I thought Dogs weren't allowed?

I, too, love my dogs immensely and I absolutely hate leaving them behind when I cruise, but there is no way I would ever bring one of them on a cruise ship unless I had a serious emotional need to do so.  And, if I did, they would definitely not be allowed to sit on a chair in a public place.  I do hate that it will no longer be allowed, as there are people who sincerely have a need, but because of abuse of policy, now no one can do so. 🙁

• Like 6

21 hours ago, WisconsinFan said:

So, the dog is sitting on a chair, in the Windjammer at a table!!! Lord help me.

what a well mannered dog. I've seen kids and adults behaving much worse than that.

P.S. I want to be on that cruise!

Refuse to be seated anywhere within eyesight of a pet.

Actually, I'd make it a point to sit closer to them. :) And talk to the dog. Who knows - he might be a better conversationalist than some of the irate, nauseated, angry posters who would loudly demand to be reseated.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 6
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Yeah, I'd love to sit in a dog's fecal material while eating my lunch. 

I am going to assume that you don't have dogs, because if you actually had dogs, you'd know that the vast majority of them don't have their butts smeared with fecal matter. The ones that do are usually extremely obese and/or elderly, and the good owners are the ones who wipe their butts.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

According to Royal Caribbean's rules, a service dog sitting on a chair/furniture is not permitted. Fellow passengers need to speak up when they see this. 

Located at: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/service-animals it states that a service animal & it's owner can be removed from the ship at the owners expense for the following:

If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc. 

🐶

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

According to Royal Caribbean's rules, a service dog sitting on a chair/furniture is not permitted. Fellow passengers need to speak up when they see this. 

Located at: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/service-animals it states that a service animal & it's owner can be removed from the ship at the owners expense for the following:

If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to safety, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include: growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc. 

🐶

We encountered the furball in the SL within the first hour of our cruise.  The dog was on the far end of the banquette near the windows with the passenger sitting in her scooter, facing the windows, with her back to the room.  There is no way I would have approached her and there was no way my first interaction with the Concierges was going to be a complaint about another passenger.  Never saw the furball in the SL again and we never sat on the banquette.

• Like 1

I am happy that I am not the only one to take objection to dogs in the eating area. This is my major objective about the animals on board the ship, on my last cruise in August there was a dog in a stroller and it was allowed in the main dining room and I wonder at the sanitary issue. I know that people with animals in some cases view them as children but they are not and there should be a limit to their interaction. I also recently experienced this on the plane and the 11 year old girl called me scary because I told the flight attendant I would not be sitting next to the dog, I have a fear and I have allergies and the mother's response was less than nice to me but it was fine because the flight attendant moved me to another seat and I enjoyed my flight.

• Like 11

Dont even get me started on this and these entitled people!

Here is a service dog!  She pulls me in my wheelchair, she fetches items I need, she picks up stuff I drop, if Im laying in bed she will come lay beside me so I can use her as a prop to raise myself.  These are just a few things she has been trained to do!   No worries though as you wont ever see her on a cruise because I would NEVER subject her to the closed in confinement of a cruise ship!   Not to mention I try to respect my fellow guests who are either allergic or even afraid of big dogs.   Im fortunate to have her but Im also fortunate that I dont NEED her 24/7 and just like having a child, its nice to have a break once in a while!

I know some of you have seen me post this many times over the years but these people that bring their ill mannered and untrained PETS infuriate me!   I wont hesitate to call them out on it either, in a nice manner of course.   

14212031_10207320483145973_7942231037753270581_n.jpg

Edited by ryano
  • Like 54
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Ryano, she's a beauty and you're lucky to have her in your life, assisting you in being more mobile.  She is a true service dog.  The one we saw on Freedom a few years ago sitting in a stroller in a captain's costume while we dined in a specialty restaurant was not a service dog.

Edited by njmomof2
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2018 at 12:26 PM, buffalobob716 said:

I personally have no problem with it, but I thought dogs weren't allowed on the ships anymore? Just took this picture on the Majesty docked in Key West.

20181017_130640.jpg

I think I met this dog and his/her owner last year.  If it's the same elder man, I think he truly needed it.  I think he was a pinnacle, not that that fact should matter.

20 hours ago, John Reid said:

Even certified service dogs are not allowed in chairs or in laps. On a leash on the floor or carried while walking. I made a suggestion once before and got negative feedback. I'll make it again. The ONLY way to stop this entitled charade is to make the reaction to it more of a problem than declining passage to an owner. Stand up in dining and LOUDLY protest. Refuse to be seated anywhere within eyesight of a pet. Get others and flood customer service with the same com[plaint. Schedule an appointment with the hotel director and write down the response for future reference. Remember, the ship may not be able to ask for certification, but passengers can. And there are those, and rightfully so, who feel it would embarrassing to an an actual service dog owner. Don't worry, they are easy to recognize. Not in strollers, not dressed up, not defecating in public places, not barking, not seen alone with different adults, and not being available to be pet. Protest. Be more of a pain to RCCI than they are.

