How casual can you get?

Tucson17

My wife and I are taking the STAR to Alaska in sept and rumor has it that these cruises are very casual, so I would like everyones input on just how casual they can be (clothes ,dining, etc) Thanks in advance,Tuscon 17

I guess it depends on your definition of "casual." My suggestion would be to not be a slob. Can you wear clean jeans without holes to dinner along with a top that is not an undershirt, preferably with a collar and sleeves? Yes. On formal night, make a little bit of an effort--dockers and a shirt will actually be fine for guys. Just a little dressed up for women.

My experience in Alaska is that many people do not do anywhere close to formal wear. I'll wear a sparkly black top with black dressy pants for each formal night--no point in hauling multiple dressy outfits when they will only be worn for a couple hours. Does a guy need a coat and tie? no. Personally, I think guys wearing tux are hot....but I won't see many of those in Alaska!

Normal nights....I tell my family that I expect them to look "decent."

Make sure you wear shoes to all DR meals and in all dining areas including the buffet. Exception the pizza, grill and ice cream stands by the main pool on the Lido deck. No bathing wear in DR's. While the Princess FAQ's say no shorts in DR for evening meals, they may be allowed, or may not.

I've never gotten why there is this "rumor" about Alaska cruises being more casual than those to other destinations.

And after my Alaska B2B in May I get it even less.

Does everyone really think that the fleeces and flannels worn in Alaska constitute more casual clothing than the shorts and T-shirts of warm weather cruises? If so, then I guess I'm the one out of touch.

I will say that the second leg of my two ship Alaska sailing (Golden Princess southbound) was maybe my first Princess cruise where I could say that a truly significant number of the attendees at the Captain's Circle party were testing the lower limits of the formal night dress code. So if the sole gist of the OP's question is, are formal nights less emphasized in Alaska, well maybe. Or maybe not.

But again on my Alaska cruise there was nary a person in the Horizon Court in a wet bathing suit with no cover-up. Or someone in the MDR at breakfast, sea day lunch or Afternoon Tea in pool attire, or gym attire, or cutoffs and a wife-beater tee. All of which you see pretty much daily on a hot weather cruise. Though somehow based on everyone's questions about Alaska, the preceding examples are somehow "less casual" than typical Alaska attire. Beats the crap out of me how that's true...but I guess I am in the minority here :confused:.

I was on the Emerald for a 12-day cruise to/from Alaska out of LA in April/May. I didn’t notice any difference in dress from other cruises. Saw only maybe 2-3 gentlemen not dressed up in at least suits or ladies in at least semi-formal wear on formal nights. Saw no one in shorts on smart casual nights.

Many jeans wearers on the first night of Alaskan cruises. After that night, standard Princess attire.

That's not uncommon on most ships, no matter what the itinerary, on the first night of a sailing and the last night before disembarkation …. many people in the dining room are in the clothes they wore when boarding -or- what they will wear the next day when leaving the ship.

The Princess dress code, as published on the website, was printed in the Patter on our Alaskan cruise at the end of May. Nothing was said about more "casual" attire being allowed for either Formal or Smart Casual nights. What people actually chose to do, however...

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

I was on the Emerald for a 12-day cruise to/from Alaska out of LA in April/May. I didn’t notice any difference in dress from other cruises. Saw only maybe 2-3 gentlemen not dressed up in at least suits or ladies in at least semi-formal wear on formal nights. Saw no one in shorts on smart casual nights.

Thanks for your observations. I wonder if the demographics, time of year, number going on to a land portion, and length of your cruise from LA with extra sea days are atypical of summer Alaskan cruises?

Sorry to be the voice of disagreement here, but on 7 night Alaskan cruises during the summer months when school is out, I have found things to be more casual than any of our other Princess cruises. In fairness, only one other cruise was as little as 7 nights, and that was while typical schools are in session. Maybe it is just the cruises we've chosen.......

We just got off the Grand on Saturday, 10 day Alaska. Most people seemed to observe dress code. But in our corner in the Botticelli, at the three other tables in my field of vision, there were 4 adults and 2 teenagers who wore jeans and ball caps every night. Including formal nights. There was also one older guy that wore a hooded sweatshirt several times. To each his own I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I are taking the STAR to Alaska in sept and rumor has it that these cruises are very casual, so I would like everyones input on just how casual they can be (clothes ,dining, etc) Thanks in advance,Tuscon 17

Many people tend to dress down on Alaskan cruises since they bring heavier clothing then they normally would on other trips.

I don't think Princess treats them any differently than other cruises but your certainly welcomed to wear jeans & a T shirt on casual evenings in the DR and dockers with a dress shirt without a jacket or tie for formal nights.

