Oasis Sept 9, and 15, 2018 My thoughts

rt1092

After reading a few of the pages on another thread for this sailing I decided to start my own.

We did a B2B from Sept 9 to Sept 23. Stayed in a boardwalk balcony 11293 (same room both times).

In general both cruises were okay. No major complaints (except for the ladies room toilets aft on decks 4 to 6). But in general the ship lacked WOW.

Boarding was a breeze as usual. Got off the ship on turnaround day and back on before the lunch in Giovani's (which was not spectacular).

Ate dinner in the CK the first week, first nite (both sailings) was great. The rest of the time good but not great. Second leg we ate in the MDR a couple of times. Giovanni's once (which was great) and found dinner in the Solarium Bistro (a closely guarded secret) to be excellent. Even noticed Captain Claus eating there one night.

The cruise director was one of the most entertaining we have seen in a long time. Meal with an officer in Chop's excellent.

The problem with the plumbing was terrible with no flushing water available for long periods of time (2 days on and off, second leg) in the aft ladies room on decks 4, 5, and 6. You don't want me to repeat the description my wife gave (I'm sure I'd get banned or worse). The toilets in our rooms had no water on 2 nights for a few hours each night. But that was livable.

The room attendant and the wait staff were fine.

I was refused entry into the Diamond lounge one formal night because I had shorts on. No problem. Cabin was right around the corner and I had forgotten it was formal night. She enforced the rule equally to all.

All in all the ship is getting a little ragged. It is in need of the total refurbishing they have scheduled. To many things that were almost right. Running out of Bailey's before 7 pm in the lounge, and not going to get a bottle somewhere, errant charges on the seapass account. To not having my credit card info for the second leg (I did the sea pass properly, even had a copy to show them there was a card on there)

The ship used to be our favorite (been on it 11 or 12 times) For a less experienced cruiser I'm sure there is plenty of WOW. But I for one am happily looking forward to the Harmony coming to PC. We will have to deal with the Oasis 6 more times till she leaves.

Edited by rt1092

Cancel your Oasis cruises and cut your losses. No one is forcing you to cruise six more times on a ship you don't like.

You assume to much. I never said I didn't like it. Just that it lacked the WOW That it used to have.

After reading a few of the pages on another thread for this sailing I decided to start my own.

We did a B2B from Sept 9 to Sept 23. Stayed in a boardwalk balcony 11293 (same room both times).

In general both cruises were okay. No major complaints (except for the ladies room toilets aft on decks 4 to 6). But in general the ship lacked WOW.

Boarding was a breeze as usual. Got off the ship on turnaround day and back on before the lunch in Giovani's (which was not spectacular).

Ate dinner in the CK the first week, first nite (both sailings) was great. The rest of the time good but not great. Second leg we ate in the MDR a couple of times. Giovanni's once (which was great) and found dinner in the Solarium Bistro (a closely guarded secret) to be excellent. Even noticed Captain Claus eating there one night.

The cruise director was one of the most entertaining we have seen in a long time. Meal with an officer in Chop's excellent.

The problem with the plumbing was terrible with no flushing water available for long periods of time (2 days on and off, second leg) in the aft ladies room on decks 4, 5, and 6. You don't want me to repeat the description my wife gave (I'm sure I'd get banned or worse). The toilets in our rooms had no water on 2 nights for a few hours each night. But that was livable.

The room attendant and the wait staff were fine.

I was refused entry into the Diamond lounge one formal night because I had shorts on. No problem. Cabin was right around the corner and I had forgotten it was formal night. She enforced the rule equally to all.

All in all the ship is getting a little ragged. It is in need of the total refurbishing they have scheduled. To many things that were almost right. Running out of Bailey's before 7 pm in the lounge, and not going to get a bottle somewhere, errant charges on the seapass account. To not having my credit card info for the second leg (I did the sea pass properly, even had a copy to show them there was a card on there)

The ship used to be our favorite (been on it 11 or 12 times) For a less experienced cruiser I'm sure there is plenty of WOW. But I for one am happily looking forward to the Harmony coming to PC. We will have to deal with the Oasis 6 more times till she leaves.

You assume to much. I never said I didn't like it. Just that it lacked the WOW That it used to have.

Nice dodge of the point.

Nice dodge of the point.

Price and location mean a lot to me. I'll put up with it knowing it is only temporary.

We are paying a total of $5700 total for 42 nights at sea. In a balcony cabin on 5 of them. That is why I'm not going to change them. It's worth $68 pp per nite.

Sailed on the Oasis 10 times in previous and it was great from this July till now. It has lost the WOW factor.

Looking forward to the Harmony, the Brilliance, the Symphony, and the Mariner, To keep us happy till it leaves.

I will be on Oasis next week. We have never sailed with Royal So I hope it has a wow factor for us!

I’m sure I would be bored with a ship after one or two times. I want to go as long as possible before we repeat a ship.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I will be on Oasis next week. We have never sailed with Royal So I hope it has a wow factor for us!

I’m sure I would be bored with a ship after one or two times. I want to go as long as possible before we repeat a ship.

No worries. Have a great cruise!

I know they fixed the water problem the second week but was there issues the first that could have been draining the crew? I don’t know how everyone could have gotten thru the second week without being less ‘wow’.

