Carry On vs Checked Luggage

Houston34s

First time cruiser next June. Figured I should start getting these newbie questions out of the way. Pros and cons of carrying on one med rolling duffle or checking one bag. I'm leaning toward the carry on as it would suffice for the trip. I'm curious about the size limit though. All I've seen is it must fit through scanner. Can anyone be more specific as to the measurements of such a duffle?

Each checked suit case and carry-on suit case should not weigh more than 50 pounds, and when lying flat, bags must not exceed 16 inches high by 24 inches wide (the length of the bag is not a factor). For security screening purposes, all luggage should be unlocked.

remember also that you will have to hold onto the luggage until the room is available which is usually 1:30 (unless you have FTTF)

Search Carnival's Q&A for the dimensions or do a search here on the threads - I know I've seen them posted before. The measurements are with luggage laying on the belt, so length (wheel to handle) doesn't matter. It's just the thickness (front to back) & width (side to side). I do know it's bigger than airplane carry on size. We carry on a medium suitcase & backpack each for a 7 day cruise.

My reasons for carrying on are: 1) No worries about luggage being crushed under hundreds of others & damaged. 2) No worries about the small possibility of luggage falling off the bin into the water. 3) No worries about luggage being lost. 4) As soon as I get to my cabin, I can unpack & organize. This way, it is done & I don't have to think about it again.

In the early days, luggage would get to the cabin when it got there. Sometimes well before dinner, but sometimes later. By that time, I'm wanting to explore the ship, see shows, have dinner, etc. I don't want to stop to unpack. I also don't want to unpack at 10 or 11 at night when I'm starting to get tired - after all, it's been a long day.

The downside to carrying all luggage on is if you board before your cabin is ready, you have to keep your luggage with you. We've done it before - it's not the end of the world, but you are kind of stuck just hanging out until about 1:30. We would go grab a bite during that wait time. Now that we are platinum, our cabins are ready, so that's not an issue any more. If you don't feel the need to board early, you can just wait a bit later to go to the port so that your cabin will be ready when you board. We just always get there around lunchtime & grab our first Guy's Burger for lunch.

We drop our luggage with the porters around 9:30 and it is usually at the cabin by 2:00-3:00pm. I have notice those who come late after 2:00 have to carry the lugguage on board and it is hand inspected if it is too large to go through the scanners.

Edited by Purvis1231
typo

I have been carrying on a medium suitcase for the last several years. I have been Platinum for quite awhile so my cabin is ready when I board. If I had to drag it around with me for a couple of hours before being able to get in my cabin, I probably wouldn't carry it on. The elevators can be very busy during embarkation and dragging a suitcase (along with my back pack) would be a little much for me.

The reasons I like to carry on are: 1) on my first cruise, our hanging bag with all of our formal wear was delivered to the wrong cabin & we didn't get it back until the 5th day of a 7 day cruise, and 2) I too like to drop the luggage in cabin, go get something to eat before it gets crazy on the Lido then unpack after lunch.

I will second the idea of getting to the port closer to 1:30 if you'd like to carry on your luggage so that you can drop it off at the cabin as soon as you board.

We always drop off luggage with porters outside the terminal, even for a 3 day cruise. I don’t want to deal with the hassle of carrying luggage from the parking garage to the terminal to the ship. Even though are room is ready right away because we are platinum, it is usually several hours after boarding the ship before we go to our room. The only thing we do a little different now is one of us will go to the room to grab the S&S cards.

Search Carnival's Q&A for the dimensions or do a search here on the threads - I know I've seen them posted before. The measurements are with luggage laying on the belt, so length (wheel to handle) doesn't matter. It's just the thickness (front to back) & width (side to side). I do know it's bigger than airplane carry on size. We carry on a medium suitcase & backpack each for a 7 day cruise.

