Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

Greetings Coolers!

Today's funny.....for those with a sweet tooth...

39223036_1831638506883172_955765643678842880_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=f3807bb9f869808a040dd21ec708af2d&oe=5C113D82

It's called a Nanaimo bar. The Nanaimo bar is a dessert item of Canadian origin. It is a bar dessert which requires no baking and is named after the city of Nanaimo, British Columbia on Vancouver Island.

Have a great day all!

Oh I love Nanaimo bars. My friend lives in Burnaby and whenever I visit we always manage to find some ;p

J...the ribeye looks yummy. Thanks for the links on Vienna. It is one of the places on our must-see list. Now more than ever! :)

besberry....so glad you enjoy the Nanaimo bars! Butter tarts are also a Canadian favourite! :)

M, I had been googling and searching for the scrummy looking choc ... but they are difficult to come by here. Stuff close to it - I may have to make some.

We started visitng Vienna very regularly over 40 years ago and would you believe around 20 years ago we felt we had overdosed and announced our last visit only to suffer real withdrawal symptoms and quickly returned.

It is a shame you didn’t see Vienna some time ago. It is hard to imagine how really civilised it was and to a lesser degree still is. 20 years ago, youngsters would routinely stand up on buses and trains to let older people sit. There were no mobile phones to disturb others and rightly or wrongly women wore fur coats in winter. Although changed it is lovely to see it at the top of that list and I perfectly understand why. You must visit on your way to Singapore ........ :D

J....I found a recipe for you:

http://hiddenponies.com/2012/12/saturday-sweets-best-ever-nanaimo-bars/

Yes, I wish we had visited Vienna years ago. It sounds like it was a magical place. I'm sure it is still lovely. I can imagine the old grandeur would have added something special to the mix in the past.

Thanks.

I shall give it a go when I have a touch more calorie courage ..... :D

Dave talking of all stuff Vienna ... and I know you like to dabble and experiment ... my proudest invention was a cross between baclava and apple strudel. No name was invented but it was a truly epic invention. I thought of it after a rather “inspiring” several lunchtime bottles. ;)

You must try ......

Two shapes have been tried .....the first piccy is just a plain home made strudel .. followed by baclavastrudels.

562811c83354fa83691614235abb2b5a.jpg

6c501e44684c7baa1923114ac6cc426b.jpg

357ec22fdee7e2932ba5fe32bea4975e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome home Davey! Those viruses can be pretty nasty so hope you mend fast.

Mysty, thanks for the Nanaimo bar picture and education. I have to fit into my traveling clothes in 3 weeks so I'll just look but not eat.

Ah Vienna. Always enjoyed our visits. Hope to return soon.

Any London-area Coolers up for a drink on the 6th of September?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

Welcome home Davey! Those viruses can be pretty nasty so hope you mend fast.

Mysty, thanks for the Nanaimo bar picture and education. I have to fit into my traveling clothes in 3 weeks so I'll just look but not eat.

Ah Vienna. Always enjoyed our visits. Hope to return soon.

Any London-area Coolers up for a drink on the 6th of September?

We'll be there on the 9th?

Sorry, Mudhen! We arrive in London the 6th and leave the 7th. Back the night of the 17th and fly home the 19th.

On the 9th we'll be arriving into Hamburg. Remind me again, why are you in London?

Boarding the Spirit on the 10th, as am I. At Tilbury, ugh.

I leave home 6th, arrive London 7th, so I guess we'll miss. Other coolers on the Spirit aren't coming till 8th or 9th, I think.

No doubt about that, Mysty! Control is overrated. Or at least it seems so.

Bummer Jeff. Next time it is. This will be our fifth visit to London so we don't have too much on the agenda. We decided to finally visit Buckingham Palace so I reserved tickets for the first tour of the day on the 7th. We will find lots to keep us busy, I'm sure.

Jolly, thanks for the reminder. I can barely keep track of my trips, let alone everyone else's. We leave London in the afternoon of the 7th on the Eurostar train. After an overnight in Paris we fly to CPH early Saturday to board Silver Wind. Enjoy your TA!

It's a great time to be reading the SS boards. Two great trip blogs are going on now. RachelG is on Silver Explorer now in the Russian Far East, and papaBme is on Silver Whisper in the Adriatic. Good stuff in both places. Can't wait to get my own report started! 23 days...

Davey, hope the convalescence continues to progress along as fast as possible, and that you're back to usual very soon. If not already!

Today is our Friday as we are off tomorrow. But next week it's back to the on-call routine. At least for me, it's not a full week on call. I split my week so I'm on Monday-Thursday then not on call for a week, then back on call for Labor Day weekend. Could be worse. Once I finish that, we're pretty much on vacation!

Afternoon all.

Many thanks for the chocs JP hope they’re all milk I can’t eat dark choc :( most annoying. Have a great weekend tomorrow.

J, any chance of posting me a slice from piccy 2 -pretty please?

Still feeling grotty but paracetamol keeping my temp down to between 38.3 - 38.6 so its getting there. Very bored of it now.

Jolly, make sure you shots are up to date if your going to Tilbury! Why on earth would they choose Tilbury?

Hi Dave ....

I've just gone back through the piccies and I didn't save one of the diamond traditional shaped baclavastrudel.

What I did was layer the tin with butter-brushed filo, added a thickish baclava layer then a single filo layer which was just enough to serarate the top apple strudel layer ie apple, pistachio, sultanas, from the lower layers. I then added a syrup made with calvados which then sunk in and soaked the bottom enriched pistachio baclava layer. I left it for a day in the fridge and it was pretty special and worthy of the "experiment".

I'm a bit suprisded not to have seen anything quite like it during travels in Turkey, Greece or even Vienna to be honest, so perhaps my warped sense of adventure "invented" it? As you are in a "sweet" mood - some other sweet meanderings ....

0787D39A-9D94-4C39-B1AC-0F963E17A9E7_1.jpg

D8748A72-941E-48E0-B5CB-F22809CEE682_zpshilutxoo.jpg.html?sort=3&o=32

2386DED7-06F2-4DE2-8023-1362B720EE8A.jpg

071077E4-E7CA-4CCF-B9B0-EFC3A594293C.jpg

F8DC43BB-9139-4290-B8CB-D01E839FFC2E.jpg

D8748A72-941E-48E0-B5CB-F22809CEE682_zpshilutxoo.jpg.html?sort=3&o=32

On a "not-so-tasty " note.....It seems US print media are reacting to the 'sustained assault' on journalists.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/us-newspapers-editorials-trump-attacks-press-1.4787241

"Hundreds of U.S. newspapers devoted print space on Thursday to a co-ordinated defence of media freedom and a rebuke of President Donald Trump for saying some media organizations are enemies of the American people.

The Boston Globe and the New York Times took part in the push along with more than 350 other newspapers of all sizes, including some in states that Trump won during the 2016 presidential election. At least one Canadian newspaper, the Toronto Star, also participated."