Coffee Card Price

DnA2010

5 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

It's identical, except if purchased on the ship, one of the crew members will receive credit. If I'm buying one I look for an old friend I've known from previous cruises so he'll get the credit. 

And the cost is?........

16 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Does Princess discount anything if bought pre-cruise?

I know about the 'bonus' internet minutes and the pre-cruise water package...anything else?

Nope, same price onboard or online for virtually everything.  Even internet offers the bonus minutes if you sign up first day onboard (or has for the last several years, including this past spring)

In advance pricing may be a little better than onboard for those dealing with currency conversions (or it may not either)...

Just now, reedprincess said:

In advance pricing may be a little better than onboard for those dealing with currency conversions (or it may not either)...

I noticed for Emerald for our upcoming cruise this Friday that the internet is now offered in levels, not minutes and was $77.99 CAD (reg 79.99 USD) for the highest level for the 4 days.  I did take advantage of pre-buying this one.

22 hours ago, DnA2010 said:

Hi All,

We head out on our first Princess cruise on friday- I was looking at possibly pre-purchasing the coffee card- is it the same price on the ship as pre-buying?

Thanks all!

Since it's your first cruise...a small FYI. The coffee cards used to be good until you used all 15 of the punches (no free brewed on subsequent cruises, just the specialty coffee). With the new system, at the end of the cruise, the card dies. Take a look at how much coffee (specialty & brewed) you expect to drink, consider tasting the coffee in the buffet and the dining rooms (a good replacement for the free brewed if you like the taste), before you decide on the card.
If your cruise is 7 days and you think you'll drink maybe 4 specialty coffees and a few brewed coffees, you'll be wasting your $$ on a coffee card.

On our most recent cruise we had 4 coffee cards in our possession (2 new and 2 partially used - we're Elite and used to trade our mini-bar for the coffee cards). We didn't plan on drinking any specialty coffees (on a diet) and our next cruise isn't until after the final expiration date for the old coffee cards...so we gave them away.

Lucky me, found a virgin coffee card in my pile of cruise paperwork. This is the OLD fashion card, as long as there is one unused "punch" the card was good forever. Couple of years ago they started putting the cruise ship and date on the card so it was to be used only on that cruise. It has now become "electronic" and is a series of x's and 0's on your account. 

IMG_6900.jpg

10 hours ago, voljeep said:

I know about the 'bonus' internet minutes and the pre-cruise water package...anything else?

One thing significantly discounted if you purchase pre cruise is the photo package.  I believe it is about $50 cheaper pre cruise. 

10 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Lucky me, found a virgin coffee card in my pile of cruise paperwork. This is the OLD fashion card, as long as there is one unused "punch" the card was good forever. Couple of years ago they started putting the cruise ship and date on the card so it was to be used only on that cruise. It has now become "electronic" and is a series of x's and 0's on your account. 

IMG_6900.jpg

This might be worth more as a collectors item on eBay than using it on the ship.:classic_rolleyes:

Someone was asking about other pre-cruise discounts.  I have one for Canadians but it does not always apply.

If you happened to have booked your cruise when the fx rate for the cdn dollar was at 1.20 and now that you are cruising the fx rate is 1.35 it is a great idea to buy OBC credit before you leave for your cruise.  Any OBC you purchase is at the 1.20 rate, depending on how large your onboard account gets it can help.

If you wait until you board to get it, your obc will be used to pay for it. Since we almost always have more obc than we spend, we wait until on board to purchase ours.  I believe if you order it ahead of time, you have to pay using a cc just like the bottled water.

14 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

This might be worth more as a collectors item on eBay than using it on the ship.:classic_rolleyes:

Correct, except after August 2019 is is worthless as a coffee card since they will  not be honored after that date. Took a look on eBay, nothing there.

6 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Correct, except after August 2019 is is worthless as a coffee card since they will  not be honored after that date. Took a look on eBay, nothing there.

That's correct but there are some people who just collect old memorabilia and don't really care about using the card.

btw- there are still 5 or so offers on eBay for the coffee cards. After my next cruise I'll be dumping a load of them that will expire next year. 

There’s also a cost savings for those sailing ‘down under’ if you prepurchase onboard credit ahead of your trip.  This is due to the fact a 1% fee is added to your onboard account at the end of your voyage IF you pay using a credit card.

May not be worth it for some but it’s something to consider. There also the conversion rate as ASD is onboard currency there. 

16 hours ago, Akaicb said:

Someone was asking about other pre-cruise discounts.  I have one for Canadians but it does not always apply.

If you happened to have booked your cruise when the fx rate for the cdn dollar was at 1.20 and now that you are cruising the fx rate is 1.35 it is a great idea to buy OBC credit before you leave for your cruise.  Any OBC you purchase is at the 1.20 rate, depending on how large your onboard account gets it can help.

We've used this deal most successfully, especially on  cruises where we don't have OBC or prepaid gratuities.

Ruth

On 10/17/2018 at 2:06 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

Since it's your first cruise...a small FYI. The coffee cards used to be good until you used all 15 of the punches (no free brewed on subsequent cruises, just the specialty coffee). With the new system, at the end of the cruise, the card dies. Take a look at how much coffee (specialty & brewed) you expect to drink, consider tasting the coffee in the buffet and the dining rooms (a good replacement for the free brewed if you like the taste), before you decide on the card.
If your cruise is 7 days and you think you'll drink maybe 4 specialty coffees and a few brewed coffees, you'll be wasting your $$ on a coffee card.

On our most recent cruise we had 4 coffee cards in our possession (2 new and 2 partially used - we're Elite and used to trade our mini-bar for the coffee cards). We didn't plan on drinking any specialty coffees (on a diet) and our next cruise isn't until after the final expiration date for the old coffee cards...so we gave them away.

Yep, one should do the math.  The additional benefit for us is the tea.  It is of very good quality and made with piping hot water and delivers a better drink than the near tepid water in the Horizon Court.  My wife is especially fond of the Mighty Leaf chamomile. I have an unused card and plan to trade in the mini bar for the coffee cards for our upcoming 28 day cruise.

Gifting coffee to other passengers is a nice idea that I first saw here on CC by Thrak. We were able to do that last cruise in January.

I have one with 5 punches left.  We won't be on another Princess cruise until after the September date.  If one of you is headed out soon, I'd be happy to gift it to you.  PM me an address to send it to.  (Has ship name, but no voyage date listed.)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

I have one with 5 punches left.  We won't be on another Princess cruise until after the September date.  If one of you is headed out soon, I'd be happy to gift it to you.  PM me an address to send it to.  (Has ship name, but no voyage date listed.)

CC says I'm permitted "0 messages per day." Sailing in 5 weeks .... is it still available?  Thx! Gayl4bel@Gmail.com

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:44 AM, voljeep said:

This is not a discount in price; rather, it is an increase in price. On our Panama Canal Cruise, we saw the prices of some popular excursions increase in price closer to sailing date to eventually being sold out. If there is a cruise ship sponsored excursion you have your eye on and it seems to be filling up fast, you may want to book it right away precruise.

Happy Cruising!