Housekeeping Refusal?

Eight cabins or two thousand cabins it is still a cruise. Still has guest services, security, housekeeping, etc, the difference is one person may do several jobs. But being a small boat it will be even easier, just talk to the Captain and express that you do not want staff in your cabin. It will not be a issue.

If you don’t want service on a specific day, make sure to actually tell your cabin steward. Otherwise they will spend all day checking to see if you have finally taken your do not disturb sign down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This. We generally keep the do not disturb up and take it down every other day so the cabin can be cleaned. You can be out for an hour and come back to find it clean. I less you let them in the more times they will come by to check. Just tell them up front what your intentions are.

While you have said that you’ve never had issues doing this in hotels, I suspect that will become an issue more often because of Las Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I did not realize that Celebrity now has several ships in the Galapagos. I have been on a Catamaran of that size in French Polynesia. The housekeeper was one person who also did other jobs in addition to cleaning our cabin. The luggage may be taken directly to the ship at a smaller pier that our larger ship could not access. The catamaran was a lot of fun. Enjoy!

So will that steward get jipped out of a good tip? Thus reducing their income for the week? Just a thought.

As already noted, there are only 18 passengers on the catamaran. Steward will have multiple duties thus totally different than a cruise ship. Not sure how tips are handled and OP did not comment.

I did not realize that Celebrity now has several ships in the Galapagos. I have been on a Catamaran of that size in French Polynesia. The housekeeper was one person who also did other jobs in addition to cleaning our cabin. The luggage may be taken directly to the ship at a smaller pier that our larger ship could not access. The catamaran was a lot of fun. Enjoy!

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I am so excited for this!

As already noted, there are only 18 passengers on the catamaran. Steward will have multiple duties thus totally different than a cruise ship. Not sure how tips are handled and OP did not comment.

Gratuities have been included in our price but I'd like to tip a little on top of that if service on board is really good. I would imagine the steward would still have other duties and possibly opportunities for me to tip. If everything runs smoothly service-wise I plan on leaving a little money in our room on the last day, too.

Eight cabins or two thousand cabins it is still a cruise. Still has guest services, security, housekeeping, etc, the difference is one person may do several jobs. But being a small boat it will be even easier, just talk to the Captain and express that you do not want staff in your cabin. It will not be a issue.

I will do that. You have been very helpful! :)

I’m not sure why people are saying the steward will come in no matter what, security may get involved... I typically do not have my room cleaned on a cruise. I, too, don’t like people in my room when I’m not there. Usually I will see the steward in the hall cleaning rooms at some point and ask for new towels and trash removal. It happens while I’m still in the room. Totally not a big deal.

I’m not sure why people are saying the steward will come in no matter what, security may get involved... I typically do not have my room cleaned on a cruise. I, too, don’t like people in my room when I’m not there. Usually I will see the steward in the hall cleaning rooms at some point and ask for new towels and trash removal. It happens while I’m still in the room. Totally not a big deal.

Your answer helps. I just may book more cruises knowing this. Ha, I knew I couldn't be the only one who felt this way. :)

Due the shooting in Vegas last year, if someone refuses to let housekeeping in at least every other day it's now raising a red flag

Due the shooting in Vegas last year, if someone refuses to let housekeeping in at least every other day it's now raising a red flag

What is your source for this information?

Edit: Okay, interesting, I was able to see that Disney resorts and Hilton HOTELS have started policies to check on rooms more often. I've traveled a lot since the Vegas shooting and have not had any problems with my request. I tend to not stay in the same hotel for long. I also frequent B&B's, air B&B's, and Inns - not major chains. Much of my travel is abroad where hotel owners aren't on as high an alert.

I'm not sure why a cruise ship would have the same concern. Don't they screen your luggage before boarding?

Edited by NatureTravelPants

What is your source for this information?

Edit: Okay, interesting, I was able to see that Disney resorts and Hilton HOTELS have started policies to check on rooms more often. I've traveled a lot since the Vegas shooting and have not had any problems with my request. I tend to not stay in the same hotel for long. I also frequent B&B's, air B&B's, and Inns - not major chains. Much of my travel is abroad where hotel owners aren't on as high an alert.

I'm not sure why a cruise ship would have the same concern. Don't they screen your luggage before boarding?

I can think of several reasons.

