Ruby New Cabin Door Locks

cruzsnooze

48 minutes ago, mthomp5 said:

Someone posted pics in another thread of their homemade mailbox.  There were a couple of pics from different people actually. One hung it using magnetic hooks on their door.  I thought it was a great idea.   

I made this for our month on the Caribbean Princess where mailboxes have been replaced with Medallion screens.

IMG_1675.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, idahospud said:

I made this for our month on the Caribbean Princess where mailboxes have been replaced with Medallion screens.

IMG_1675.JPG

Yes!  Thanks Deb!  This is the very first one I saw.  So cute.  More arts and crafts than my abilities 😁.  So I’m going to have to resort to a plastic folder. But it’s an awesome idea!  Thank you for sharing. 

5 hours ago, idahospud said:

IMG_1675.JPG

As a patchworker myself I love this creation but are wondering how you attached it to the wall outside your door.

Did you sew on a rod pocket? And if so what did you hang the rod on?

I'm interested as I would like to sew one for our ship mail when I finally sail on a ship with OM.

4 hours ago, sewgood said:

As a patchworker myself I love this creation but are wondering how you attached it to the wall outside your door.

Did you sew on a rod pocket? And if so what did you hang the rod on?

I'm interested as I would like to sew one for our ship mail when I finally sail on a ship with OM.

I used two strips of magnets. I have the free pattern on Craftsy but don't think I can't link it here. 

8 hours ago, idahospud said:

I used two strips of magnets. I have the free pattern on Craftsy but don't think I can't link it here. 

Genius the use of magnets.

I am a Craftsy member so I will go and check it out.

Thanks for getting back to me with the information.

22 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Hate to point out pax have already reported initial cruises had Princess issuing both OM and cruise card. There was a posting where door would not unlock door, so pax used card to unlock. Not positive but original door latch and lock still in place. The OM is installed on the jam side of the frame.

Our door lock had been replaced so you cannot use the cruise card on the door. The Black credit card sized seapass card worked on the Om screen. 

I ordered a 10 pack of RFID sleeves on ebay this morning for a whopping 76 cents from China.  I also bought a RFID metal wallet at the 99 cent store.  I will also look to keep my phone in one too although I don't get spammed with flyers to go to the spa, the art auction, the 10 dollar sales, the other intrusive nickel and dime crap the cruise line inundates us with. 

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

Our door lock had been replaced so you cannot use the cruise card on the door. The Black credit card sized seapass card worked on the Om screen. 

I ordered a 10 pack of RFID sleeves on ebay this morning for a whopping 76 cents from China.  I also bought a RFID metal wallet at the 99 cent store.  I will also look to keep my phone in one too although I don't get spammed with flyers to go to the spa, the art auction, the 10 dollar sales, the other intrusive nickel and dime crap the cruise line inundates us with. 

I personally do not want to carry my Iphone around on the ship.  Plus I have an inner ear disorder that effects my vision when reading.  I't much easier for me to read paper.  Is this the direction things are going or do they still print paper for those of us who prefer it?

30 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

I personally do not want to carry my Iphone around on the ship.  Plus I have an inner ear disorder that effects my vision when reading.  I't much easier for me to read paper.  Is this the direction things are going or do they still print paper for those of us who prefer it?

We were not switched over to the Medallion, just the locks were changed so it remains to be seen if they discontinue all the paper. Since they removed the mailbox it suggests they won't be delivering many papers. I also will not carry a phone, it gets locked in the safe when on vacation. I will check my email daily as I always do and the gentleman who works in the internet cafe told me they are doing something to make the internet faster.  That will be very beneficial since the 150 minutes I usually get don't last very long due to the slow speed right now. 

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, Doughboy said:

We got off Ruby on the 18th.  I agree, the food was horrible at best. We did like the lobster mac and cheese, beef medallions and the omelets at breakfast.  I'm sure we didn't gain weight on our cruise!

Where did you find the lobster mac & cheese?

On 10/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, california and cruising said:

We never received any other papers informing us of anything other than the nightly newsletter for the next day.

Not sure what was up on this sailing.

Did you get the constant onslaught of flyers for art auctions and jewelry sales? I'd sure hate to miss out on those. :classic_dry:

On 10/23/2018 at 8:28 PM, cruzsnooze said:

My cell phone is off and in the safe while on the cruise. I don't want to be tracked like a puppy with a chip. I don't need to have Princess send me all their advertising. I don't need to have anyone know where I am every second, I prefer privacy which is lost today.  I keep my cell phone off at home too and don't answer it if it's on while home either, I prefer the clarity of the land line connection. Some people are techie's but that's not me, and isn't it wonderful we're all different.

I totally agree with you. 

Tony

I used to turn my phone off and stick it in the safe but I no longer do that. I like being able to make my list from the Patter to remind me of what I want to do and where/when it is. Messaging is something one has to check as there is no notification but it has proved useful when checking with my wife. One just has to remember to check. I also like being able to spot check my folio on the phone so I know if I'm charged for a drink I didn't order, etc. I can keep track of how much OBC I have left. (That's usually not an issue but we have had a couple of cruises with much more OBC than we are used to and I liked seeing how much was left.)

