Dining room, 1st night prime rib?

#1Nanna

I am wondering If they still have prime rib on the menu in the dining room on embarkation night? I thought I had read a previous post a while back about the menus being changed and prime rib being removed? We will be on The Emerald Princess next month and my husband is really hoping it is still on the menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The five of us ordered the prime rib on the first night of our BI cruise on the Royal. One bite and we looked at each other wondering what it was in front of us. Tasteless hunk of beef. Nobody ventured another bite and our server never asked why we left it on our plates, uneaten. He did give us a presentation about wine tasting, which we declined. After that, we decided the buffet would be a safer place to dine. This is not the first time we have experienced the questionable chunk of beef, poorly presented and no comment or offer to provide an alternative by your steward.

Darcy

Don't know if I would call it Prime Rib. Also, for whatever reason, the service on the first night is usually not good. We found an alternative. There is a "special TA coupon" book that offers BOGO in the Crown Grill on embarkation night.

Hi,

How might one obtain this "special TA coupon" book?

Thanks!

Amy

Hi,

How might one obtain this "special TA coupon" book?

Thanks!

Amy

You need to book with a TA when they are having a promo which includes the coupon book. The first night speciality restaurant coupon is the only good coupon in the book.

The Prime Rib Roasts in the Princess MDR are frequently slow cooked from a semi-frozen state. Thus the grayish color of the cooked meat. The quality of the meat presented is another question.

It has a weird texture, color and taste of any other prime rib I have ever had. It is almost "steamed" or "boiled".

I am used to slow cooking prime rib as I live in midwest and that is how they do it here - though we don't do it from frozen here. Maybe that is the difference? Oh , yea, different quality.

You are right, the quality of the beef in the dining room is very low quality.

We always go to the buffet on the first evening & the prime rib in the past 4 or 5 years has been excellent. The Royal galley also knows how to make it better then any other Princess ship.

Possibly their ovens are different?

Whats better about the buffet is that you can start with a smaller slice in case it's not that good & always get more.

The Caribbean Princess served prime rib on the first night on our June cruise.It was quite good. I always order it on the first night of each cruise. I only had a fatty piece once that was promptly replaced.:)

The beef medallions for lunch in the main dining room are another favorite on the first day.

our first night while on the Grand and cruising the briny blue Pacific on a heading of WSW @ 240* 13 knots we dined Botticelli. Several entrees were offered, none as popular as Prime rib with au jus. After several glasses of Oveja Negra, our wonderful head server presented a soft pink 8oz sliced portion of USDA select grade boneless rib eye, with a combination side of new potatoes and and yellow finger potatoes, Broccoli with water chestnuts and roasted blue lake green beans lightly season with Himalayan Pink salt green Madagascar pepper corns. My au jus was waiting for me on the side in a ramekin. We/I ordered another bottle of the Chilean Oveja Negra and to compliment the lighter side of fellow diners a lovely French Baron D' Arignac Colombard. It soon became apparent that a great time was being had by all and another round of Prime rib was ordered and delivered in the same fashion as the first. This process was repeated again while on the return leg heading of ESE 120* @ 14 knots ...in the middle of the briny blue Pacific.

our first night while on the Grand and cruising the briny blue Pacific on a heading of WSW @ 240* 13 knots we dined Botticelli. Several entrees were offered, none as popular as Prime rib with au jus.

Broccoli with water chestnuts and roasted blue lake green beans lightly season with Himalayan Pink salt green Madagascar pepper corns. My au jus was waiting for me on the side in a ramekin.

So how does mine always come with an over baked baked potato and corn on the cob that doesn't have flavor? No ramekin for me either.....

The Caribbean Princess served prime rib on the first night on our June cruise.It was quite good. I always order it on the first night of each cruise. I only had a fatty piece once that was promptly replaced.:)

The beef medallions for lunch in the main dining room are another favorite on the first day.

It was on the menu on the CB in August as well. Missed it as we went to the Lido. Agree about the lunch medallions. On the Star in March and the CB in Aug they were excellent.

We've had some excellent beef in the Crown Grill.

• Like 1

Now that might just make me go there for a change. :)

Do you know if they served the medallions on a sea day also?

So how does mine always come with an over baked baked potato and corn on the cob that doesn't have flavor? No ramekin for me either.....
corn on the cob ! Must be an East coast thing, we had baked Idaho russet potatoes with real butter, en route to Ensenada .