Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

2 hours ago, Sodashire said:

Jeff. Great to have your food pics back,  please continue as you used to do. One can just about smell and taste the food without having to do all the slog of buying, preparing, cooking and cleaning up afterwards

Thanks for the kind thoughts ….

This was my wife’s birthday lunch and the god’s of crustacea shone their generous light on me and despite the little b*gers not wanting to join lunch they all opened in time with no blood spilled.  

Later I had arranged a birthday greeting from Dionne Warwick whose mother coincidentally shared wifey’s birthday.  So is the joy if the interweb and the shocked expression on wifey’s face was worth the effort.

23C27021-43C3-42F9-8102-FADCA0571353.jpeg

B9765208-C104-41A9-B738-A7D538E126C5.jpeg

B25FB5E0-E97F-4BE7-A786-D55BD4F30E58.jpeg

1CEEA526-D569-4867-BD93-A0A1920532CA.jpeg

A2D3AE1D-7661-449D-973C-D4EA5CF8B794.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

Wow mysty, that's beautiful.  Hope its ok if I pass it along in a couple emails to some people I care about...

Please feel free to share whatever I humbly contribute to the Cooler Que!  This message in particular needs sharing!  🥰

• Like 1

A productive day today. We went out for a nice hike this morning then this afternoon, I installed a new light fixture in the ceiling of the stairway leading down to the wine cellar.

To celebrate, we opened the third bottle of Corsican wine tonight. This time, a rose from Vignoble Buzzo Bunifazziu, located near Sant'Amanza. We bought this bottle from a store in Bonifacio.

20211002_191101.thumb.jpg.2d518452b412d0f71bb6255e095ced43.jpg

It was hard to find any information about the wine prior to deciding what to pair it with. The grapes (Sciaccarellu and Niellucciu) aren't particularly well-known to us. There was one review in French on Vivino so I took a chance and paired it with grilled eggplant (just picked from the garden 5 minutes before grilling), salmon, and a French lentil salad.

20211002_183236.thumb.jpg.7b7f91ef7364808a6fba52153597de1b.jpg

The wine had a nice coppery color. I smelled a pine-like note that reminded me of the Maquis (the Corsican lowlands with scrub vegetation near that region). There was a little grapefruit flavor and just enough acidity to cut through the rich salmon. I will write a review on Vivino so now there will be two!

So far we've liked all three wines that we have tried. That's fortunate because I can't really take them back at this point... 😉 The red was a little light but still nice. Looking forward to the rest!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 6

19 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

A productive day today. We went out for a nice hike this morning then this afternoon, I installed a new light fixture in the ceiling of the stairway leading down to the wine cellar.

To celebrate, we opened the third bottle of Corsican wine tonight. This time, a rose from Vignoble Buzzo Bunifazziu, located near Sant'Amanza. We bought this bottle from a store in Bonifacio.

20211002_191101.thumb.jpg.2d518452b412d0f71bb6255e095ced43.jpg

It was hard to find any information about the wine prior to deciding what to pair it with. The grapes (Sciaccarellu and Niellucciu) aren't particularly well-known to us. There was one review in French on Vivino so I took a chance and paired it with grilled eggplant (just picked from the garden 5 minutes before grilling), salmon, and a French lentil salad.

20211002_183236.thumb.jpg.7b7f91ef7364808a6fba52153597de1b.jpg

The wine had a nice coppery color. I smelled a pine-like note that reminded me of the Maquis (the Corsican lowlands with scrub vegetation near that region). There was a little grapefruit flavor and just enough acidity to cut through the rich salmon. I will write a review on Vivino so now there will be two!

So far we've liked all three wines that we have tried. That's fortunate because I can't really take them back at this point... 😉 The red was a little light but still nice. Looking forward to the rest!

JP, our LCBO had an offering of what they called "orange wines" last month.  We bought a bottle and quite enjoyed it.  It your coppery wine considered an "orange wine?  

https://www.lcbo.com/content/lcbo/en/vintages/wine-learning-hq/vintages-hot-trend-orange-wines.html

3 minutes ago, mysty said:

JP, our LCBO had an offering of what they called "orange wines" last month.  We bought a bottle and quite enjoyed it.  It your coppery wine considered an "orange wine?  

M, the wine that we had is just a rosé with that particular color, made from red grapes with short skin contact time. The copper color in my wine probably comes from the Nielluccio grape which is genetically very similar to Sangiovese (some say it's a clone thereof). That coppery color is common in Sangiovese.

Orange wines are made with extended skin contact with white, pink, or gray (Gris) grapes, such as Pinot Grigio. Ramato seems to be popular these days...I should look for some.

There are some similarities in the final products, in terms of how they look, but in general rosé wine has much less tannin due to the short skin contact time, and orange wine has much more tannin.

This article https://vinepair.com/articles/rose-and-orange-wine/ describes rosé wine as a red grape made in a white wine style, and orange wine as a white grape made in a red wine style. Not a bad way to remember this.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

M, the wine that we had is just a rosé with that particular color, made from red grapes with short skin contact time. The copper color in my wine probably comes from the Nielluccio grape which is genetically very similar to Sangiovese (some say it's a clone thereof). That coppery color is common in Sangiovese.

Orange wines are made with extended skin contact with white, pink, or gray (Gris) grapes, such as Pinot Grigio. Ramato seems to be popular these days...I should look for some.

