Tips for Azamara Newbies

Grandma Cruising

2 hours ago, amc aaa said:

Hi Grandma,

Thanks for all the advice. I was trying to sign up for a meet and mingle. On my roll call I can't see where to sign up. Can you help? Thx June

Hi amc aaa, there are two places you can sign up for the Meet & Mingle Connections Party.

Firstly you can do so on Cruise Critic. Look for the blue bar at the top of the page. In it you should see the words ‘Meet & Mingle’. If you don’t see it, click on the ‘Forums’ tab then you should see it. Click on ‘Meet & Mingle’, then select ‘Azamara Club Cruises’ and then click on a ‘Register for an Azamara Party’ and fill in the requested information (booking reference, name, ship & sail date).

The second way to register is through the Azamara website. Scroll down to the menu at the very bottom of the website and click on the word ‘Booked’, then scroll down to where it says ‘Meet & Mingle Parties’ and click on ‘Register+’. That takes you to the same page where you fill in your information.

After registration you should get an email acknowledgement from Azamara. You should also get an invitation in your cabin, but if you don’t you can check where and when the event is by asking at Guest Relations and/or checking the embarkation day’s ‘Insider’ daily newsletter.  Azamara don’t call it a Meet & Mingle, they call it a ‘Connections Social’. It is often held after the muster drill on embarkation day.

If you bon’t manage to register don’t worry, just check where and when the event is once you get onboard, then just turn up.

This is covered in the ‘Tips’ spreadsheet, along with lots of other useful information - have a look at it here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

If you have problems accessing this, try this PDF version https://www.dropbox.com/s/lndojfzf72nm0b3/Tips for Azamara Newbies.pdf?dl=0

Edited by Host Grandma Cruising

I’ve just picked up a tip for the shower in inside, ocean-view & verandah cabins, thanks to excitedofharpenden & marinaro. The suggestion was in a topic about the shower in a Verandah cabin. The tip is “The whole of the bathroom is a wet room. Hook the shower curtain over the hook on the bathroom door that takes the towel or robe and strategically place a towel or the shower mat on the floor. Gives more space. Stops the clinging.”.

6 hours ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

I’ve just picked up a tip for the shower in inside, ocean-view & verandah cabins, thanks to excitedofharpenden & marinaro. The suggestion was in a topic about the shower in a Verandah cabin. The tip is “The whole of the bathroom is a wet room. Hook the shower curtain over the hook on the bathroom door that takes the towel or robe and strategically place a towel or the shower mat on the floor. Gives more space. Stops the clinging.”.

Not a tip from me, Grandma. 

I've never had a problem with the small shower.  Just step in, close the curtain, turn on the water, soap up a washcloth, wash, rinse, dry, and step out.  Works just fine.  I don't understand what all the fuss is about.  I can't imagine getting the entire bathroom wet for no good reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

I've never had a problem with the small shower.  Just step in, close the curtain, turn on the water, soap up a washcloth, wash, rinse, dry, and step out.  Works just fine.  I don't understand what all the fuss is about.  I can't imagine getting the entire bathroom wet for no good reason.

I’m with you, Marinaro 44

• Like 1

9 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Oh OK , I was just quoting Phil. I agree with you, I’ve never had a problem myself, but lots of people seem to find them tricky.

This has probably been covered somewhere but I can't find it. I have a cruise booked on Pursuit, Veranda Plus and it says "in-room spirits".  What exactly is that, can I get a bottle of wine?

Thanks, Sue

7 hours ago, bjbear said:

This has probably been covered somewhere but I can't find it. I have a cruise booked on Pursuit, Veranda Plus and it says "in-room spirits".  What exactly is that, can I get a bottle of wine?

Thanks, Sue

In room spirits means you get a couple of half bottles of spirits in your room. If you don’t like the ones provided you can get them swapped for ones you like. No wine, though as far as I’m aware. Maybe someone who’s been in a Suite will be able to tell you more.

You’re right, this isn’t included in the Tips spreadsheet. I’ll add it in.

• 2 weeks later...