My take...overall everything has gotten more casual on cruise lines in the last 5 years..When luggage charges hit us about 10 years ago, that in MHO was when the debate about formal wear really started on CC and some "new"cruise lines started sailing country club casual.

For us ladies.. years ago, I remember when dressy capris were in vogue on the ships taking over cocktail dresses and gowns....now it is a mix of everything, we ladies have it easy, can wear what we want.

But for the men in my life it has always been tuxes until recently...However, last August, I will say DH did look a little under dressed on a 7 day RT out of Southampton(the English men..with waistcoats and pocket watches, I loved it) .....but over all dress black slacks and a black button down, no tie has served him quite well the last few cruises.

On a May Alaska cruise with son...told him just to bring a button down, On this cruise 2/3rd of the guests were first time cruisers, found most to be pretty dressed up on formal night..it was a RT out of Seattle.

Edited by land lover

If someone wears “dockers and a shirt” on a formal night what do people think the term “Formal Night” mean. Some of us do make a extra effort to dress up because it’s formal night, not casual.

Princess has told me that the Corp doesn’t want to enforce the dress code.

Tom😎

If someone wears “dockers and a shirt” on a formal night what do people think the term “Formal Night” mean. Some of us do make a extra effort to dress up because it’s formal night, not casual.

Princess has told me that the Corp doesn’t want to enforce the dress code.

Tom😎

I didn't say that I liked it...and I do bring something sparkly and dressy. But they won't be turned away from the dining room dressed as above.

was on the Emerald for a 12-day cruise to/from Alaska out of LA in April/May. I didn’t notice any difference in dress from other cruises. Saw only maybe 2-3 gentlemen not dressed up in at least suits or ladies in at least semi-formal wear on formal nights. Saw no one in shorts on smart casual nights.
I agree with Pam ( who is an extremely well-traveled Princess passenger). Last year on the Emerald to Alaska, we saw exactly the same situation. No difference in dress from other cruises.

There are 9 or 10 dining venues on every ship, including Alfredo's, Salty Dog, Trident Grill, Horizon Court, etc., and many of these are very informal. Huge choice of plentiful and nutritious food. Or, if you object to wearing shoes, just order free room service and have dinner barefoot in the cabin. - EBC

There are 9 or 10 dining venues on every ship, including Alfredo', Salty Dog, Trident Grill, etc., that are extremely informal. Huge choice of plentiful and nutritious food. Or, if you object to wearing shoes, just order free room service and have dinner barefoot in the cabin. - EBC

For accuracy's sake there is neither Alfredo's nor Salty Dog Gastropub on Star Princess.

Alfredo's is on Grand, Sapphire, Royal, Regal and Majestic (with a very limited menu on the first two).

Salty Dog Gastropub on Crown, Ruby and Emerald. (Salty Dog Grill has replaced Trident Grill on Caribbean).

I agree with Pam ( who is an extremely well-traveled Princess passenger). Last year on the Emerald to Alaska, we saw exactly the same situation. No difference in dress from other cruises.

Pam makes great contributions, which begs my question : If the demographics, time of year, number going on to a land portion, and length of your cruise from LA with extra sea days are atypical of summer Alaskan cruises?

I think when someone uses the phrase "resistant to dress standards", there's not much doubt as to which side of things they are coming from, and it's more a question of where they would be happier having you, than where your own happiness lies.

I have completed several AK cruises as I love going to AK in the summer. First AK cruise was a NB 13 years ago and I wore dark dockers, dress shirt and pull over sweater. Last August I did a r/t out of Seattle. Formal wear was dockers and my guayabera with athletic shoes. I was not alone and did not really see that many tux or even suits. That cruise had around 200 kids aboard. It has been my experience that AK cruises do seem to be more casual. The last cruise I saw no tux and I eat in the TD MDR where they are most likely to be worn.

Overall since I have been sailing on Princess ships, the dress code has relaxed. The latest male trend I have seen besides dwindling number of tux on formal night is men in suits sans tie on formal night. A couple years ago I did a Mexican Riviera cruise where I don't believe there was a dress code of any kind. I saw on non formal nights shorts, tshirts and ball caps on men which did surprise me although I had no problem with it. On formal night I saw men in dockers and Hawaiian shirts some rather colorful. This was not my first cruise to the Mexican Riviera but the most laid back one to be sure.

Other lines, celebrity, HAL, etc, have relaxed their dress codes in the face of a more informal world. Princess tries to masquerade as a more "formal" cruise line which is becoming even more of a farce as time advances. Want to go formal? Go on Cunard which is owned by Carnival Corp.