I hope that your next cruises have a little more wow - sounds like a few more Solarium Bistro reservations at least are a good idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sure you will have a great cruise. Most of the issues were frequent cruiser related. Things that should be easily done that were repeatedly not done. Things that a couple of phone calls resolved. But we should not have had to make phone calls.

Unless Royal bought about 60 more ships a repeat would be necessary for us. Other than any Quantum class ships. The Voyager, The Adventurer (sailing next year) , and the Brilliance (sailing next month) we have sailed them all.

The carpets are worn and stained in a few places. Something that a new cruiser probably would not even notice. There have been cutbacks also something a new cruiser wouldn't notice.

The ladies bathroom problem was almost unforgivable though. My wife had to go to from deck 4 to deck 8 to get a ladies room where the toilets flushed. This problem happened more than once in the second week. Hopefully they will have resolved them. A not have a recurring problem like the Majesty did before the refurbishment.

For those that think the ship is flawless, you must have set a very low bar.

I doubt they have sailed the Harmony and the Oasis in 2 week period to honestly compare them.

Edited by rt1092

Oasis is a great ship. We just sailed Oasis September 2nd and had a great time. Our sailing had no water issues to my knowledge, I do know there were some issues the week after and passengers were notified that maintenance had to be conducted during the overnight hours.

Go with an open mind and be prepared to be wowed. Oasis is such a unique class of ship and has lots to offer to both the first time cruiser and those of us who have been on it multiple times.

Oasis is a great ship. We just sailed Oasis September 2nd and had a great time. Our sailing had no water issues to my knowledge, I do know there were some issues the week after and passengers were notified that maintenance had to be conducted during the overnight hours.

Go with an open mind and be prepared to be wowed. Oasis is such a unique class of ship and has lots to offer to both the first time cruiser and those of us who have been on it multiple times.

They were still doing maintenance for the next 2 weeks during the wee hours of the night. on both of the next 2 sailings (don't recall seeing any notices though) .

The real problem was when the ladies rooms on deck 4, 5, 6, and 7 had no water in the toilets (plenty of water in the sinks) 2 times in the early evening both lasted a couple of hours. That had a few new cruisers saying never again.

They were still doing maintenance for the next 2 weeks during the wee hours of the night. on both of the next 2 sailings (don't recall seeing any notices though) .

The real problem was when the ladies rooms on deck 4, 5, 6, and 7 had no water in the toilets (plenty of water in the sinks) 2 times in the early evening both lasted a couple of hours. That had a few new cruisers saying never again.

Not sure why you don't seem to get the letters others do in their cabins.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2681435&highlight=oasis

Water was off last night from 12:00 until around 7:00 this morning while they performed maintenance. A letter was delivered to all staterooms advising of it.

Not sure why you don't seem to get the letters others do in their cabins.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2681435&highlight=oasis

[/u][/i][/b]

Not just us that didn't get any notice We were sailing with another couple in the cabin next to us and they didn't receive any notice either. It was only a minor inconvenience. Not anything to call GS about.

Just strengthens my "lack of WOW" theory.

I verify that there were lots of issues with toilets flushing, etc. on the Sept 16 sailing. It was quite annoying to have to leave the theater and get on the elevator or stairs and go up several floors to use the restroom. We got a letter one night that there was a problem with their potable water and that the water would be turned off 2am-6am that night to resolve the issue. The issues continued after that, but we got no other letters or updates. I also noticed fans blowing on carpets outside of bathroom doors on several different decks later in the week. Maybe they had overflow problems? We enjoyed our week as well, but agree that Oasis is in need of some refurbishing.

Ur post made me smile. I use an identical method to assess the value of my cruise vacations. 2017: 58 cruise nights for $9900. 2018: 58 cruise nights $6300. All in suites except for the balcony i put my sons in once per year.

I try to use $100 pp/pn as a planning tool. Still think it’s the best value for my vacation dollar

Price and location mean a lot to me. I'll put up with it knowing it is only temporary.

We are paying a total of $5700 total for 42 nights at sea. In a balcony cabin on 5 of them. That is why I'm not going to change them. It's worth $68 pp per nite.

Sailed on the Oasis 10 times in previous and it was great from this July till now. It has lost the WOW factor.

Looking forward to the Harmony, the Brilliance, the Symphony, and the Mariner, To keep us happy till it leaves.

Even by being Pinnacle, no idea how you are pulling off that kind of price for 5 - 7 day cruises for 2, balcony cabins...that's comes out to about $ 500 per person in the balcony cabins....and $700 total for the non balcony cruise( I can see that price) but not for those balcony cabins............

Jimbo:)

Even by being Pinnacle, no idea how you are pulling off that kind of price for 5 - 7 day cruises for 2, balcony cabins...that's comes out to about $ 500 per person in the balcony cabins....:)

He didn't say ocean view balconies - like his OP, it is very likely neighborhood balconies.

Sub $500pp CP or Boardwalk balconies can be had.

He didn't say ocean view balconies - like his OP, it is very likely neighborhood balconies.

Sub $500pp CP or Boardwalk balconies can be had.

I wouldn't really consider those as being as nice as pure oceanview balconies. Then I guess maybe the OP can get it for that price.

Thanks! I’m excited to try it out.