Lunch

robindina

I got so much food info regarding breakfast thought I would ask about lunch. We are on the valor and are planning to only do what is included food wise. It is our first carnival cruise. The hubby and I don’t like buffet, so curious what other options are for lunch and what is your favorite thing to order?

I got so much food info regarding breakfast thought I would ask about lunch. We are on the valor and are planning to only do what is included food wise. It is our first carnival cruise. The hubby and I don’t like buffet, so curious what other options are for lunch and what is your favorite thing to order?

Just walk around lido and you will see.

Until 2011 Carnival served lunch in the main dining room on sea days. It was rarely busy and the service good and the menu selections varied. Some of the lunch menu items shown here are still available on select Carnival Journey cruises. As much as I enjoy the Carnival Seaday Brunch menu I long for the days when these menus were served as well. The Mongolian Steak Salad was particularly popular with members of Cruise Critic and the cruising public.

L3.0207.jpg

L2.0207.jpg

L1.0109.jpg

I consider all the food venues on the LIdo deck to be stations at the "buffet".

They may have separate names but they are stand in line , tell what you want, or take what you want, food venues and are not sit down restaurant choices.

The Mongolian Wok is one that always has a looong line. The deli and the pizza area and the bbq place, and Blue Iguana for Mexican and Guys for hamburgers to me are all part of the Lido buffet area.

You may think of them as separate "restaurants" but I don't see it that way!

I consider all the food venues on the LIdo deck to be stations at the "buffet".

They may have separate names but they are stand in line , tell what you want, or take what you want, food venues and are not sit down restaurant choices.

The Mongolian Wok is one that always has a looong line. The deli and the pizza area and the bbq place, and Blue Iguana for Mexican and Guys for hamburgers to me are all part of the Lido buffet area.

You may think of them as separate "restaurants" but I don't see it that way!

You can consider it all a buffet if you want...but it’s not all a buffet. A buffet is where you get your own food using the nasty tongs 3,000 other people have touched...and sometimes they have the nasty tongs laying in the food. Sometimes they grab stuff and put it back...

Mongolian Wok is somewhat buffet since everyone has access to the veggies. But Pizza, Deli, Burgers, burritos and BBQ are not. Your food is cooked fresh and served by food service workers at those locations. And if Valor is like Freedom, the BBQ place is above the buffet and has its own seating area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Saint Greg

Until 2011 Carnival served lunch in the main dining room on sea days. It was rarely busy and the service good and the menu selections varied. Some of the lunch menu items shown here are still available on select Carnival Journey cruises. As much as I enjoy the Carnival Seaday Brunch menu I long for the days when these menus were served as well. The Mongolian Steak Salad was particularly popular with members of Cruise Critic and the cruising public.

L3.0207.jpg

L2.0207.jpg

L1.0109.jpg

I agree whole heartedly! Thank you for this.

I LOVED the Mongolian Steak Salad and the Pepper Pot soup! Ribs were great too.

I really miss the sea day lunches. Brings back good memories.

Actually I didnt try the BBQ until at least day 4 and loved it. everything I had was good, even the sides.

You have to get up the stairs at the very back of the buffet and a lot of people dont find it so its rarely crowded. Ive noticed thats where a lot of crew members seem to eat, either because its good or not crowded.

I love guys burgers, and I used to like Mongolian wok better when they had sugar snap beans or whatever they were. Now they substituted green beans, its not as good to me since they cheapened it up and yes the line is long and takes a while, so plan to wait. They make each persons food individually so the line doesnt move all that fast. I try and do it one day a cruise, but pick a day when its just opening or the line is shorter.

Seaday Brunch: flamin' tomato soup to start, followed by egg benedict, accompanied by a mimosa. YUM.

Spicy Bloody Mary and I get that chicken thing with egg and tortilla, not sure the name of it, its decent and comes with 3 kinds of mexican sauces.

you can order steak and eggs, though I never have.

dont know why they have to call them heuvevous or whatever is the spanish for eggs, not everyone speaks spanish. I didnt know they were just eggs first couple of times.