I agree. An example, there was a store where they wanted you to line to show receipt (not a warehouse club bc I KNOW it's required there) i kept going around and exiting without lining up. ONCE this employee grabbed me by the arm.... I screamed out " ouch your hurting me"  ( was totally fine) (was just making a point about, hands to yourself) SAME store then blocked ALL the front exit doors but ONE, funneling everyone in to a line .... I called the fire Marshall , after exiting store. Needless to say the bolted down benches were removed by my next visit. 

So until all the grandfathered-in BS emotional support animals are gone. Our reactions to offensive behavior, should be proportional 😉

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am going to assume that you don't have dogs, because if you actually had dogs, you'd know that the vast majority of them don't have their butts smeared with fecal matter. The ones that do are usually extremely obese and/or elderly, and the good owners are the ones who wipe their butts.

Their butts are clean because they lick them and/or rub them on the carpet (or WJ chair).   Was on Adventure in Sept and 2 officers were guarding a pile of poop by the elevator door waiting for a crewman to pick it up.  Dogs (any animal for that matter) should not be allowed on a ship, plane, etc.

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, mitz18 said:

Their butts are clean because they lick them and/or rub them on the carpet (or WJ chair).   Was on Adventure in Sept and 2 officers were guarding a pile of poop by the elevator door waiting for a crewman to pick it up.  Dogs (any animal for that matter) should not be allowed on a ship, plane, etc. 

I know someone posted a list of dog germs that can transfer to humans, but it is very rare.  I think you have a better chance of getting sick from a passenger that does not wash hands or eats with fingers and handles the buffet serving tools. 

I do agree that they need to find a way to identify real service dogs and not allow the fakes where dogs are not permitted.  Personally  we would not take  our dog on a cruise because would not want her left in the room all alone.  However we travel with our dog all the time (car and airplanes) and take her to restaurants where allowed.  We don't take her where not allowed.  She has never had a accident .

Also, our last dog loved swimming in the pool and the ocean.  But he got out of the water to relieve himself.  More than I can say for too many people.

• Like 1

I don't think dogs should be on the ship because their owners tend to be negligent about cleaning up after them when they have an accident, which they do a lot since their owners also tend to not take them to the little fake grass pad.

But I also think that we should be careful how hysterical we get in our protests. A dog in an eating area is not unsafe. Many of us have pets, and those pets hang out in our kitchens and dining areas all the time, and we somehow manage not to die. A dog in a dining room is not going to harm you from a food safety standpoint. Frankly, you're more likely to get sick because Melvin the Moron chose not to wash his hands after using the bathroom.

A city near where I live was talking about putting a community garden into a neighborhood park. The neighbors didn't want it there for whatever reason, and they came up with the most ridiculous reasons why it shouldn't be installed. My favorite was that the garden would attract crime, and kids playing in the park would get raped. Because of their ridiculous overreaction and, frankly, ludicrous predictions of doom, they not only lost out on the garden, but they also lost the sponsorship of the local nursery which had been filling the park with annuals for free every year, and to this day, years later, people still talk about how the neighborhood is full of idiots over the incident.

It's best to stick to actual facts when pointing out the problems with something. Dogs may not be properly trained and might snap at people, especially in a crowded dining area. They might cause people to trip. They might get into things they're not supposed to get into.

They will not make you sick, and they will not get poop on your pants if you sit in a chair they were sitting in.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Yep... I wipe my 15 year old Labs butt... it's a non issue.

1 hour ago, Eslader said:

I don't think dogs should be on the ship because their owners tend to be negligent about cleaning up after them when they have an accident, which they do a lot since their owners also tend to not take them to the little fake grass pad.

But I also think that we should be careful how hysterical we get in our protests. A dog in an eating area is not unsafe. Many of us have pets, and those pets hang out in our kitchens and dining areas all the time, and we somehow manage not to die. A dog in a dining room is not going to harm you from a food safety standpoint. Frankly, you're more likely to get sick because Melvin the Moron chose not to wash his hands after using the bathroom.

A city near where I live was talking about putting a community garden into a neighborhood park. The neighbors didn't want it there for whatever reason, and they came up with the most ridiculous reasons why it shouldn't be installed. My favorite was that the garden would attract crime, and kids playing in the park would get raped. Because of their ridiculous overreaction and, frankly, ludicrous predictions of doom, they not only lost out on the garden, but they also lost the sponsorship of the local nursery which had been filling the park with annuals for free every year, and to this day, years later, people still talk about how the neighborhood is full of idiots over the incident.

It's best to stick to actual facts when pointing out the problems with something. Dogs may not be properly trained and might snap at people, especially in a crowded dining area. They might cause people to trip. They might get into things they're not supposed to get into.

They will not make you sick, and they will not get poop on your pants if you sit in a chair they were sitting in.

You had to go be reasonable about something. Careful - might break these boards.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Good owners are the ones who leave their pets at home.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1