There are some similarities in the final products, in terms of how they look, but in general rosé wine has much less tannin due to the short skin contact time, and orange wine has much more tannin.

This article https://vinepair.com/articles/rose-and-orange-wine/ describes rosé wine as a red grape made in a white wine style, and orange wine as a white grape made in a red wine style. Not a bad way to remember this.

Merci bien, Monsieur! 😁

• Like 1

10 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

so  I therefore have a purpose in life and I am therefore stunningly happy. 

I love it, thumbs up to you & I will endeavor to follow!

To all:

Us older folks are different IMO and we have an obligation to share what those who have gone before us have learned.  I mean our parents or others we knew when we were young.  All the internet etc stuff be damned, we need to speak to those who might listen.

But CC probably not the place, right?  Surely...

So I'll post a song.  You Aussies could teach us USA a lot I think....

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

I love it, thumbs up to you & I will endeavor to follow!

To all:

Us older folks are different IMO and we have an obligation to share what those who have gone before us have learned.  I mean our parents or others we knew when we were young.  All the internet etc stuff be damned, we need to speak to those who might listen.

But CC probably not the place, right?  Surely...

So I'll post a song.  You Aussies could teach us USA a lot I think....

Powerful Que!  Calls to mind the quote by George Santayana  " Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."   It starts with divisiveness!  It needs to end with inclusiveness!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Thanks for the kind thoughts ….

This was my wife’s birthday lunch and the god’s of crustacea shone their generous light on me and despite the little b*gers not wanting to join lunch they all opened in time with no blood spilled.  

Later I had arranged a birthday greeting from Dionne Warwick whose mother coincidentally shared wifey’s birthday.  So is the joy if the interweb and the shocked expression on wifey’s face was worth the effort.

23C27021-43C3-42F9-8102-FADCA0571353.jpeg

B9765208-C104-41A9-B738-A7D538E126C5.jpeg

B25FB5E0-E97F-4BE7-A786-D55BD4F30E58.jpeg

1CEEA526-D569-4867-BD93-A0A1920532CA.jpeg

A2D3AE1D-7661-449D-973C-D4EA5CF8B794.jpeg

Happy Birthday Mrs Jeff!  Your birthday meal looks fit for a queen!  😁

Just thought I would say hello and good morning to all of you and hope everyone is doing well. I am down to 3 days and counting. I fly to Lisbon on Wednesday afternoon. Having my Antigen test tomorrow afternoon. 

Jeff, nice to see you again.  Whoever posted that bottle of La Crema earlier? Love that wine.......they make an awesome Pinot Noir as well, if anyone is interested.

Mysty, your positive thought postings are wonderful.

Spin, I LOVE your post.😃  May I copy and paste it to another thread I chat on?

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, spinnaker2 said:

Lois, I copied it from another, actually my Greek cousin, who did not write it either.

So long answer to your question is of course. 

On another note, what kind of hoops must you jump thru to travel to Lisbon and surrounding countries?

Hi, not too many hoops really. I printed my Passenger Locator Form this morning. I did have to re-do it because of mistakes I made on it....but it is all good now.  Just having the Antigen test. Of course before I disembark I will have to have another test to fly home. I also have to fill out a form from the Netherlands since I am going to be "in transit"......my flight from Lisbon, stops at AMS for about 1.5 hour layover. Even for a short stop, they have a Declaration Form that you need to fill out.  Will do that while I am on the ship.  I am staying in Lisbon for 1 night post cruise but that was due to flights home.

Thankfully, the time frame for having the last test is still ok for me to have it done from the ship. The US gives you a full 3 days before flying in....so will have the test on OCT 19th, disembark on the 20th and fly home on OCT 21st.

• Like 2

@spinnaker2  That was a wonderful post. I received my Booster yesterday!  

My daughter in CA had the virus last Christmas and refused to get the vaccine. Well, she needed some financial assistance due to not being able to work for a few months due to Covid in CA.  I told her that if she gets the virus a 2nd time she will be out of work again due to illness.  Guess what? Mom and the World won this war. She received her 1st Pfizer dose yesterday.

She can now come to our home for Thanksgiving too. Tough Love is important.

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, QueSeraSera said:

lorde and the lead singer from the Bleachers perform "Don't take the money"

emotional song

Beautiful Que!  Thank you!  Your music taste is very eclectic and a joy! 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iowa_al said:

I admit it. I'm just looking for places to post today so that I can rid of that newbie flag - I don't even know what that is - a baseball mitt or a feather?

Or maybe it's a function of time and not post count. Does anybody know?

Hi, iowa_al!

I think it's a waving hand. Like you're saying waving at everyone, saying hello.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mysty said:

@wine-wine-wine  Welcome to the Cooler Bar!  We pulled a bar stool out of storage and dusted it off for you!  Hope you enjoy the camaraderie here!  😁

Thanks @mysty! I really so appreciate your positive posts in this thread. Hope we can meet on a future SS cruise! 

DW and I are counting down to two very, very different cruises now:

• Moon TA on Nov 19 - our first SS cruise! 🎉
  • A 2 week archaeologically focused gullet cruise in the Cyclades next August

I suspect we'll be missing the caviar mightily in the later one. ;-)

Obligatory random wine themed photo attached - covid wine bunny at Hall Winery in Saint Helena last year. 😷🍷

covid-bunny.jpeg.f9c8f5da4e13ece528d2c3f3b5a3ef91.jpeg

• Like 5