Corkage fee??

Just off Majesty. Dining room waiter threatened the corkage fee after we brought a wine bottle the 2nd night. After that we went to a bar and got 2 empty glasses and poured it ourselves before walking in.

Considering that charging a corkage fee is Royal’s published policy, I do not think that “threatened” is an appropriate verb here.

Also, they don't care how many filled glasses of wine you bring to the dining room.

So true! A couple of cruises ago, our beverage waiter was awful, and he barely ever stopped by our table (even though we tipped him extra the first night?!!). We started picking up a glass of wine at the nearest bar before dinner, and the habit has stuck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Another possibility is to share a glass (if it's wine you really like) with the cellar master or with your wine steward.

Cellar master? Wine steward? Have you been on a cruise lately? There was a time one might order a bottle of really good wine and wish to share a glass with the sommelier and this is still done in a good restaurant, but we’re talking the MDR here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎9‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 8:08 AM, Biker19 said:

Any recent reports of folks having "corkage free" stickers on wine bottles that were ship provided?

We've had stickers on the bottles that we got for booking a CP balcony, but not on the D+ ones that were delivered to our cabin. Consistent inconsistency is RCL's main marketing motto.:classic_wacko:

On the Freedom and on the Anthem we brought wine and brought it to the Dining Room and was not charged.  The Drink waiter opened and kept it for us and brought it to us every night....we made sure to tip her very well.  It may have been cheaper to pay the corkage fee...but she was AMAZING

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drneal said:

we have 2 cabins

one for mom  & dad, one for kids

Is that 2 bottles per cabin for a total 4 ?

or does the second cabin with minors not get the 2 bottles ?

2 bottles of wine per cabin with a guest 21 years of age in it.

Your 4 bottles may get through but then again they may not.  

• Like 1

Gerif;

yes, I have been on a cruise lately, as you may notice from my signature.  On that cruise, we brought aboard two bottles of wine from a local (to us) winery, which happens to have wines featured on Holland America ships (although not the type or vintage that we brought).  Without wanting to sound snippish, that is EXACTLY what we did -- although we didn't order the wine, we brought it to the MDR (yes, the MDR) and shared it with the cellar master.  I'm not sure what I said that inspired such incredulity and disdain . . He was very appreciative, and asked us to sample some of the other wine offerings they had so we could compare. .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IRMO12HD said:

Gerif;

yes, I have been on a cruise lately, as you may notice from my signature.  On that cruise, we brought aboard two bottles of wine from a local (to us) winery, which happens to have wines featured on Holland America ships (although not the type or vintage that we brought).  Without wanting to sound snippish, that is EXACTLY what we did -- although we didn't order the wine, we brought it to the MDR (yes, the MDR) and shared it with the cellar master.  I'm not sure what I said that inspired such incredulity and disdain . . He was very appreciative, and asked us to sample some of the other wine offerings they had so we could compare. .

I have signatures turned off. Not meaning to sound “snippish “ but since you posted this on an RCI forum, I stupidly assumed you did this on an RCI ship. Which one? When?  Only sailed HAL once many years ago and didn’t bring wine so neither know nor care what goes on there.