I’d like to know what is provided onboard in terms of toiletries. Shampoo & conditioner? Body lotion? Toothpaste? We have long pre and post hotel stays so would like to bring as little as possible.  Thx.

4 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

I’d like to know what is provided onboard in terms of toiletries. Shampoo & conditioner? Body lotion? Toothpaste? We have long pre and post hotel stays so would like to bring as little as possible.  Thx.

Yes, shampoo, soap, conditioner, body lotion all provided. 

3 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Is it the same brand in the suites please?

Also, I have seen photos of the suites with an ice bucket and champagne on the table.  Is this for photographic purposes or is this provided in your suite on embarkation please?

51 minutes ago, Werangels said:

Is it the same brand in the suites please?

Also, I have seen photos of the suites with an ice bucket and champagne on the table.  Is this for photographic purposes or is this provided in your suite on embarkation please?

Same in suites.

• Thanks 1

On 8/20/2018 at 10:50 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

It was suggested that it might be a good idea to have a ‘sticky’ thread which had tips for cruisers new to Azamara, so here goes.

White Night - Azamara Cruises normally include a ‘White Night’. This is an on-deck party, with a buffet served from the Patio area. Most people wear white clothing (though this is not required).

Speciality Restaurants- good idea to make your bookings as soon as you board. There is sometimes a bookings table in the terminal building and always one inside the entrance to Windows buffet.

Dining Packages - the speciality restaurants are $30pp, but you can buy dining packages at a ‘bargain’ price - for example 3 meals for $70pp.

Cocktails - the list of included cocktails is only intended as an example of the available cocktails, you can ask for any cocktail to be made with the included spirits.

Breakfast drinks - you can ask for a Bloody Mary and/or a Mimosa (Buck’s Fizz) for breakfast and you can have a smoothie made to your own tastes. If you like ginger ask for an ‘Energiser’ at breakfast - it’s a small smoothie which has ginger in it and is (unsurprisingly) very energising!

Stateroom fridge - the sodas in the fridge are included, the alcoholic drinks are not. You can ask your stateroom attendant to get you the sodas you like to keep in your fridge.

Bringing alcohol on board - you can bring alcohol on board to drink in your stateroom. If you want to drink it in a public room there is a $10 corkage charge.

Please add your own tips, so we can get a really good information thread for all those going on their first Azamara cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Great Job you are doing here. I hope you get some perks. I remember the first time I had that Owners suite on Journey and I ordered a cocktail to be brought to the cabin. Drinks that are complimentary are not complimentary if delivered to the cabin.

On a cruise in Mexico I found some Sangrita  (not Sangria-Spanish wine) which is a chaser for a shot of tequila. They were serving shots of Tequila ashore for about one dollar, but I had purchased the bottle of Sangrita, so when I got back to the ship I ordered a shot of Tequila to be delivered. I was charged full price for the Tequila which was about $7. I used 1/2 of the shot and saved the second 1/2 which my thrifty wife threw away since she thought it was just dirty water. So I passed up a shot of tequila ashore for $1 and paid $7 for one in my cabin to chase with the recently purchased Sangrita. I could have swapped out the scotch in the cabin for tequila, but didn't think about it until after.

Here is a short story on the Panama Canal- Cuba trip-- As I have had the Owners suite before I booked a forward viewing cabin for this trip, but when I went to check in they informed me that I had been bumped up to the owners suite, which I did not want and was never asked about being upgraded. I started complaining and asking for a higher up to correct this unauthorized action. My wife told me to be quiet and accept the upgrade. What we men do for our wives is sometime heroic. I shut up. It is nice to be in a forward viewing cabin eating breakfast as you sail into a port. 

We sail this Sunday on NCL Bliss to Alaska and have a forward viewing cabin. I'll let  you know how the NCL Bliss is. This will be our first experience with NCL and cruise # 52 I think.

12 minutes ago, scapel said:

Great Job you are doing here. I hope you get some perks. I remember the first time I had that Owners suite on Journey and I ordered a cocktail to be brought to the cabin. Drinks that are complimentary are not complimentary if delivered to the cabin.

