Bait and Switch on itinerary for upcoming cruise

Bogartpa

11/3 repositioning cruise on Bliss............original itinerary had a stop planned for Puerto Vallarta, but about a month ago they changed it to Cabo San Lucas due to a “berthing conflict.” Not a big deal, both nice modern cities. Today, one month before we sail and long after final payment,we were notified via email that due to another berthing conflict Cabo San Lucas has been cancelled and now we are headed to Ensenada Mexico. The ship has not grown, there has been no storm damage to reduce the number of available docks..........how could this happen and how can they get away with it ? Did the cruise sneak up on them ?Could it be that this port is less expensive at which to dock and this is why they have made the changes ? We can not come up with any other explanation, can you ?

They have offered us $100 on board credit which only added salt to the already open wound ! NCL used to care about their customers, especially repeat customers. That too has changed !

You might want to research what "bait and switch" means before accusing a company of illegal actions....my pet peeve. If you really, after researching "bait and switch", think they have done something illegal, contact your attorney.

BTW, welcome to cruise critic.

Edited by NLH Arizona
  • Haha 1

They seem to be making lots of changes lately. My upcoming Panama Canal cruise in Nov on Pearl...they just changed Belize City to Harvest Caye and swapped the actual date of the port call with Santo Tomas. I enjoy Harvest Caye a lot. My point is that they seem to be changing things rather last minute, though.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

11/3 repositioning cruise on Bliss............original itinerary had a stop planned for Puerto Vallarta, but about a month ago they changed it to Cabo San Lucas due to a “berthing conflict.” Not a big deal, both nice modern cities. Today, one month before we sail and long after final payment,we were notified via email that due to another berthing conflict Cabo San Lucas has been cancelled and now we are headed to Ensenada Mexico. The ship has not grown, there has been no storm damage to reduce the number of available docks..........how could this happen and how can they get away with it ? Did the cruise sneak up on them ?Could it be that this port is less expensive at which to dock and this is why they have made the changes ? We can not come up with any other explanation, can you ?

They have offered us $100 on board credit which only added salt to the already open wound ! NCL used to care about their customers, especially repeat customers. That too has changed !

This change was made a while ago. Didn’t you post a similar message last week?

For Cabo, they have to be able to get commitments from enough large water taxis to tender. You don’t want to make that long run 100 people at a time in lifeboats.

We are on the same cruise and I posted a thread on this a couple days back on this itinerary change.

At this point I'm just happy the ship is still going through the canal at this point.

As far as the changed Mexico ports it is a letdown but this cruise is all about the Canal and secondarily about the Bliss.

well first of all, Encanada, though not all as modern as say, Cabo, isn't bad either and it can be fun if you take the chip off your shoulder. No one is doing a bait and switch on you for no reason and you are getting a $100 OBC. I think that is pretty generous. What would you expect a cruise line, any line to do when there is a birthing problem? Go, enjoy your cruise and think about it this way: Most of the Mexican ports are so much alike it really makes no difference which ones you visit? :confused:

For Cabo, they have to be able to get commitments from enough large water taxis to tender.
Shouldn't they have gotten that commitment before they published the itinerary?

take the chip off your shoulder.
Ubeleivable. NCL makes a change that as far as anyone can determine is due to their planning (or lack thereof) and the passenger is the one with a "chip on his shoulder". I guess that is to be expected on the CC NCL boards.
What would you expect a cruise line, any line to do when there is a birthing problem?
I'd expect them to not publish an itinerary until they know they actually can dock in the port or have enough tenders, or whatever it is they need. No one has said what the problem was. If the problem was something out on NCLs control (e.g. damaged pier), I am pretty sure they would have stated so.

I'd expect them to not publish an itinerary until they know they actually can dock in the port or have enough tenders, or whatever it is they need. No one has said what the problem was. If the problem was something out on NCLs control (e.g. damaged pier), I am pretty sure they would have stated so.

