Video recording performances - peeve

Are video/phone recording of performance (like the shows Mamma Mia, Blue Planet, etc) allowed? I absolutely hate getting a seat and then person in front films the performance. The light from the phone screen is so bright it is distracting for those of us sitting nearby and especially behind. I read that no flash photography is allowed, but did not read about phone camera recordings.

Are video/phone recording of performance (like the shows Mamma Mia, Blue Planet, etc) allowed? I absolutely hate getting a seat and then person in front films the performance. The light from the phone screen is so bright it is distracting for those of us sitting nearby and especially behind. I read that no flash photography is allowed, but did not read about phone camera recordings.

Recording of any kind is prohibited.

They don’t make any attempt to stop it either. One big difference now is a camera has a screen like old video recording did back in the day.

When I do take pics from my live reviews I turn the screen to the darkest setting and shoot my photo quick and iPhone back down. People who leave them up for a long time are inconsiderate.

They are still not as bad as parents who let their kids laugh four rows from the front of the stage, for 15 minutes during a performance. That happened the other night during Mama Mia, and we could clearly hear them in the upper level on the opposite side of the theatre. Kudos to the actors for not missing a beat. They eventually left after 15 minutes and all was good. I’m actually surprised no one tried to take the kids or the mother out.

It's just another case of "the rules don't apply to me". I don't care what setting is used on the camera or phone, it's illegal, period.

Way to throw out a generic statement with no justification with such certainty. The signs at CATS said no video recording. The following was taken with no flash, no glaring screen and only one know it all judgemental passenger sitting nearby. Enjoy.

catscast.jpg

It's just another case of "the rules don't apply to me". I don't care what setting is used on the camera or phone, it's illegal, period.

You are allowed to take still photos. No flash, no video. It is stated before every show.

If they want to be severe, they can tag bag phones and cameras like some comedians do for their show. Much like a coat check. Dave Chapelle did that. Russell Peters standard is no phones or recording devices. You can have them in you pocket or purse but if caught you using them you are kicked out of the show immediately. He brings his own extra security to make sure no one breaks that rule.

They don’t make any attempt to stop it either. One big difference now is a camera has a screen like old video recording did back in the day.

When I do take pics from my live reviews I turn the screen to the darkest setting and shoot my photo quick and iPhone back down. People who leave them up for a long time are inconsiderate.

They are still not as bad as parents who let their kids laugh four rows from the front of the stage, for 15 minutes during a performance. That happened the other night during Mama Mia, and we could clearly hear them in the upper level on the opposite side of the theatre. Kudos to the actors for not missing a beat. They eventually left after 15 minutes and all was good. I’m actually surprised no one tried to take the kids or the mother out.

Only show I have ever seen someone stopped from videoing was Spectra's Cabaret on Anthem. Spectra roams a lot during the performance and he went directly to someone who was videoing, waved a finger at him and shook his head no and didn't miss a beat in the song he was singing.

Only show I have ever seen someone stopped from videoing was Spectra's Cabaret on Anthem. Spectra roams a lot during the performance and he went directly to someone who was videoing, waved a finger at him and shook his head no and didn't miss a beat in the song he was singing.

Brilliant, would have loved to see that. Agree with others it's rude, not to mention against the rules, to video show performances.

Well done by the preformer.

I absolutely hate getting a seat and then person in front films the performance. The light from the phone screen is so bright it is distracting for those of us sitting nearby and especially behind.

I totally agree. And now, I'm seeing more and more people texting in the theaters. It's really annoying to sit behind people like that.

Ah yes, the nonstop texters, equally annoying.

We once had a man and his young daughter sitting behind us at a show. She was playing a video game on her iPad with the sound on and he was oblivious. I had to ask him to turn it off or leave. Some people have no understanding of being considerate.

On a barely related note, I was watching comedian Christopher Titus in a comedy club. A girl made a call and tried to be discrete. He saw it, took her phone, called the person on the other end names and then started reading her texts to the crowd.

We once had a man and his young daughter sitting behind us at a show. She was playing a video game on her iPad with the sound on and he was oblivious. I had to ask him to turn it off or leave. Some people have no understanding of being considerate.

I'm glad you said something. That is beyond inconsiderate.

We were watching the Pixels show in 270 on Ovation. It was specifically stated at the beginning no video recording and no use of tablets as they are distracting. A man and woman forward of us immediately began video recording with tablets holding them in the air in front of other people.

The staff came by to tell them to stop, they stopped for a few seconds then started back up. The second time a crew member came by the guy had the nerved to harass the crew member then just started up again when they left. Thankfully they we not directly in front of us.

We were watching the Pixels show in 270 on Ovation. It was specifically stated at the beginning no video recording and no use of tablets as they are distracting. A man and woman forward of us immediately began video recording with tablets holding them in the air in front of other people.

The staff came by to tell them to stop, they stopped for a few seconds then started back up. The second time a crew member came by the guy had the nerved to harass the crew member then just started up again when they left. Thankfully they we not directly in front of us.

I m sure i am just an old person but , I blame social media.. If these people weren't SO consumed with posting and bragging about EVERYTHING , there MIGHT be more considerate behavior. It's not like their writing a HELPFUL review just video to post/brag.

On Harmony this past July, I actually commented to my wife that they did NOT announce no video taping of the show, and they only announced no flash photography.

I thought I must have misheard it, but I paid careful attention at all of the shows over the whole cruise & they never announced no video taping.