Newbie Live review: Liberty of the Seas Oct 28th Western Caribbean

All in all a good day.  Food in the main dining room was good.  We have MTD and service was very good.  Our reservation was for 7. We showed up right at 7 and waited for less than 90 seconds.  

DW had the salmon I had the prime rib.  The only complaint I had was the dessert.  I had the creme brûlée’ and it was disappointing.  I’ll probably try it again, because I’m a huge Creme Brûlée fan, and hope for the best. 7C5916DB-E6F0-45A6-A452-420E429E7F4A.thumb.jpeg.b62d34046c0a39119d3972ca247c5c38.jpeg

We wandered the ship for a bit but ended up crashing a little early tonight.  It was just an exhausting but satisfying day. Tomorrow will be a  full sea day and the CC “Meet and mingle” is tomorrow at 10.  I’m looking forward to meeting some shipmates.

Edited by Tree_skier

3 hours ago, LuCruise said:

Great review so far.  Promenade looks beautiful.  That's a really nice size balcony (and multiple chairs)!  Can see the advantage of an aft balcony.

I’m definitely sold on the aft balcony. I’ve already spent some unforgettable time out there. It will be hard to go back to anything else.

Gooooooood mooooooooorning... middle of nowhere. 

B6232833-FEF4-4B12-B1C9-A1565B41E5FC.thumb.jpeg.dd8e6ec7fd6ba08d189300acb0acc592.jpeg

First seaday today.  This old bugger is going to defy conventional wisdom and common sense and is determined to hit the water slides and flowrider today. But first shower and breakfast in the MDR. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suesnake2002 said:

So glad positive reviews for aft balcony

One of the nice things about the “obstructed view” is that it provides shade at different times. At worst, you can push the recliner to the back and,  unless your steaming directly away from a rising or setting sun, you’ve got shade. There is no problem with soot like a few reviews I read said. .

So the MDR had a massive line so we changed our mind went up to Windjammer and got a seat at the window right away. Made to order omelette tasted great!  Then it was water slide time. As any good Texan will tell you a good story always begins with the phrase “Hey Bubba... watch this...”  First was the water slide they call “The Perfect Storm”. I’m not sure I was the only out of shape 50 something riding this morning but I suspect so. As I stood there in line with a few girls who ranged in age between 9 and 12 I really did question my sanity. Sorry no pics though. I tried to take my phone so I could take a shot half down but they wouldnt let me. Next I convinced DW to ride “The Tidal Wave”. Lots of fun...  

I made a few attempts on Flowrider with very limited success LOL. But no one will accuse me of being a coward. Maybe tomorrow I’ll do better. I’m going to keep trying until I get it. My wife has video. Maybe I can post that later and give you a all a good laugh. 

Lunch was MDR. 

E92E7A9C-EB53-4DA8-89B3-1665EE7B50D6.thumb.jpeg.9da23520d8663c76414108fe65b1287f.jpeg

After lunch we went to the ice show Encore. It’s loosely based upon stage productions from around the world. Everything from Kabuki theatre to Elvis in Las Vegas. This is a fabulous show. I can’t rave about it enough. It ended with a standing ovation from the crowd. It was justified too. They were much more talented than I anticipated. I’m going see it a second time at some point this week, I enjoyed it so much. The rest of the afternoon is going to be spent relaxing, enjoying a few drinks before getting ready for our fist formal night.  

BEBA9EEC-03EE-423A-931F-13C426F26168.jpeg

62049AC8-7102-4D8B-B2DA-9D782440D7C6.jpeg

9BED5D6F-3B25-4F9A-8115-FF8D4D5B32DD.jpeg

C1210C92-944E-4472-991E-2410FD12D058.jpeg

11425CCC-0E49-4D09-8313-7FA7FE0AC226.jpeg

5A1A6323-9E49-46F9-8B1E-5E2417C2AB3C.jpeg

No

21 minutes ago, Keri's Cruisin' said:

Loving your review, just wondering if you are in 9632 as I am sailing in that cabin on the Navigator in May.  LOVE the size of that balcony for sure!  Thanks. Great pictures!

No we’re in 1704. I don’t see a 9632 on Navigator deck plan. If you mean 9692 I suspect it will be a near mirror image of 1704. Just one deck lower. 

Just now, Tree_skier said:

No

No we’re in 1704. I don’t see a 9632 on Navigator deck plan. If you mean 9692 I suspect it will be a near mirror image of 1704. Just one deck lower. 

LOL...I just checked my reservation, and it's actually 9392.  I am really looking forward to my 1st Aft balcony! Appreciate your photos!  Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Yesterday evening started with a few formal pictures around the ship before heading to the MDR for dinner.  Dinner was good.  I had the Cod and DW had the chicken. I tried the Creme Brûlée again but unfortunately it was worse the second night. That is definitely off the list! After dinner we roamed the ship with drink in hand.  I listened to a country act on the Star lounge for a little bit but left fairly quickly.  I got down to Bolero’s and watched the karaoke for a little while.  Karaoke is always entertaining! Most were pretty terrible but it was fun.

Today will be more of the same as yesterday.  I’m thinking about skating and maybe another go on Flowrider but first breakfast...  see you later

Edited by Tree_skier

We have a corner aft balcony on our Freedom sailing in May, and your review has made me more excited. I was considering staying on balcony for sailaway, but leaning against it. You may have swayed me!

What is it about the creme brulee that you are finding less than ideal?  I also love creme brulee and would be so disappointed if I didn't care for it. 

19 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Then it was water slide time. As any good Texan will tell you a good story always begins with the phrase “Hey Bubba... watch this...”  First was the water slide they call “The Perfect Storm”. I’m not sure I was the only out of shape 50 something riding this morning but I suspect so. As I stood there in line with a few girls who ranged in age between 9 and 12 I really did question my sanity. Sorry no pics though. I tried to take my phone so I could take a shot half down but they wouldnt let me. Next I convinced DW to ride “The Tidal Wave”. Lots of fun...  

Loving your review so far.  DW, DD and I board the Liberty on Nov 4th (right after you get off) so this review comes at a perfect time to build our pre-cruise excitement!

Question about the Perfect Storm water slide: As I'm also a slightly out-of-shape 50's something willing to embarrass myself in front of pre-teens, how challenging was the slide? I had read reviews that it was too slow and people get stuck inside.

51 minutes ago, EeyoreRN said:

What is it about the creme brulee that you are finding less than ideal?  I also love creme brulee and would be so disappointed if I didn't care for it. 

I'm curious as well. Creme-brulee is one of my "go to" desserts

Thanks for sharing! Love this "newbie" review. Tell me you sang a little karaoke yourself though! Curious what is off on the creme brulee as well. One of my favorite desserts. I'm both looking forward to and apprehensive about trying it now. 

I am a creme brulee fan too. I had it twice last year on our cruise on Serenade. The first time it was delicious and absolutely perfect. Just the right consistency and temperature. The second time it was very disappointing. Cold and rubbery, as if it had been made a day or two before.