Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

3 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

I know I am older than mysty, and I am not sure if I am older than you Lola,  but Stumbles and JP  can verify I am an old lady  -  is there a prize  for the  oldest SS sailor on CC  ? 

I could never verify such an untruth! Perish the thought.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

I know I am older than mysty, and I am not sure if I am older than you Lola,  but Stumbles and JP  can verify I am an old lady  -  is there a prize  for the  oldest SS sailor on CC  ? 

Sadly not, as most of us prefer to not be too specific; I find people's attitude to you can change if you seem younger than you actually are, and not for the better!  So I suggest that we keep it  vague.

Just got back from a lovely 'gastropub' lunch - we just had two starters each, me whitebait, which I haven't seen on a menu for years, I guess it is old fashioned, but was lovely, and then chicken breast strips in very light batter with sweet chilli sauce.  In other words, not gourmet, but very tasty.  Oh, and a very large glass of NZ sauvignon blanc, nicely chilled.   We will be going again; hadn't tried it before.

Lola

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Sadly not, as most of us prefer to not be too specific; I find people's attitude to you can change if you seem younger than you actually are, and not for the better!  So I suggest that we keep it  vague.

Just got back from a lovely 'gastropub' lunch - we just had two starters each, me whitebait, which I haven't seen on a menu for years, I guess it is old fashioned, but was lovely, and then chicken breast strips in very light batter with sweet chilli sauce.  In other words, not gourmet, but very tasty.  Oh, and a very large glass of NZ sauvignon blanc, nicely chilled.   We will be going again; hadn't tried it before.

Lola

Lovely post from you and Rojaan. 🙂

Some are younger and they may have functioning equipment that is in better condition but are prematurely old at heart.  They effectively have their joyful life behind them.  Others may have equipment that is failing but are young at heart.  They still look forward to tommorow and are joyful about what there is still to learn and enjoy. 

My peripherals may be increasingly creaky but this week I made the best chicken wings wifey says she has ever eaten,  and she tells me that this weeks "Broth of God" was also the best I have made and she demands that I make her baguettes every day so  I therefore have a purpose in life and I am therefore stunningly happy. 

Youngsters don't do any of this stuff so how can they possibly be happy.

• Like 9

45 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Lola

Love the pub measures of wine. 

Small: 125ml

Medium: 175ml

Large: 250ml  ......hic

3 glasses of wine in a pub and that's a bottle down

Cheers.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Jeff, our youngest son ( mid 20's) makes a fantastic sourdough bread on a regular basis and he does make a mean beef and vegetable broth. 

Admittedly there are a lot meal deliveries  in between.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Lovely post from you and Rojaan. 🙂

Some are younger and they may have functioning equipment that is in better condition but are prematurely old at heart.  They effectively have their joyful life behind them.  Others may have equipment that is failing but are young at heart.  They still look forward to tommorow and are joyful about what there is still to learn and enjoy. 

My peripherals may be increasingly creaky but this week I made the best chicken wings wifey says she has ever eaten,  and she tells me that this weeks "Broth of God" was also the best I have made and she demands that I make her baguettes every day so  I therefore have a purpose in life and I am therefore stunningly happy. 

Quite right J!  Age does not define "old"!  Attitude does!  In my admittedly limited experience "old" folks consider themselves to be in the prime of their lives regardless of the state of the bag of skin and bones they walk around in.  Finding the simple joys each day contributes to that!  And maybe it is easier to recognize those simple pleasures when you can take the time to look for them. 😁

• Like 4

My excuse for one third of a bottle is that it was, for various reasons, a special occasion for me.  I doubt if I would drink that much at home (although I would have already downed  a Negroni or similar).

Thanks for all the comments; I do rather need cheering up at present, and you are all  helping.

Lola

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lincslady said:

My excuse for one third of a bottle is that it was, for various reasons, a special occasion for me.  I doubt if I would drink that much at home (although I would have already downed  a Negroni or similar).

Thanks for all the comments; I do rather need cheering up at present, and you are all  helping.

Lola

L,

Really hacked off that I amso utterly  impotent to know precisely what to say to cheer you up, but will just say that if I knew I'd do it.  And I'd even pay to do it! 

Life is an absolute bummer for many at the moment, and all of us have our fair share.  Older people don't talk about it much.  You will always be impish, young, highely e-attractive to me and if it is possible for peope to understand how you can feel affection for people you have never met, then I do!  I'd like to think of myself as being the person who christened you.  So there.

I may not know precisely what is ailing you but I do understand how you feel!

Upper lip gloss Lola.  🙂

Jeff

• Like 3

A little something I penned years ago.....

Hourglass of Youth

The signs of aging tip toe in
A memory loss or two
Before you know it you’re slipping down
The hourglass of youth.

You lose hair where some you had
And find hair where none there was.
Voices start to whisper
When they used to be a buzz.

Eyesight becomes a problem
Can’t read without the specs
Joints ache and throb and bother
It’s much harder now to rest.

You’re an old coot now and glory
Speak your mind without concern
You’re expected to be crotchety
One of the benefits you’ll learn.

And benefits of age there are
Senior discounts, wisdom too.
And it all awaits those who make it 
To the other side of youth.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I often think of a lyric from Bob Dylan's "My Back Pages", actually the chorus:

"Ah, but I was so much older then,

I'm younger than that now."

The song is sort of a tirade about getting an education, in a way, with a less than glowing review of (then 1970's) college education (of the more high faultin' type, I gather).  Anyway, the gist I took away from it was that the person singing the song felt they had grown younger (in the mind) by getting their perhaps "street" education - school of hard knocks and all that.  So, I keep getting younger by the minute, by that standard!

• Like 2

I am not ill, Jeff, (I don't think), but have a problem which will get resolved.  I will probably talk about it in due course, as it is the sort of thing which affects most of us at some time.  My children are very supportive and helpful, as are a few close friends.  I will keep schtum until then, as this forum is mostly about being  upbeat and interested in life in general, and I am conscious of posting a bit too much at present.

Thanks,

Lola

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I am not ill, Jeff, (I don't think), but have a problem which will get resolved.  I will probably talk about it in due course, as it is the sort of thing which affects most of us at some time.  My children are very supportive and helpful, as are a few close friends.  I will keep schtum until then, as this forum is mostly about being  upbeat and interested in life in general, and I am conscious of posting a bit too much at present.

Thanks,

Lola

Lola there is no limit on posts here in the Cooler Bar!  There is no "Last Call".  Else my hind quarters would have been booted out long ago!  😁  Linger and post as the spirit or spirits move you!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lincslady said:

Thanks,

Lola

I cannot recall you ever be boring so not possible to over-post.

Grab an e-ladle. 🙂

5A3303C0-E32B-4BB0-B491-5EF93CADF788.jpeg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, rojaan19 said:

Stumbles and JP  can verify I am an old lady

5 hours ago, jpalbny said:

I could never verify such an untruth! Perish the thought.

I’m with JP!

While a lady never reveals her age, a {smart} man never breaks her confidence either.  From my experience sailing with Rojann, she easily keeps up with the youngsters on board SS.

• Like 3

Thanks again, everyone - and it is especially good to hear from Jeff again.  I have missed his food pics and views from his seaside  house, and had hoped he was OK, as had many of us.

I am not promising not to post, just to only do hopefully amusing or interesting ones at present, probably using my old-fashioned English.  I do love words.

Lola

• Like 2