General Price Impressions

RadioPeri

Yikes. Anyone else think things are trending RIDICULOUSLY high??

I've got 28 cruises under my belt, so I'm not what you'd call a new, inexperienced cruiser, but I have to say I'm experiencing sticker shock looking at cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for this coming January and February.

Honestly, neither is offering ANYTHING that's making us considering booking, and we're well up on the loyalty chain with both lines. Truthfully, I don't need to spend close to $4k+ for a week for two in a nice cabin with a balcony and a drinks package. More power to these lines if that's what they're getting, but it won't be from us.

Congratulations to shareholders. I hope you're seeing the benefits of cost creep. For the rest of us, it's truly verging on not worth it.

Same for us. After approx 20 cruises with RC, we don't currently have a cruise booked. We went to look at booking while on our cruise in June and the pricing and the (lack of) perks were really disappointing.

Yet thhey keep making more ships when filling them all to capacity....

Yikes. Anyone else think things are trending RIDICULOUSLY high??

I've got 28 cruises under my belt, so I'm not what you'd call a new, inexperienced cruiser, but I have to say I'm experiencing sticker shock looking at cruises on Royal Caribbean and Celebrity for this coming January and February.

Honestly, neither is offering ANYTHING that's making us considering booking, and we're well up on the loyalty chain with both lines. Truthfully, I don't need to spend close to $4k+ for a week for two in a nice cabin with a balcony and a drinks package. More power to these lines if that's what they're getting, but it won't be from us.

Congratulations to shareholders. I hope you're seeing the benefits of cost creep. For the rest of us, it's truly verging on not worth it.

In 1991 it cost $1800 for an inside. That's $3330 in 2018 dollars. No perks with that

In 1990 I spent $700 ($1,349.69 in 2018 dollars) for a solo inside cabin on a 7-day cruise on Commodore Caribe I.

In 1995 I spent $1,437 ($2,376.20 in 2018 dollars) for a solo inside cabin on a 12-day cruise on Celebrity Meridian. I spent $623.12 ($1,030.38 in 2018 dollars) while aboard for those 12 days.

In 2016 I spent $926.22 ($972.53 in 2018 dollars) for a solo inside promenade view cabin on a 7-day cruise on Liberty of the Seas. I spent $404 for a drink package and $88 for internet service.

In 2018, I spent $2,415.38 for a solo ocean-view balcony cabin on Anthem of the Seas on a 12-day cruise on Anthem of the Seas. I spent $555 for a drink package and $117.61 for an internet package.

The product has changed; the market has changed. There's certainly more ships and cabins. But pricing still seems in general better today.

Now, that said, I do get the general feeling Royal Caribbean has been micro-managing inventory to keep prices increasing a little more than what I'd consider normal/inflationary the last 2 years. On the other hand, it's really one time each year that new inventory gets released and then all it does for the next year is sell, decreasing inventory, and allowing for prices to be raised for availability reasons.

I don’t see a significant price increase, in fact, I see some great deals. But then again, I shop around like crazy and stopped being loyal to one cruise line many years ago.

We did choose Royal Caribbean for our last cruise in July, and it was significantly cheaper than a similar itinerary on another cruise line (NCL). We took advantage of a $99 promo for our kids in the same cabin and we used Royal Caribbean Visa credit card points to bring the total cost even lower.

For our next cruise, we are sailing on MSC. We have an Aurea Duplex Suite on their brand new Meraviglia (the equivalent of a Crown Loft Suite on Oasis class ships) for about 1/4 what it would’ve cost us to do a similar itinerary and accommodations on Royal.

They are matching our loyalty status, giving us an additional 5% discount, our kids are sailing for free, and we will have an unlimited drink package as well as access to the Aurea Spa Thermal Suite. We are also getting 2 free massages, free photos and a logo item.

In my humble opinion, if you believe that Royal’s prices are too high, there are many other cruise lines out there offering great deals and promotions. There’s really little reason to remain loyal to one cruise line when there are so many options out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For the two of us to go on the Allure for a week (in a nice cabin with a balcony + the alcohol drink package) it’s costing a little less than $2,000.

Maybe it’s the times we’re going, or we’ve been lucky with deals, but cruising doesn’t seem anymore expensive now than it did when I took my first one in 2005.

In 1991 it cost $1800 for an inside. That's $3330 in 2018 dollars. No perks with that

Yes $1 for $1 cheaper now to cruise even without inflation. In 1988 paid $3800 for a Deck 2 tiny Port Hole 7nite cruise. That was "Low Season" what they called it then. Royal ship's didn't even have Balcony's back then. When my kids were younger late 90's early 2000's 3/4 passenger was usually a lot more then passenger 1/2. Now almost never that way. After 30+ yrs of cruising learned sometimes have to be flexible with dates and watch for price drops. With Royal ships sailing consistently above 105% capacity for years now we are lucky they don't charge more because they could...