On a cruise in Mexico I found some Sangrita  (not Sangria-Spanish wine) which is a chaser for a shot of tequila. They were serving shots of Tequila ashore for about one dollar, but I had purchased the bottle of Sangrita, so when I got back to the ship I ordered a shot of Tequila to be delivered. I was charged full price for the Tequila which was about $7. I used 1/2 of the shot and saved the second 1/2 which my thrifty wife threw away since she thought it was just dirty water. So I passed up a shot of tequila ashore for $1 and paid $7 for one in my cabin to chase with the recently purchased Sangrita. I could have swapped out the scotch in the cabin for tequila, but didn't think about it until after.

Here is a short story on the Panama Canal- Cuba trip-- As I have had the Owners suite before I booked a forward viewing cabin for this trip, but when I went to check in they informed me that I had been bumped up to the owners suite, which I did not want and was never asked about being upgraded. I started complaining and asking for a higher up to correct this unauthorized action. My wife told me to be quiet and accept the upgrade. What we men do for our wives is sometime heroic. I shut up. It is nice to be in a forward viewing cabin eating breakfast as you sail into a port. 

We sail this Sunday on NCL Bliss to Alaska and have a forward viewing cabin. I'll let  you know how the NCL Bliss is. This will be our first experience with NCL and cruise # 52 I think.

Hi, nice to hear from you! Thanks for mentioning that you have to pay for drinks delivered to your cabin, even if you’re in the Owners Suite. I’ve added that tip into the spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Deg-GaeZYLml8NN3PVwoh_jUkQ8QmYUe1wxnVAlODE

We’re doing the Norway North Cape cruise on the Journey on 1 July and then Lisbon to Rio on the Pursuit in November. I think we may also book Athens to Dubai in 2020 with Azamara - that’ll be the 4th time we’ll have done that route - we love it!

Hope you enjoy the Bliss cruise to Alaska and will be interested to hear what you think about it.

16 minutes ago, Sujormik said:

My husband thinks the electric is all US but I wanted to check with you all first!  Mainly for camera charging etc., I have no intention of blowdrying my hair even once! 

Depends somewhat on ship and stateroom category but I've always seen Euro-style plugs.  One or more Pursuit categories have UK plugs, IIRC.

If I recall, it's been posted recently that the LCV internet discount can be applied to a package up to a certain number of days in a sailing.  I think it was reported that you can put the dollar discount for an unlimited package towards the package up to day 3 of a 7 day cruise?  If someone can verify my recollection, that would be a useful tip!  I can go a couple days without unlimited, since we'll still have my DH's minutes, and save a little money by purchasing the unlimited package later in the cruise.

5 hours ago, hiccups said:

If I recall, it's been posted recently that the LCV internet discount can be applied to a package up to a certain number of days in a sailing.  I think it was reported that you can put the dollar discount for an unlimited package towards the package up to day 3 of a 7 day cruise?  If someone can verify my recollection, that would be a useful tip!  I can go a couple days without unlimited, since we'll still have my DH's minutes, and save a little money by purchasing the unlimited package later in the cruise.

On the website it says “

• **The Full Voyage Unlimited Package may be purchased at any time during the voyage and must be purchased for the duration of the voyage”.

That’s not the answer to Hiccups question though

Hiccups yes you can by the package on day 2 and 3 embarkation being Day 1 at a pro rated price and apply the full LCV discount to the balance. Did that twice this month. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, uktog said:

That’s not the answer to Hiccups question though

Hiccups yes you can by the package on day 2 and 3 embarkation being Day 1 at a pro rated price and apply the full LCV discount to the balance. Did that twice this month. 

Thanks uktog - I’ll add that to the spreadsheet. Just to be clear, if you buy the package on day 3 of a 10 day cruise (before the LCV discount is applied) do you then pay for 8 days ( I.e. 8 times $19.95 = $159.60)?

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Thanks uktog - I’ll add that to the spreadsheet. Just to be clear, if you buy the package on day 3 of a 10 day cruise (before the LCV discount is applied) do you then pay for 8 days ( I.e. 8 times $19.95 = $159.60)?

Yes but it’s not always $19.95. Recently because of taxes it was $24 a day