I posted Carnivals answer to this on the 2nd post. no need to do a search of Carnival or Here at CC

Over the years we have had several pieces of luggage destroyed/damaged getting onto the ship and these days will usually carry it on to avoid this.

Would suggest board about 1 30 or so and take on your luggage.

Hate hearing horror stories where luggage is delivered to the wrong cabin, and idiots just put it under their bed and forget about it.

I roll my 21" carry onto the ship, I have nothing for the porters. My valuables are in a shoulder bag, but now that doesn't matter as I can drive to most Florida ports. I never have to wait for luggage to be delivered, or worry if it got damaged or mis-delivered. I have found someone else's luggage outside my cabin door, and informed my room steward that piece was mis-sent

On Alaskan and Med cruises I'll bring more, but for any length Caribbean cruise my 21" suitcase is sufficient.

I think we have done just about all the ways explained here. As others have stated we have had our share of damaged luggage by rough house porters. I have a video somewhere of potters kicking the smaller bags into the bins.

For the most part wore out the wheels on our carry on luggage from dragging it back and forth to the ships. Now days we have two hard back luggage that we leave the porters . We carry one small roll on bag and two back packs. Not overly stuffed with items and clothing. Works well for us.

The two pieces of hard back luggage have been the best set of luggage to date.

Very durable and can take a beating where as the standard luggage plastic pieces will just break under stress.

I once met a fellow with 8 or so pieces of luggage on a five day cruise. I asked, first cruise and he stated. Yea how did you know :D. Always pack as light as you can, then look in the bag to see if there's anything else you can do without.

I think we have done just about all the ways explained here. As others have stated we have had our share of damaged luggage by rough house porters. I have a video somewhere of potters kicking the smaller bags into the bins.

For the most part wore out the wheels on our carry on luggage from dragging it back and forth to the ships. Now days we have two hard back luggage that we leave the porters . We carry one small roll on bag and two back packs. Not overly stuffed with items and clothing. Works well for us.

The two pieces of hard back luggage have been the best set of luggage to date.

Very durable and can take a beating where as the standard luggage plastic pieces will just break under stress.

I once met a fellow with 8 or so pieces of luggage on a five day cruise. I asked, first cruise and he stated. Yea how did you know :D. Always pack as light as you can, then look in the bag to see if there's anything else you can do without.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the checked/carry-on thing. I'm used to this terminology on planes, but have never cruised before so can someone explain what this is all about? I picture getting off the plane with my carry-on, going and getting my larger luggage and meeting the shuttle to the ship outside. Then entering the ship from the shuttle(not expecting it to be such a long stretch as to ruin our wheels)and having them "check" our stuff and then we go to our rooms? Where am I wrong? And how can you pack lightly for a 7-day cruise? I try to pack light wherever I go but I'm worried about the weather and needing warm and cold clothes.

Crazy4Camping - You don't go directly to the ship. There is a terminal for check-in.

Once off the shuttle you must decide if you will give your larger bags to the porter(s) who will load on ship. The bag(s) will eventually (fingers crossed) make it to your cabin.

If you prefer to keep it with you, you will have to drag/carry it through the terminal and with you onto the ship and then anywhere you go on the ship until your room is ready. Unless you have the privilege of having your room ready early.

OP- Love your screen name. Three of the greats.

If I travel alone I can make due with a backpack for as long as a week (I graduated from the Rick Steves school of packing). Since none of my cruises are alone, we usually take a rolling duffel and a small suitcase. I give them to the porter. It's not worth the hassle of carrying them around and inconveniencing others. I've seen a few people with two or three large bags sitting in crowded places like the Lido buffet, with the crowds forced to maneuver around them. It's crazy enough on embarkation day as it is without turning it into an obstacle course.

We have done it both ways and prefer to carry-on. We have gone to the hard sided 20-22" roller bags and a backpack each. A smart traveler can survive indefinitely (with laundry accessible) on 16 pieces that all coordinate with each other and basic accessories, plus intimates and workout gear...and this suitcase size will certainly hold that comfortably.

