Balcony upgrade call.... I think it's too much but maybe I'm cheap! LOL

LCTXcruiser

Hey ya'll,

I just got an upgrade call for our cruise this Sunday. We are currently booked in an interior with a walkway window.

They offered us the balcony on lido for $400.00. Seems a little steep for me... or am I being cheap? Be honest, I can take it;p.

Also, I always assumed the lido rooms would be loud. What's been your experience?

We once had a balcony on lido and it was amazing. It wasn't annoying at all. That being said, $400 is a lot of money and it would all depend on how much we already spent on the cruise, how much we plan on spending during, excursions, etc. If you think about it, some people pay $250+ just to rent a cabana for the day at places like half moon cay. So $400 isn't too bad for a balcony for a whole week if it's something you want and can afford :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How much would it cost to upgrade without the offer? If $400 is less, I'd say go for it. What do you think would be fair?

I'm frugal and like to have comparisons. If I paid $300 for my int. and it would be an additional $400 for the balcony. However, the initial price for the balcony was $700 I'd say no or I'd have booked it in the first place. Yet, if I booked my int. at like $500 and the balcony was $1200 and now I could get the balcony for $900 (initial $500 plus $400), I'd see it as a savings of $300. I hope that makes sense. This also assumes you believe a balcony is worth $400.

How much would it cost to upgrade without the offer? If $400 is less, I'd say go for it. What do you think would be fair?

I'm frugal and like to have comparisons. If I paid $300 for my int. and it would be an additional $400 for the balcony. However, the initial price for the balcony was $700 I'd say no or I'd have booked it in the first place. Yet, if I booked my int. at like $500 and the balcony was $1200 and now I could get the balcony for $900 (initial $500 plus $400), I'd see it as a savings of $300. I hope that makes sense. This also assumes you believe a balcony is worth $400.

Its so funny you say that! As soon as I had the offer the first thing I did was try to do a mock booking with a balcony. Unfortunately the website shows them sold out so I can't get a price to compare. I guess I shouldn't sweat it too much. We're only in the room for about 20% of the time.

Its so funny you say that! As soon as I had the offer the first thing I did was try to do a mock booking with a balcony. Unfortunately the website shows them sold out so I can't get a price to compare. I guess I shouldn't sweat it too much. We're only in the room for about 20% of the time.

I was able to find the cost below on a website I use sometimes... ;) Cost is per person. I think this is your sailing..

7 Night Western Caribbean Carnival Breeze

Departing from: Galveston, Texas

Ports of Call:

• Montego Bay, Jamaica •
  • George Town, Grand Cayman •
  • Cozumel, Mexico

Interior from $629 Oceanview from $914 Balcony from $1,079 Suite U?A

August 12, 2018 through–August 19, 2018

The 4J's like you're in are usually in high demand. We are in a 4J on our next cruise. We've been offered (via email) to move to a lido balcony (which we LOVE) for $414 additional (it's an 8-day cruise on the Horizon). We didn't bite (I checked, and we could have upgraded ourselves for about $520, so it wasn't a huge discount). I wouldn't accept the upsell unless it were $250 or less, but that's just me. I would say that we book a lido balcony about 85% of the time right from the get-go, but we decided to be a bit more budget conscious this time, at least when it comes to the cabin.

I was able to find the cost below on a website I use sometimes... ;) Cost is per person. I think this is your sailing..

7 Night Western Caribbean Carnival Breeze

Departing from: Galveston, Texas

Ports of Call:

• Montego Bay, Jamaica •
  • George Town, Grand Cayman •
  • Cozumel, Mexico

Interior from $629 Oceanview from $914 Balcony from $1,079 Suite U?A

August 12, 2018 through–August 19, 2018

It is. Thank you!!

400? its like 50.00 per day to upgrade to a balcony.

what deck are you in in that obstructed view cabin? Doors are located to the side-- people slam those all day long

We're on the 7th deck. No obstruction as far as view goes. We've taken the 4j cabins quite a few times. You can usually hear the door slam during the day (which isn't a problem), but at night no one's out there (typically).

Not a fan of balcony cabins. I know some ppl won't cruise without a balcony.... we find we end up only spending small bits of time out there, preferring to be out and about. I would pocket the $400 and spend it elsewhere

$400 is way too much. That's not an upgrade, it's an upsell. I received a similar offer to go from an interior to a balcony, for $384. Carnival chose the room plus with the added cost, my cruise cost would've been the same as if I would've just booked a balcony from the start, but had I taken the upsell, I wasn't given a choice of room or room location. The cost of the upsell was more than the per person cost of the cruise for an interior room. I declined.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Thanks all! I talked with my husband and we decided to decline. After research (and one of the posters giving the current pricing) we were able to determine this wasn't an upgrade.....but it was an upsell. Could have bought it from the beginning.

Would have been nice if it was an upgrade. 15 cruises with Carnival and we've never had an upgrade.

I think it's a great deal to go from an Interior to a Balcony for only $400. If you had booked a Balcony in the first place it would have cost you much more than $400 to do it. We love the balcony cabins and spend a fair amount of time on them. After 46 cruises, we don't go ashore that often anymore and prefer to lounge around on our balcony reading and relaxing on port days.

I think it's a great deal to go from an Interior to a Balcony for only $400. If you had booked a Balcony in the first place it would have cost you much more than $400 to do it. We love the balcony cabins and spend a fair amount of time on them. After 46 cruises, we don't go ashore that often anymore and prefer to lounge around on our balcony reading and relaxing on port days.

OMG! After reading your signature line it looks like you live on the ship!! LOL! Lucky!!!

Thanks all! I talked with my husband and we decided to decline. After research (and one of the posters giving the current pricing) we were able to determine this wasn't an upgrade.....but it was an upsell. Could have bought it from the beginning.

Would have been nice if it was an upgrade. 15 cruises with Carnival and we've never had an upgrade.

Anything other than free is an upsell. An upgrade is at no cost to you.

Not a fan of balcony cabins. I know some ppl won't cruise without a balcony.... we find we end up only spending small bits of time out there, preferring to be out and about. I would pocket the $400 and spend it elsewhere

When I book an inside, I prefer to be out and about also. But that's because I find an inside too confining.

But when I book a balcony, I spend more time in the cabin since I'm relaxing in my own private space watching the ocean glide by from the balcony.