Regal Stuck In Kristiansand & Passengers Confined to Cabins

Griller

"Confined" for a souls-on-board check takes about an hour (more on a Royal class I assume). We had a count occur on a TA several years ago due to a feared overboard. They really do need you to stay put in order to get an accurate count. We didn't try to bust out, as we understood the seriousness of it, but I don't think it was a armed guard outside of every cabin sort of thing.

I am on the ship right now and we were confined to our cabins. We were not allowed to leave until everyone was accounted for.

Just when you need the Ocean Medallion system to be fully implemented and working. Locate those missing people fast if they are on the ship (with their OMs) and the computers that work with ***** are functioning.

My girlfriend texted me this morning and said you were going to get to Scotland late at 11 am tomorrow. I know their tour has been canceled. They just got back their TV a couple of hours ago.

Did the people that hadn't shown up for immigration every show up?!!

If you meet a Kathy & Bernie from Canada, tell them Carolyn says to have a shot of fireball for her! LOL

Not a good advertisement for the "shore power" hookup. The first ship to use that system has a major problem. One has to wonder if the two are related.

Sounded like the power hit took out multiple systems, so it does point to the new shore power hook up. Not sailing could have been an indication it took out some of the nav systems also.

It was just an hour. Grillers title for this post was a bit over dramatic. Talk about Fake News! This is how rumors get started. In the grand scheme of things, this was no biggie.

In 2007 on the Regal we had to go to our rooms for about that amount of time for a man overboard. It happens, no big drama. (No one was missing, they think it was clothing someone left out on the balcony.)

You should all get Lobsters free for missing the important tour. 4 hrs. late is a big deal when you miss a major tour that's important to you. Not Fake news

Really?! That's absurd! It is no fault of Princess, and you think they should give you free . . .anything?

Also onboard. Here’s an account of what happened that I wrote for my FaceBook Page:

The port of Kristiensand installed a new land power generator to provide electricity to ships at the pier. The Regal Princess was the first ship to use the system, cutting off it’s engines and onboard generators and switching to “shore power.” A ship of this size consumes a LOT of power. This was supposed to be a big “fuel saver” and the city even had a dockside presentation for the ship’s staff to celebrate this momentous occasion. You guessed it! At about 1:00pm the shore power system failed plunging the ship into darkness (except for emergency lighting). The ship’s generators were fired up and power switched back on within about 15 minutes. But not before finding that the failure had “fried” the ship’s servers that control the “Hotel” division of the ship ... passenger services, restaurants, the TV systems and the internet were all now offline and not available to passengers or staff. Usually, when you come back from port, you simply scan your cruise card and the ship’s personnel know you’re onboard. With the servers down, that wasn’t working and we had to go to a back-up manual system. The ship could not leave port until everyone was accounted for. First the ship’s 1,200 staff had to go to their muster stations to be physically counted “present.” Then, an announcement was made for all 3,500 passengers to return to their cabins and stay there until room stewards “swept the ship” checking every cabin and all passengers had been accounted for. It was then safe to sail, even though the servers had not been restored. We left port several hours late meaning that we missed high-tide and now couldn’t sail through the planned passages. We’d need to take the longer route around and would now be forced to arrive late in the port of Greenock (for Glasgow). The captain was great during the entire process keeping us well informed of progress. We were assured that both ship IT folks and land-based IT people are working to get services back. Internet was working after about 12 hours and the TV came back about 24 hours later.

Very true...

I am one to wait for the upsell- and if the price is right, then I will go for it. I have yet to book a suite at the published price.

And you are totally correct about the useless balconies on the Royal Class builds- on the Rivera Deck suites. So tiny.

I had a mini on the bump-out booked on the Regal for a Baltic’s cruise a few years ago, but did not end up going on that sailing.

I love, love, love the minis on the Royal class builds. That curtain is everything!

Enjoy your cruise!

Please could you explain the last comment

Please could you explain the last comment

On the Royal, Regal, and Majestic- the mini suites have a heavy curtain that can be pulle across the cabin to divide the space. It is the next best thing to having two separate rooms. The curtain really does its work in blocking some light and dulling some sound. It is a great addition.

Also onboard. Here’s an account of what happened that I wrote for my FaceBook Page:

The port of Kristiensand installed a new land power generator to provide electricity to ships at the pier. The Regal Princess was the first ship to use the system, cutting off it’s engines and onboard generators and switching to “shore power.” A ship of this size consumes a LOT of power. This was supposed to be a big “fuel saver” and the city even had a dockside presentation for the ship’s staff to celebrate this momentous occasion. You guessed it! At about 1:00pm the shore power system failed plunging the ship into darkness (except for emergency lighting). The ship’s generators were fired up and power switched back on within about 15 minutes. But not before finding that the failure had “fried” the ship’s servers that control the “Hotel” division of the ship ... passenger services, restaurants, the TV systems and the internet were all now offline and not available to passengers or staff. Usually, when you come back from port, you simply scan your cruise card and the ship’s personnel know you’re onboard. With the servers down, that wasn’t working and we had to go to a back-up manual system. The ship could not leave port until everyone was accounted for. First the ship’s 1,200 staff had to go to their muster stations to be physically counted “present.” Then, an announcement was made for all 3,500 passengers to return to their cabins and stay there until room stewards “swept the ship” checking every cabin and all passengers had been accounted for. It was then safe to sail, even though the servers had not been restored. We left port several hours late meaning that we missed high-tide and now couldn’t sail through the planned passages. We’d need to take the longer route around and would now be forced to arrive late in the port of Greenock (for Glasgow). The captain was great during the entire process keeping us well informed of progress. We were assured that both ship IT folks and land-based IT people are working to get services back. Internet was working after about 12 hours and the TV came back about 24 hours later.

l think that's a biggie to me. And extra lobsters for inconvenience is not a bad gesture . And would not be considered free for nothing. My father in law got stuck in the Elevator, yes that would piss me off. Then miss an important port tour to boot. Should of tested system before they blew out the putters and power.

l think that's a biggie to me. And extra lobsters for inconvenience is not a bad gesture . And would not be considered free for nothing. My father in law got stuck in the Elevator, yes that would piss me off. Then miss an important port tour to boot. Should of tested system before they blew out the putters and power.

In a power outage did the elevator simply not lower to a certain deck (i.e. normal gangway deck) and doors open? I have seen this on other ship and understood it was standard for safety.

You should all get Lobsters free for missing the important tour. 4 hrs. late is a big deal when you miss a major tour that's important to you. Not Fake news

I agree, not "Fake News!" Fake news is when it didn't happen and it was reported as a factual story. Either they were ordered to their cabins for a head count or they were not. People posting here who are onboard backs up the OP's story.

I also agree with this. We have a British Isles cruise booked for next year. After over a year’s worth of planning and anticipation, we would be extremely disappointed to pull into Greenock to find that our excursion to Edinburgh is cancelled.