How Could You DO THIS?

1 hour ago, broberts said:

There is no such thing as "intuition" in the general sense. Intuition is educated by an individual's life experience and education. Personally I find the new site quite intuitive. But that is because I have experience with other forums that have the same base design.

I'm glad there are many like you who are willing to invest the time and cope with the frustration of learning a new paradigm. I sure hope there will come a time when you start enjoying this new site.

Search is not working at the moment. Personally I don't understand how it can take more than a week to generate the indexes, but apparently it does. 

Well, according to Jenn, it takes a long time to index over 15 million posts.  And I believe they're also working on making sure all those old posts (with old codes for photos and other links) still show the correct photos/links.

9 hours ago, broberts said:

There is no such thing as "intuition" in the general sense. Intuition is educated by an individual's life experience and education. Personally I find the new site quite intuitive. But that is because I have experience with other forums that have the same base design.

I'm glad there are many like you who are willing to invest the time and cope with the frustration of learning a new paradigm. I sure hope there will come a time when you start enjoying this new site.

All of the angst at the moment is very reminiscent of the wailing and gnashing of teeth when CC moved to vBulletin from a previous software supplier. Yet now the vBulletin software is fondly remembered by some as "better". 😄

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paul from Maryland said:

Good deal.  Activity Streams should be easier...they can be a bit tricky.

Thank you for this info on the Activity Streams. I had no idea, and was wasting time poking around the site like everybody else. 

I now have made  two streams - one for my all upcoming roll calls, and one for the 4 cruise lines that I normally follow. No need to scroll through everything else, unless I want to. 

I still am in the camp of it being unattractive and cumbersome - who decided that I want to be bombarded with irrelevant, tacky, fuzzy pictures of strangers, their pets, their feet on beach chairs, the ocean, the list goes on and on.

I really am not that nosy - I come here for info, not voyeurism 

Mods - PLEASE have IT give us the option to turn off the tacky avatars, just like we can hide the signatures. I must say, there is the option to compress on the activity streams, which is better, but not a complete fix. 

14 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Well, according to Jenn, it takes a long time to index over 15 million posts.  And I believe they're also working on making sure all those old posts (with old codes for photos and other links) still show the correct photos/links.

Why would they index old posts that are outdated and full of useless information?

54 minutes ago, Half Pint said:

Why would they index old posts that are outdated and full of useless information?

Don't you find an entire forum dedicated to people who sailed on Carnival Legend in 2012 intriguing?

Or one for Emerald Princess' transatlantic journey in 2008?  They honestly have forums for those things.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, CRZAHOLIC said:

I totally agree.  I have been on over 25 cruises so I have spent a lot of time on CC.  I can't figure out how the search works.  I either get nothing found or I get things that are totally unrelated.  I am leaving CC and going to Tripadvisr.

Already tried that and guess where it sent me?? right back here.

20 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

The app is no longer supported.  The new forum is mobile friendly.  You access it via the browser on your phone.

Signature requirements:

• Maximum of 1 image
  •  Images up to 150 x 175 pixels
  •  Maximum of 3 URLs
  •  Maximum of 6 lines

:For those of us who have longer signatures, we are grandfathered.  If you want to change your signature you will now be restricted by the new requirements.

Countdown clocks are not supported by the new forum.

A line is a line is a line.  Whatever fits onto a line before it returns to start the next line.

That is what I totally don't like anymore.  Went to update my signature and had to cut out all of my countdown clocks.  Also do not like that EVERYTHING is blue!  Used to be if you read a post, it showed in a different color.  I have tried to figure out how to change that, and cannot.  Today I went to look at one of my M&M roll calls, and it is GONE!  Where did it go to, it was there yesterday???

21 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

I thought someone said 50 million. 😱

On 10/21/2018 at 11:12 AM, Paul from Maryland said:

I'm in the group that likes this new software.  To me, the secret is Activity Streams.  They're a bit tricky to set up, but once set up it's a nice improvement over the old system.  