They need to make sure that someone isn't trashing the room; that someone isn't sick/collapsed/dead; that there hasn't been a crime committed, or someone hasn't jumped overboard, etc. Even housekeeping things related to plumbing/air conditioning etc. mean staff has to access the cabin. You may find deliveries - wine, fruit, etc. from a travel agent, family/friend, loyalty ambassador.

I just don't think you can compare a hotel room to a cabin on a moving ship. Big difference between spending a few days in a hotel room and often 7 or more on a ship. I frequently spend 10 or more days in the same cabin; don't spend that long in the same hotel room.

I just think having housekeeping or security check a room is a routine occurrence. Quite honestly I think the majority of passengers enjoy the extra pampering and not having to clean up, change the linens, etc.

I can think of several reasons.

They need to make sure that someone isn't trashing the room; that someone isn't sick/collapsed/dead; that there hasn't been a crime committed, or someone hasn't jumped overboard, etc. Even housekeeping things related to plumbing/air conditioning etc. mean staff has to access the cabin. You may find deliveries - wine, fruit, etc. from a travel agent, family/friend, loyalty ambassador.

I just don't think you can compare a hotel room to a cabin on a moving ship. Big difference between spending a few days in a hotel room and often 7 or more on a ship. I frequently spend 10 or more days in the same cabin; don't spend that long in the same hotel room.

I just think having housekeeping or security check a room is a routine occurrence. Quite honestly I think the majority of passengers enjoy the extra pampering and not having to clean up, change the linens, etc.

All of your listed reasons can apply to a hotel room as well except for jumping overboard. None of them have to do with increased security in the wake of the Vegas shooting, which is what my reply was referencing. I agree the majority of passengers probably do enjoy these services and I'm very happy they get to experience them. I prefer not to, which should also be fine.

All of your listed reasons can apply to a hotel room as well except for jumping overboard. None of them have to do with increased security in the wake of the Vegas shooting, which is what my reply was referencing. I agree the majority of passengers probably do enjoy these services and I'm very happy they get to experience them. I prefer not to, which should also be fine.

The point of the Vegas shooting is that when an extreme and unforeseen act of violence occurs, many companies/events in related fields will look at increasing their security measures so that it doesn’t happen there. Most of these security increases are fluff that have no real effect on preventing future crime; moreso that if it ever does happen again they can point to the additional security measures that they took. I find it hard to believe that most hotels are ok with someone occupying a room for a week or more and no employees stopping by the room in that time. It’s unusual and arouses suspicion.

I just checked out the ship, it looks like all cabins have an abundance of windows and light. It's an upscale ship, with upscale clientele, I would say it would seem out of place for a passenger to totally pass on cabin service. These passengers thrive on the ultimate experiences. With the passing on cabin service, what else would the OP decline on. Seems to me IF I EVER had the occasion to experience something like this, I would ultimately take advantage of everything offered..

OH, I hope the OP does take advantage of any laundry service on board...

I just checked out the ship, it looks like all cabins have an abundance of windows and light. It's an upscale ship, with upscale clientele, I would say it would seem out of place for a passenger to totally pass on cabin service. These passengers thrive on the ultimate experiences. With the passing on cabin service, what else would the OP decline on. Seems to me IF I EVER had the occasion to experience something like this, I would ultimately take advantage of everything offered..

OH, I hope the OP does take advantage of any laundry service on board...

You mentioned the high level of service. I would think that includes catering more to the needs of an individual client. In my case, it would be reduced service. If it's out of place, I don't mind. I'm paying a lot of money for this cruise and I want to be comfortable. The price alone should allow me to have that. With only 16 passengers I don't think I'll feel out of place for long. I'm sure I'll make friends with fellow passengers and staff. I don't plan on using laundry service unless I were to have a bag go missing. It's only 8 days.

I also leave my rooms very clean upon check out. :)

The point of the Vegas shooting is that when an extreme and unforeseen act of violence occurs, many companies/events in related fields will look at increasing their security measures so that it doesn’t happen there. Most of these security increases are fluff that have no real effect on preventing future crime; moreso that if it ever does happen again they can point to the additional security measures that they took. I find it hard to believe that most hotels are ok with someone occupying a room for a week or more and no employees stopping by the room in that time. It’s unusual and arouses suspicion.

Sure, this link is from a hippy-dippy blog but it points to real incentives some hotels are giving guests who decline housekeeping: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mnn.com/lifestyle/eco-tourism/blogs/amp/skip-housekeeping-during-your-next-hotel-visit

So not all hotels would find this supicious or unusual.