For what it is worth, I agree with you on both of these points. My March 2019 cruise was booked to be at Harvest Caye on the same day as the Breakaway. I can find no evidence that Harvest Caye has ever been able to dock two ships, and no evidence that a construction project was in play to make it able to dock two ships. Yet that is exactly what they sold. I received notice yesterday of a switcharound of the itinerary, keeping all the original ports but going on different days. I know full well that they are entitled to make port changes as needed, but I disagree that poor planning should be an acceptable reason to do so. Frankly, I'm surprised you received that much OBC for the change though. Their standard offering in such cases is usually much lower.

• Like 1

Got to give the OP some credit for 1st post and using the old " bait and Switch" in the title.

Got the attention needed.

It's not a bait and switch , it's an itinerary change that ALL cruiselines will/can do. So Carnival, NCL and all others must not "care" about their customers either.

Yes it is part of the contract MOST people don't read.

Take a deep breath, have a glass of milk with some warm chocolate chip 🍪. Might make one feel better.

The original itinerary for the first Panama cruise for the Bliss included Puerto Chiapas, we were there with the Pearl and I thought NO WAY will the Bliss fit. Was not surprised when itinerary changed, was surprised when the Captain said the port had said yes. They didn’t realize how big she was, until she started sailing.

Having never done the Baja Peninsula side of Mexico, I would be disappointed too. And I can see how you might knee jerk and call it a bait and switch by advertising one port and then switching to another. However, there are so many inner workings that go on behind the scenes that we can never quite imagine. I'm fairly certain that this wasn't their intent. Cruising is so much fun that really, you should have a great time where ever you go. So try looking at this as an excuse to book another trip that takes you to the ports you had to skip.

Bait and switch doesn't mean what you think it means.

• Thanks 1

Ubeleivable. NCL makes a change that as far as anyone can determine is due to their planning (or lack thereof) and the passenger is the one with a "chip on his shoulder". I guess that is to be expected on the CC NCL boards. I'd expect them to not publish an itinerary until they know they actually can dock in the port or have enough tenders, or whatever it is they need. No one has said what the problem was. If the problem was something out on NCLs control (e.g. damaged pier), I am pretty sure they would have stated so.

Let me just say, it is a Panama canal sailing and that is what the OP booked I m guessing. Who cares about one port being changed except someone who enjoys stirring the pot. The cruise hasn't even taken place yet. OP might, if he/she opened their eyes actually enjoy the new itinerary. Griping before one ever gets on the ship is a wasted of energy and asking to be disappointed. The entire cruise experience is what should matter, not missing one port or having a port change. This happens often as most of us know It happens for many reasons. As for not posting before the itinerary is set. The cruise dates come out as early as 2 years before sailing, so many things can happen between then and actual sailing dates.

Edited by newmexicoNita
  • Thanks 1

Ubeleivable. NCL makes a change that as far as anyone can determine is due to their planning (or lack thereof) and the passenger is the one with a "chip on his shoulder". I guess that is to be expected on the CC NCL boards. I'd expect them to not publish an itinerary until they know they actually can dock in the port or have enough tenders, or whatever it is they need. No one has said what the problem was. If the problem was something out on NCLs control (e.g. damaged pier), I am pretty sure they would have stated so.

Exactly! NCL failed in its planning and of course their paying customers will complain!

Just because some of you think no other port is important doesn't mean OP agrees with you!

According to the cruise contract NCL doesn't even need to make the canal so OP, next time when book a NCL cruise, assume it's a cruise that goes to nowhere no matter what the advertised terms say!

For what it is worth, I agree with you on both of these points. My March 2019 cruise was booked to be at Harvest Caye on the same day as the Breakaway. I can find no evidence that Harvest Caye has ever been able to dock two ships, and no evidence that a construction project was in play to make it able to dock two ships. Yet that is exactly what they sold. I received notice yesterday of a switcharound of the itinerary, keeping all the original ports but going on different days. I know full well that they are entitled to make port changes as needed, but I disagree that poor planning should be an acceptable reason to do so. Frankly, I'm surprised you received that much OBC for the change though. Their standard offering in such cases is usually much lower.

This!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

ah the olde bait and switch routine, changing itinerary, no weather involved routine, no reason to get off ship in ensanada

I have seen five ships tender before in Cabo beautiful area, same for Porto Vallarta

Edited by Newleno

Hey if you purchased the Nationwide Luxury insurance each guest gets 1250.00 for that switch....Just saying