I wouldn't miss the ton of extra paper we get that is of no value to us but I can't see Princess kicking their habit of advertising the spa and the art auctions endlessly. As for the PES notice we've normally found that already in the cabin when we board.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

I used to turn my phone off and stick it in the safe but I no longer do that. I like being able to make my list from the Patter to remind me of what I want to do and where/when it is. Messaging is something one has to check as there is no notification but it has proved useful when checking with my wife. One just has to remember to check. I also like being able to spot check my folio on the phone so I know if I'm charged for a drink I didn't order, etc. I can keep track of how much OBC I have left. (That's usually not an issue but we have had a couple of cruises with much more OBC than we are used to and I liked seeing how much was left.)

When I checked my email in the internet cafe (after I log out so I stop using minutes) I  checked my folio to see my account. They also have a printer next to guest services for printing a copy of your account.

10 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

When I checked my email in the internet cafe (after I log out so I stop using minutes) I  checked my folio to see my account. They also have a printer next to guest services for printing a copy of your account.

Checking in the Internet Cafe would work for most. However, I once had a BOGO coupon for Skywalker's. It wasn't the regular BOGO but, instead, was a coupon for BOGO from 10 - 11. (The regular BOGO was 11 - 12). I bought the drink and asked for a double bourbon - straight up - with both shots in a single glass. They poured the drink and I immediately checked my folio on my phone. They had charged for both drinks. Because I had my phone and checked immediately I was able to get it fixed right there and then.

Note: I ordered that double on the coupon at 11:55 PM. I kind of held it and had a small sip and then, once it clicked over to midnight, I got another double under the normal BOGO they were having. Again, I had both drinks - straight up - put into a single glass. I poured both doubles into one glass, took it to my cabin, and went to bed. I don't need 4 shots of bourbon at midnight! I set the drink on the counter in my cabin and it was there the next day. The point is, of course, that being able to check ones folio at any time is helpful.

7 hours ago, victory2020 said:

Where did you find the lobster mac & cheese?

I have seen it on the dining room menu one evening in the "homestyle" category. On some other nights meatloaf or chicken pot pie might show up in this category.

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

. The point is, of course, that being able to check ones folio at any time is helpful.

Instant everything is becoming the norm. People are so addicted to their phones they can't drive without talking or texting.  We just have different means of unwinding and mine is to leave tech behind when cruising. I carry the patter sometimes and that works for me. I think you're in the majority and that's why everything is going digital.

I'm on back to back cruises starting 11/17. Maybe after two weeks I'll have figured out all the changes. I hate hearing about all the food quality issues though have always thought Horizon court was generic at best. 

We rarely eat it the dining room prefer Crown grill and will be trying Share for the first time.

Really enjoyed everyone's comments.

13 minutes ago, Bourbon Believer said:

I'm on back to back cruises starting 11/17. Maybe after two weeks I'll have figured out all the changes. I hate hearing about all the food quality issues though have always thought Horizon court was generic at best. 

We rarely eat it the dining room prefer Crown grill and will be trying Share for the first time.

Really enjoyed everyone's comments.

I hope you'll report back when you're home about your experience. 

3 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

Instant everything is becoming the norm. People are so addicted to their phones they can't drive without talking or texting.  We just have different means of unwinding and mine is to leave tech behind when cruising. I carry the patter sometimes and that works for me. I think you're in the majority and that's why everything is going digital.

And yet I don't have a FB account or any other social media accounts. The only "social media" type of thing I do is Cruise Critic. I use my phone for my calendar and a few things like that but I mostly don't use it much at all. Being able to list what I want to do onboard is convenient and I don't end up carrying the Patter around. Oh, I do use my phone for my ongoing battles of Words with Friends that I play against my wife. 🙂 (Of course that doesn't happen on a cruise.)

On 10/24/2018 at 6:07 PM, jlp20 said:

Hate to point out pax have already reported initial cruises had Princess issuing both OM and cruise card. There was a posting where door would not unlock door, so pax used card to unlock. Not positive but original door latch and lock still in place. The OM is installed on the jam side of the frame.

Just off the Caribbean Princess and OM was fully operational and passengers were given both OM and cruise card and they both could be used everywhere...nice when you approach your door and it shows your picture and unlocks it.... love the new OM program because the internet is so much faster....seemed like most passengers we talked to liked the change...

On 10/22/2018 at 4:30 PM, california and cruising said:

We just got off today. I concur, the food is really pretty bad in the main dining room. The breakfasts were not too great either. The buffet lunches were horrible, except for the salad and then there were no tomatoes, cucumbers, not a whole lot of choices. 

We never received any other papers informing us of anything other than the nightly newsletter for the next day.

Not sure what was up on this sailing.

We were on the Ruby Princess in September & the food in the Main Dining Room was a bit disappointing. 

We love Princess Cruise Line & have always had nothing but great food in the Main Dining Room.  Hopefully, this little stretch is just a hiccup & it will be resolved.