I use one Activity Stream to follow the four cruise lines I've cruised on.  I use another for finding content by one specific user that I like to follow.  I have one that finds my postings.  Note...the last two aren't working quite right yet...the web site indexing is still on going.  I'm hopeful they'll work fine when the indexing is done.

I'm going to start using Activity Streams for following the "Live From" threads.  I had been using Manage Followed Content, but it has a few shortcomings.  Activity Streams will work better.

Here's an example of my main Activity Stream.  If you read the line under "Paul's Activity Stream" you see that this one window lists posts in Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian and Princess forums -- since my last visit.

The trick to getting an Activity Stream to work for you is setting the seven options correctly.  Show me, Content type, Read status, Ownership, Following, Time period and Sorting.  See below:

4948482_ScreenShot2018-10-21at11_09_26AM.thumb.jpg.4a35bf9a6b2032c69775259be4f78752.jpg

How do you search on a members posts?  That's fascinating

35 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not to steal the thunder from "Paul from Maryland", but we have been working together a bit on this functionality today. There is an "Ownership" section when creating an activity stream which allows you to limit the search to a specific member. Here is a screen shot of what that looks like with my member name entered in the "Authors" field.

213133050_ActivityStreamOwnership.jpg.13da3370dac530358382d450470482a2.jpg

It's quite ironic that we've encountered an issue with member names containing the "&" symbol. So as it stands, we can't create an activity stream to look for your posts.

See this thread for further details. I even used your member name as an example within this thread to illustrate the problem.

Edited by bluemarble

38 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

bluemarble is right, you can create an Activity Stream to do many things...one is to search for posts by a specific member.  

Activity Streams can be a bit tricky to set up...there are seven or eight options to set.  

I'm using Activity Streams to consolidate the posts from the four cruise lines I follow in to one window.  Also using them to follow the posts of one specific member (a Cruise Critic member that I find interesting).  

Activity Streams are, in my view, the best feature of this new software.  Give it a try...many of us are learning and experimenting and will be around to answer any questions you might have.

I just returned (traveling) to CC the new site wasn't up yet when I left and now I come back to THIS !!!!! I'm COMPLETELY LOST on this new IMPROVED ????? version !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, bluemarble said:

Not to steal the thunder from "Paul from Maryland", but we have been working together a bit on this functionality today. There is an "Ownership" section when creating an activity stream which allows you to limit the search to a specific member. Here is a screen shot of what that looks like with my member name entered in the "Authors" field.

It's quite ironic that we've encountered an issue with member names containing the "&" symbol. So as it stands, we can't create an activity stream to look for your posts.

See this thread for further details. I even used your member name as an example within this thread to illustrate the problem.

Cool.

Ampersand gets me all the time.  I wonder if LaLa is unique enough

Edited by John&LaLa

1 hour ago, Ashland said:

I just returned (traveling) to CC the new site wasn't up yet when I left and now I come back to THIS !!!!! I'm COMPLETELY LOST on this new IMPROVED ????? version !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It takes getting used to.  But lots of good stuff available if you take the time to learn

Just now, John&LaLa said:

It takes getting used to.  But lots of good stuff available if you take the time to learn

Another subject off topic but I'm so lost right now ...Sorry...I am now getting emails when someone responds to my posts...this never happened before...how do I change this....I certainly don't want my personal email clogged up with CC responses.

Thanks for some much needed help !!

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Another subject off topic but I'm so lost right now ...Sorry...I am now getting emails when someone responds to my posts...this never happened before...how do I change this....I certainly don't want my personal email clogged up with CC responses.

When you post something, make sure notifications are turned off.  Are you on a phone or a laptop

The Forums Assistance section on the main boards is a great place to find info and chat with like minded folks

Edited by John&LaLa

1 minute ago, Ashland said:

I answered in the other forum.

• Thanks 1