I tend to think it is best to look for the best deals and not be tied to a specific brand. However, if I had reached a specific tier level and the perks were good enough, I might change that impression. For my upcoming cruise to Alaska next year, the price per person per day is higher than what I've paid before, but I also see the price being tied directly to the popularity of an itinerary and the ship. As others have said, there are bargains to be found, but it may take time and flexibility to find them.

It’s not the 1980s or 90’s. The comparisons are meaningless. Back then my first computer was $2500, 64 k memory, monocrome monitor, and one disk drive. My $300 tablet is 10 times better. When something new comes out it always cost more then as they perfect it. Try comparing cruise prices from five years ago and you’ll get a different picture. Our last cruise was December 2016 and it was a 14 day (b2b) on the Silhouette in Aqua class. The price was $2150 p.p. and it included $150 p.p. obj and classic drink package. Price it now and see the difference. The product has been diluted yet the prices are rising. Too rich fo my blood.

I jumped from being loyal to ncl to trying a first cruise on rccl

Ncl was way to expensive for the cruise I wanted plus just so so ports

Rccl was 2 nights longer. Better ports and better priced for the same timeframe so we were able to book a balcony and inside versus 2 insides or ov

Now that's not to say I think rccl is a bargain or that they will always be better priced or that I'm now loyal to them

I'm loyal to mine and my family's and my pocketbooks needs and wants. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It’s not the 1980s or 90’s. The comparisons are meaningless. Back then my first computer was $2500, 64 k memory, monocrome monitor, and one disk drive. My $300 tablet is 10 times better. When something new comes out it always cost more then as they perfect it. Try comparing cruise prices from five years ago and you’ll get a different picture. Our last cruise was December 2016 and it was a 14 day (b2b) on the Silhouette in Aqua class. The price was $2150 p.p. and it included $150 p.p. obj and classic drink package. Price it now and see the difference. The product has been diluted yet the prices are rising. Too rich fo my blood.

But your first computer was near the top end of computers. Your tablet is not. Even though you like it and it does what you need it to do.

And technology pricing is not the same as goods and services. If you haven't noticed.

I jumped from being loyal to ncl to trying a first cruise on rccl

Ncl was way to expensive for the cruise I wanted plus just so so ports

Rccl was 2 nights longer. Better ports and better priced for the same timeframe so we were able to book a balcony and inside versus 2 insides or ov

Now that's not to say I think rccl is a bargain or that they will always be better priced or that I'm now loyal to them

I'm loyal to mine and my family's and my pocketbooks needs and wants. Period.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Which ship/itineraries are you comparing if you don't mind me asking? I too switch between RCCL and NCL and I tend to find RCCL is more expensive unless I'm trying an older ship there vs one of the new shiny ones on NCL. I do agree with the itineraries though...RCCL seem to be better.

I have never taken a cruise and am currently pricing out the dates our family can take. I was floored by the prices because my family has said they are so cheap. Well my first thought was no way am I going to spend that much on something we may or may not like. I then started pricing out week long land vacations in Cancun and Punta Cana. They were even MORE expensive than a 7 night cruise on the Allure. Reality, for me, set in when pricing out other options. So now I am waiting for November 2020 itineraries to come out and am pouncing it ASAP.

You don't, but you need to look around and be flexible.

Sailing solo and having to book in CDN dollars - that would often only give an interior with no perks. Sailing this month and only one booked in the future. My cruising days may be ending.

Ok, point taken. Then I take same couple cruises last 5 years. My cruises this year are cheaper then last. And the new ships are better, bigger with more to do then even just couple years ago.

As someone who stuck cruising in high season the prices people pay in off season blow me away ( so jealous). I miss the off season pricing. I have seen a slow and steady increase of the cost just like everything else.

It seems like every year we price a cruise, we price a land vacation and we decide what we want to do. Most years cruising wins.

The key is checking and often even if you're not intending to book. You may just find that deal! Back in 2015 we snagged a 10 day from San Diego to Hawaii (4 islands) for an amazing $679 for 2 people interior. It was a great cruise.

In early 2017 we booked the Family Presidential Suite at an amazing deal and will be leaving for that one in 2 weeks+. We were able to find 3 other couples to go with us, all with their own bedroom and bath and it cost all of us under $2000 per couple. This is the largest suite on Liberty of the Seas, around 1400 sq ft I believe and it is actually a few dollars less than our balcony on Symphony next year!

THere are still good values to be had, but I guess you could say they have gone up over the years. Back when we started, our mantra was $1000 or less for two and about half of all our 23 cruises were around that figure. When we started doing nothing but balconies to help us achieve status, that amount went up to $1200, $1400 and now to $1900. We just had our first Grand Suite on a 5 day on Vision which was a modest $1400. But now I think we have become Suite Life afficionados.:hearteyes:

Good hunting!