"Happy Hour" in The Wheelhouse Bar

harryt8

When are Princess going to re-instate "Happy Hour" in the Wheelhouse Bar on all cruises? This was an event enjoyed by all passengers that made money for Princess, but some genius in Head Office decided they'd make even more if they cancelled the event and made passengers pay top dollar for drinks at all times. Anyone privvy to the actual figures? 1f629.png

High level corporate officers and staff would be privy to the data.

But...

If they never replace the BOGO 4a$, passengers will either not know about it (newbies), forget about it (oldies), not care about it (package holders and non drinkers), stop cruising Princess(quitters), or just keep cruising(cruisers). In the end the cruise ships will still sail (and sale) full and Princess will make money.

Sucks doesn’t it.

As far as I know, Happy Hours exist. Perhaps not every day, but there have been Happy Hours in 2018 since the directive went out. IMO it had to be "walked back" due to passenger reaction.

I thought they brought it back, but only late at night.

This horse has been beaten to death.:rolleyes:

Princess obviously has the data that shows that they make more money on drinks without the happy hours, at least in the twice a day incarnation. That they've brought it back on some ships once a day is probably for test purposes. Maybe a happy hour medium will be found... ;p.

You get some discounts on a few types of drinks and some simple snacks. Some passengers loved it. Me? Not so much.

I think you're talking about the "suites and elites" mixer every night, which still exists. It includes "fancy" munchies and discounted drinks. Not to be confused with happy hour of B1G1 for $1, which has made a limited comeback on some ships and some time slots.

JMHO The happy hour BOGO was probably never intended to such a big daily event where folks bought their only alcohol of the day which they drank as fast as they could and took some to go. Probably was a marketing ploy to get people to find the bars and find their favorite drink. again JMHO So as it evolved, it stopped being a money maker in general?

It's good that it back on the limited basis and may serve that was the original purchase. Liked the ones that had a festive social atmosphere, but others turned into a very ugly crowded scene with people abusing the servers.

This horse has been beaten to death.:rolleyes:

Princess obviously has the data that shows that they make more money on drinks without the happy hours, at least in the twice a day incarnation. That they've brought it back on some ships once a day is probably for test purposes. Maybe a happy hour medium will be found... ;p.

The horse needs to be beaten some more....

From what I've seen, BOGO+1 was a huge, well-loved perk for the passengers and the bar and wait staff (extra tips). For us, it was something to look forward to, as we made friends and would meet for a couple drinks in the afternoon. Never once did we observe anyone abusing the staff or causing problems. Maybe that occurs on the short booze cruises, but not on the longer cruises we've been on.

Personally, we have no interest in a late night BOGO, as we don't drink after 8:00 or so (interrupts my sleep).

We're on a 10 day cruise in February, hopefully they'll offer an afternoon BOGO at least some days on that trip.

It seems likely that the drink packages are a better money-maker than BOGO ever hoped to be -- so why distract from trying to sell those drink packages? Eliminate all other good deals on drinks and you can nudge the herd over toward the drink packages. Wouldn't have to sell very many of them to earn more than BOGO did.

I think you're talking about the "suites and elites" mixer every night, which still exists. It includes "fancy" munchies and discounted drinks. Not to be confused with happy hour of B1G1 for $1, which has made a limited comeback on some ships and some time slots.

Oh dear! Yes, you are correct. Sorry for my confusion. Maybe I've been to too many happy hours?

It seems likely that the drink packages are a better money-maker than BOGO ever hoped to be -- so why distract from trying to sell those drink packages? Eliminate all other good deals on drinks and you can nudge the herd over toward the drink packages. Wouldn't have to sell very many of them to earn more than BOGO did.

On our 28 day cruise last October we had the Sip and Sail so didn't need the BOGO. However, Wheelhouse was jam packed twice each day (both BOGO sessions were in Wheelhouse). On our 14 day Caribbean cruise this April we again had the package but there was no BOGO. Wheelhouse was a graveyard all day long. I don't think Princess was making more money. An empty bar is an empty bar whether they sell the AIBP or not. It was the BOGO that really packed the venue.

I often drink straight Scotch or Bourbon. If I don't want to actually hang out and drink at the late night BOGO I can still go there, get a double straight up, and take it back to the cabin. It's there the next day when I want a drink. :p

On our 28 day cruise last October we had the Sip and Sail so didn't need the BOGO. However, Wheelhouse was jam packed twice each day (both BOGO sessions were in Wheelhouse). On our 14 day Caribbean cruise this April we again had the package but there was no BOGO. Wheelhouse was a graveyard all day long. I don't think Princess was making more money. An empty bar is an empty bar whether they sell the AIBP or not. It was the BOGO that really packed the venue.

I often drink straight Scotch or Bourbon. If I don't want to actually hang out and drink at the late night BOGO I can still go there, get a double straight up, and take it back to the cabin. It's there the next day when I want a drink. :p

If passengers have paid for the AIBP an empty bar = more profit for pincess

JMHO The happy hour BOGO was probably never intended to such a big daily event where folks bought their only alcohol of the day which they drank as fast as they could and took some to go. Probably was a marketing ploy to get people to find the bars and find their favorite drink.

It actually started as a B1G1 in Skywalkers around 10 PM or 11 PM as a way of enticing more people to that venue for late evening activity.

It eventually became the twice a day event where the afternoon was often 3-4 PM an hour when the bars were not previously very busy.

As far as I know, Happy Hours exist. Perhaps not every day, but there have been Happy Hours in 2018 since the directive went out. IMO it had to be "walked back" due to passenger reaction.

On our back to back (14-nights) Caribbean Princess cruise to the east and west Caribbean in August there was NO Happy Hour. The drink of the day was discounted a few dollars, but we didn't partake.

Sure sorry to see the BOGO fall by the wayside. I believe the passengers will suffer, the bartenders will suffer and even the money coming into Princess will suffer.