The Pepper Pot Soup is on the Port of Call MDR dinner menu on Western Caribbean sailings, at least on itineraries with a stop in Jamaica.

Sent from my SM-J727P using Forums mobile app

Sea Day breakfast and lunch in the MDR still exist on longer cruises and split with Sea Day brunch. The menus are the same as days gone by, but have been reformatted. Mongolian Steak Salad is alive and well, as is the soup.

The Pepper Pot Soup is on the Port of Call MDR dinner menu on Western Caribbean sailings, at least on itineraries with a stop in Jamaica.

Thanks for this good news, my February Dream cruise is looking better all the time. After a day visiting the parish of St Ann, the birthplace of Bob Marley, I can look forward to a dinner that starts with Pepper Pot soup that evening.

Do you have any favorite entree you order?

I do like the steak and eggs, the salmon, the flaming tomato soup, and the omelettes. The French toast is pretty good too. The cheesecake is delicious, I usually take it back to the room for later.

For myself it depends on whether I'm feeling like lunch or breakfast. You can do either :-)

Spicy Bloody Mary and I get that chicken thing with egg and tortilla, not sure the name of it, its decent and comes with 3 kinds of mexican sauces.

you can order steak and eggs, though I never have.

dont know why they have to call them heuvevous or whatever is the spanish for eggs, not everyone speaks spanish. I didnt know they were just eggs first couple of times.

They call it Huevos Rancheros because that is the name of the dish - it originated in Mexico on the ranches. Strudel is a German/Austrian dish, Pasta Putinesca an Italian one. We Americans are an international blend and are blessed to have integrated food from all over the world - name and all.

Furthermore, I am not really sure what your issue is as the menu clearly explains the basics of the dish:

"huevos rancheros - Delicious chicken quesadilla, topped with fried eggs, manchego cheese,and mucho más Mexican flavors and other words you wouldn’t understand."

OP-

As others have advised, Carnival doesn't offer a sit down lunch on most cruises. If you are going ashore, you most likely will be off the ship at lunch, so if you wish to eat, you are eating ashore. If you don't eat ashore, and wait until 3 or so to return to the ship, the only things that will be open will be deli, pizza and guys - so expect lines! There is always room service...

If it is a sea day, they have the great brunch menu that is usually available 8 am -1 pm; before 11, they will have breakfast pastries and around 11 am they will switch to popovers - yum!

After 33 Carnival cruises (46 overall), I usually order room service for lunch. It can be a bit of a wait on at-sea days, but I wait until after 1pm to order. I like the firecracker shrimp or a Reuben. An order of fries is just too much, so I go with chips and potato salad. Sometimes I order a piece of chocolate cake or just a plate of cookies for dessert. We bring small cans of soda on board with us so I don't order anything to drink. DH usually eats lunch at the buffet. We haven't had lunch in the dining room for years, but may try it again on our upcoming cruise in Nov. Haven't done the sea day brunch either in a long time because it usually took forever to get our free drinks and the menu was pretty limited.

If you eat a hearty breakfast and don't happen to find food ashore that appeals (or are active with water sports, fishing, etc.), when you return to your cabin, immediately order room service! Start the shower rotation to get everyone ready for dinner and enjoy chocolate cake, cookies, a basic sandwich, cold milk, etc....whatever will "fill the gap." We read this tip years ago and it works spectacularly well for us.

As a self proclaimed germaphobe, I don't like to eat at self service buffet areas especially after seeing so many people do things like coughing into their hands and then reaching into the buffet bowl of cookies...

That being said, I still find plenty of things to eat. It may not be full service, but there are many stations in the buffet area where the crew serves the food to you. Pizza, deli, Guy's Burgers, BBQ, carving station, etc. There's also room service that is free (plus tip) during the day for basic items. There is also a hot food room service menu where you can get things like wings, fries, cheesesteak subs and more for a very reasonable price.

Sent from my iPad using Forums