Seeking Western Caribbean Feedback

USCcruisecrazy

We have cruised a number of times in the Eastern Caribbean, so want to try something new. Has anyone been on the 7 day that goes to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel? The other option is Princess Cays, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Thoughts?

We have cruised a number of times in the Eastern Caribbean, so want to try something new. Has anyone been on the 7 day that goes to Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel? The other option is Princess Cays, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Thoughts?

Have been to all these ports. I would choose the first one mentioned. Grand Cayman - lots of water related activities, and a great 7 mile beach.

Roatan - Is a port side mall and a private beach, or you can tour the island.

Cozumel - Lots to do, last time there we did a cooking excursion, nice.

Belize - We took an air boat ride.

Downside, both Grand Cayman & Belize are tender ports.

On the second itinerary you mention Princess Cays is also a tender port.

Two of our favorite Caribbean ports are Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Grand Cayman for Stingray City, and Cozumel for Chankannab Park with the Royal Dolphin Swim. We have done these so many times and it never gets old, just remains amazing. Of course, YMMV. And then you have the great reefs around Belize....more snorkeling or diving fun.

I am not a fan of Jamaica, the only thing I would care to do again is climb Dunn's River Falls. But, I am also not that great a fan of Roatan, especially the port area which is pretty much like a lot of the other port areas with shops and beach access. That is just my opinion.

I would say whichever of those two cruises best matches your schedule - do it and enjoy.

I like GC, Roatan and Cozumel. Would choose that every time.

Princess Cay would be treated as a sea day for us...but so may Roatan, and maybe even Grand Cayman - been there, done that

never been to Belize, so that would be good - and we enjoy Cozumel, even if we just hang around and end up at Pancho's Backyard for cocktails...

pancho-s-backyard.jpg

So much depends on how you want to spend your time. We don't typically do excursions, so my comments are based on what you can do around the pier:

* Cozumel -- Fun and lively port with tons of shopping (Mexican crafts, silver, ceramics), restaurants and bars. You can take a cab into town for more of the same

* Roatan -- There are two different stops; since you're going with Princess, I imagine it's Mahogany Bay (but I would check with the cruise line). MB is a spectacular private beach with restaurants, shops and even a chairlift.

The other port in Roatan is Coxen Hole, which has a nice, but not very big, pier area for tourists (shops, cigar roller, music, coffee vendor, etc.). You can walk into town, but there's nothing really there for tourists and the sidewalks are very narrow

* Princess Cays -- Really lovely private beach. Rivals Mahogany Bay.

* Grand Cayman -- Check to see if you dock or tender. Excellent, nice-sized town for walking around--picturesque waterfront with little fish market, shopping, restaurants, etc.

Hope that helps a bit. - Musing About Cruising

What do you like to do in port? Ship excursions or independent tours/transportation? If you like snorkeling, definitely the first itinerary! We have used a private tour company for transportation in Roatan to West Bay Beach (on other side of island) where there was really good snorkeling, we hung out at the Grand Roatan Resort. In Cozumel it's easy to take a taxi to the Money Bar, no charge there other than food/drinks. Grand Cayman has a lot of options. Check the Caribbean Ports forum for lots of info and recommendations for all of them.

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

Ocho Rios is a bit difficult because once you are in a public area, you will be bothered by hucksters, wanting to sell you things legal or less so, get you to go in a taxi (probably not dangerous) but in any event to have you spend money with them. It is a little tiring being treated as a $20 bill blowing down the street.

Option 1: Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel -

Grand Cayman has stingray city that is fun but it is a tender port; Roatan has great snorkeling and great beaches (we took a ship's tour), Belize has cave tubing that is fun (we did an independent tour) BUT it is a tender port and we've been on 1 cruise that skipped that port because of rough water; Cozumel has some nice beaches - we have done it multiple times on our own using taxis.

Option 2: Princess Cays, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel -

We enjoyed Princess Cay (it is tender) but there was plenty to do there; Ocho Rios is a port that you will be approached by somewhat aggressive panhandlers and people selling things. It's not my favorite port but if you do go there and you want exercise, go to Dunn's River Falls; See above for Grand Caymen and Cozumel.

I won't get off the ship in Jamaica. I usually avoid itineraries with that island. Our last time there was on the Island Princess on a Panama Canal cruise. We really wanted that cruise, so booked it in spite of going to Ocho Rios. But we stayed on the ship as planned and had a great time. It was like an extra day at sea with half our fellow passengers missing.