The advantages as others have noted is that you have your suitcase when you can access the room. It helps us get into vacation mode to be able to unpack and settle in, long before sail-away. And nothing is ever lost...which happened to my son one cruise where we left the luggage with the porters - when it had not arrived by 8 pm we went to guest services and found it among 30+ others, all of which had lost their room tags. The only downside is having to carry it around if you are not one with early room readiness - but that is only for an hour or two - if you board prior to 1:30. The benefits of carrying on outweigh the costs for us.

Also, getting on an elevator with luggage on embarkation day is problematic ( several pax elevators are in use for luggage delivery only). Depending on your cabin deck vs. the deck of point of entry, you may have many flights of stairs to contend with.

I guess I'm trying to figure out the checked/carry-on thing. I'm used to this terminology on planes, but have never cruised before so can someone explain what this is all about? I picture getting off the plane with my carry-on, going and getting my larger luggage and meeting the shuttle to the ship outside. Then entering the ship from the shuttle(not expecting it to be such a long stretch as to ruin our wheels)and having them "check" our stuff and then we go to our rooms? Where am I wrong? And how can you pack lightly for a 7-day cruise? I try to pack light wherever I go but I'm worried about the weather and needing warm and cold clothes.

Answering the how to pack lightly question. In the past my husband and I used one carry on each and one backpack each for 14 days. Of course, if you're going to Alaska it will be more challenging, but the caribbean is easy.

1) pack things that can be worn more than once without washing or can be easy hand washed and quickly dried in the bathroom. Quick drying fabrics are your friend. For example, a plain shirt that you wear for an hour or two at dinner can be worn another day.

2) pack clothes that coordinate, avoid crazy patterns that won't go with anything else.

3) don't pack too many shoes. Wear your most bulky shoes on embarkation day

4) don't bring excess packaging. Cut off tags and open any new products before packing. Think toothpaste boxes, first aid items, hangers, etc.

There are plenty of other tips on the boards, but these are things that are helpful to me. I still bring a long list of items, but only the amount that I need. You'll get the hang of it over time :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We never do carry on, only checked luggage, and are Platinums. On dembarkation day, we are off the ship quickly, get a porter to take care of our luggage in area 1, go thru the special porter only immigration line with no waiting in line, and the porter takes our luggage right out to Valet where we have our car retrieved for us. Costs a little extra, but not much and oh so worth it.

I like a little service. I always leave my luggage. As a 50 year road warrior I know what kind of luggage works, and recently GPS tracking and audio/video recorders have eliminated "lost" and pilfered items problems.

Leaving the ship is a different story. They want luggage in the hall the night before. That is not conducive to my lifestyle. Even if you have tag 1 or 2 there are delays getting your bag, not to mention the frenzy inside the terminal. I simply wheel my way out to the curb. Fun's over.

Being platinum nowadays...if you purchase FTTF and can carry on....I highly recommend it. Most folks are onboard no later than 1pm. Most bags aren't delivered until 2/3pm...typically just before muster and then sailaway is shortly thereafter.

If you carry on, you can be in your room and unpacked no later than 1pm(FTTF) or 1:30pm (No FTTF). From there you are free to explore the ship with no anxiety wondering if your bag has shown up. Additionally, once muster is complete, you can head straight to your favorite sailaway spot and completely unwind knowing vacation has started!

My .02 anyway.

Edit: Also, carrying on does not mean you have to carry off. The choice is yours and no fees for either..other than tipping the porters

First time cruiser next June. Figured I should start getting these newbie questions out of the way. Pros and cons of carrying on one med rolling duffle or checking one bag. I'm leaning toward the carry on as it would suffice for the trip. I'm curious about the size limit though. All I've seen is it must fit through scanner. Can anyone be more specific as to the measurements of such a duffle?

Why carry it on and have it be in the way till 130.