I am sure that other hospitals will not have extra room either. As luck would have it, I start my week-long ICU rotation on Monday. Happy Birthday to me...

The Medical Students have all been dismissed as of yesterday morning. So far, we still have our residents, but we are a little concerned that they too could go, which would be a disaster. We were told that NYU has dismissed their entire group of medicine residents from all three hospitals, including the Manhattan VA, and also Bellevue Hospital. I spent a little time there in the 1990s and in those two hospitals, the residents did all of the work. I cannot imagine how those hospitals will function without house staff. 

Here, even if the residents stay, we will probably recruit extra help from other members of our medical staff. Many of them haven't cared for critically ill patients in decades. But, there are only 3 of us here with critical care experience,  and if (when?) we get sick and have to drop out... I don't really want to think about it.

I'm switching as many routine follow up visits as I possibly can to telephone calls. Chris will hopefully start reading cases from home soon. I'm sure that I will eventually get exposed but the longer I can delay it, the better our chances to ride this out.

So, let's do what we can to slow the spread of this virus. Stay safe, everyone! And, stay away from the hospitals unless you really need it! If you can safely put off routine tests and visits, it may just help to keep your doctors, nurses, and other health care professionals safe longer. We can't get through this without our X-Ray techs, respiratory therapists, environmental services folks, and all of the others who make our system work.

If this is all an over-reaction, that would be the best news I could imagine. See you all on the other side. 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Camillus112 said:

A very Happy Birthday, Lois!  

It's great to know that you are recuperating and I'm sure that, after this viral ordeal is past, you'll renew your happy travels.  Enjoy your new year!

Thanks Cam:classic_smile:

Hi JP, I wish you and Chris all the best and certainly hope your hospital will be able to handle what is coming.

It really does sound as if we (America) are VERY behind the curve on what supplies/beds/etc are needed for

all our hospitals......and if WE don't start listening to the scientists/medical people, we are going to look like

Italy:classic_sad:

I really do wish you the best and hopefully your health will be ok...…….

Thank you and Chris (and all the Dr's, Nurses, etc) for your service.