If you're at all interested in history, Belize and Cozumel also give you a great chance to tour Mayan ruins (although many are full day trips with a lot of travel time).

One caveat if you're a regular blood donor -- Roatan and occasionally Belize in the past have been on lists that result in a 12-month ban from donating blood. I think the Red Cross (at least my local chapter) will still let you donate if you were in port for less than 24 hours, but YMMV and it is something you might check into if you are a donor.

Option 1: Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize City, and Cozumel -

Grand Cayman has stingray city that is fun but it is a tender port; Roatan has great snorkeling and great beaches (we took a ship's tour), Belize has cave tubing that is fun (we did an independent tour) BUT it is a tender port and we've been on 1 cruise that skipped that port because of rough water; Cozumel has some nice beaches - we have done it multiple times on our own using taxis.

Option 2: Princess Cays, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel -

We enjoyed Princess Cay (it is tender) but there was plenty to do there; Ocho Rios is a port that you will be approached by somewhat aggressive panhandlers and people selling things. It's not my favorite port but if you do go there and you want exercise, go to Dunn's River Falls; See above for Grand Caymen and Cozumel.

Thanks for the post...this is exactly what I was looking for. I did hear from someone last night I was speaking to that said Belize City was not very nice. Did you have any issues there, especially with an independent tour?

Two of our favorite Caribbean ports are Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Grand Cayman for Stingray City, and Cozumel for Chankannab Park with the Royal Dolphin Swim. We have done these so many times and it never gets old, just remains amazing. Of course, YMMV. And then you have the great reefs around Belize....more snorkeling or diving fun.

I am not a fan of Jamaica, the only thing I would care to do again is climb Dunn's River Falls. But, I am also not that great a fan of Roatan, especially the port area which is pretty much like a lot of the other port areas with shops and beach access. That is just my opinion.

I would say whichever of those two cruises best matches your schedule - do it and enjoy.

It sounds like you are a fan of snorkeling and or diving- I would recommend that you try Roatan again- this time get out away from the port area. Roatan has some of the best (and easiest) snorkeling and diving in the Caribbean- and yes, I have been to Grand Cayman (love diving with the stingrays) and Cozumel (for some reason everyone loves diving there, but I thinks it's because they haven't done it in Roatan where the reef is healthier) Roatan also has a dolphin swim and a shark dive if you are looking for that sort of thing!

Grand Cayman - We always either snorkel or scuba dive. This area is fantastic.

Roatan - Also a great snorkel and scuba diving location.

Belize - The last time we were in Belize we took a boat trip up the river than was a lot of fun. We saw a lot of monkeys and other wildlife that was really interesting.

Cozumel - There is so much to do in Cozumel. I have been there about 10 times and have enjoyed every visit. We have done jeep rides on the beach, snorkeling, and sometimes we just wander the city. There are a lot of interesting stores and restaurants right at the docks and the city is just a few miles away and there are lots of taxis.

Princess Cays - I have never been there.

Ocho Rios - I do not like Jamaica. I have been there twice. I went there once with young teenage girls once and they were repeatedly asked if they wanted marijuana. Locals were openly trying to sell drugs. A local started a friendly conversation with one of the teenagers and started showing her how to braid her hair. She then immediately turned to me and demanded $50. I gave her $10 and told her to leave us alone. We did not enjoy either visit.

Based on my experience, I would go on the trip that does not include Jamaica.

Just completed the Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize and Cozumel trip on Caribbean Princess. Of the two options, this would always be my choice. Not a fan of Jamaica or Princess Cays.

We've done scuba and snuba in Grand Cayman and this last trip, did the island tour that included visiting Hell, the turtle farm, Stingray city and snorkeling. This was the best Grand Cayman excursion we have done. The tour was fun (as we hadn't seen any of the island before.) Turtle farm was very touristy but interesting. Stingrays were fun for the family and the snorkeling was great with beautiful, clear water and lots of fish/other sea critters.

Roatan is a family favorite due to Daniel Johnson's Monkey and Sloth Hangout but would also love to dive there at some point.

Belize has a lot to offer-we opted for a river cruise where we saw a lot of wildlife, then visited one of the Mayan ruins.

Cozumel is our least favorite port but we opted to visit another Mayan ruin site-Coba. It is in the jungle, so lots of shade as well as a nice, less touristy site to visit. Unfortunately, we spent a lot of time just getting there. It is still our favorite ruins site.

Have fun with whatever you choose-there are lots of options at these ports.