Pinnacle Grill experience declining?

DaveOKC

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

Okay, this is weird. 

Everything you post and abandon is saved as a cookie. It then auto populates the post box. 

In theory, it should be helpful. In practice, not so much. I now get a drop down with 15+ subject lines when I start a thread on the HAL board. 

A little off topic but I bet someone on this thread will know the answer.

On our Noordam Alaska cruise next year we just received a Explore 4 Upgrade and now have a free PG dinner for two. However, our 10 year old grandson, who will eat almost anything, is with us. Since the free X4 PG dinner day and time is preset by HA before we leave, how hard will it be to add him to our reservation?  I know we will have to pay for his dinner. He loves shrimp and wont care if they are too big or a little rubbery. BTW we had not planned on eating in the PG until we received the X4 promo, we didn't think the PG was worth the $105 cost for the three of us.

7 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

A little off topic but I bet someone on this thread will know the answer.

On our Noordam Alaska cruise next year we just received a Explore 4 Upgrade and now have a free PG dinner for two. However, our 10 year old grandson, who will eat almost anything, is with us. Since the free X4 PG dinner day and time is preset by HA before we leave, how hard will it be to add him to our reservation?  I know we will have to pay for his dinner. He loves shrimp and wont care if they are too big or a little rubbery. BTW we had not planned on eating in the PG until we received the X4 promo, we didn't think the PG was worth the $105 cost for the three of us.

Just stop by (or phone) the Pinnacle Grill when you board and they will sort it all out for you.  Have a wonderful cruise!

8 hours ago, POA1 said:

Everything you post and abandon is saved as a cookie. It then auto populates the post box. 

In theory, it should be helpful. In practice, not so much. I now get a drop down with 15+ subject lines when I start a thread on the HAL board. 

Except I hadn’t abandoned it.  But the site was doing weird things yesterday morning so I must have posted when that happened.  The 15+ subject lines would be annoying.

3 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Just stop by (or phone) the Pinnacle Grill when you board and they will sort it all out for you.  Have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks, I thought that would be the case. We will have a great time on this cruise our GS is so excited about going to Alaska with us, it is all he talks about when we see him. 

• Like 1

On 10/27/2018 at 7:26 AM, DaveOKC said:

We dine at least once per cruise at the Pinnacle Grill (at least 20 times now) and recently it seems like the experience has declined (at least for dinner).  

What have others experienced recently??  

No complaints here. Have dined in the PG for lunch and dinner most recently on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam.  Service, food and ambiance were top notch.  

• Like 2

On 11/2/2018 at 7:42 PM, Sea girl 23 said:

That boil in the bag style of cooking is far from inelegant..Sous Vide,as it is known,is used in some of the best restaraunts in the world.

I the issue was the presentation at the table rather than the cooking process.  I would not like it if my food was served in a plastic bag.

igraf

Just off the Zuiderdam on Wednesday and had two dinners in the Pinnacle, both were delicious. Steaks done perfectly and tender on the first visit and Halibut and Lamb Chops excellent on the second. Oh and my baked potato, fluffy and tender. Was very happy with our meals and service. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 9:28 AM, BJzink said:

I had several dinners and lunches in the PG on my EXC Kon Tiki cruise in Sept/Oct.  I felt that the Maitr'd was excellent - much more attentive than on my previous HAL cruises.  He wasn't above helping to clear & set-up tables, and visited with each table at least once per sitting.  The seafood soup is excellent, but the first time I had it on this cruise in was in a regular wide bowl; the next time they brought it in a plastic bag, which was placed into the bowl & then the top was  cut off.  Rather strange, I thought.  Perhaps serving in a shallow bowl is a problem when the ship is moving more than usual.  

we have never had your negative experience, but then, we tend to find the positive in everything. have never ever had a bad experience here. may your next journey be more to your liking. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

we have never had your negative experience, but then, we tend to find the positive in everything. have never ever had a bad experience here. may your next journey be more to your liking. 

👍👍👍  Spot on!!!  Thanks for your upbeat Post, tuolumne couple.

14 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

Positive can sometimes mean wearing blinders.  And as the Titanic was sinking into the sea, one gentleman turned to his friend and said, "the orchestra sounds fine this evening" (as they played Nearer my God to Thee).  Just saying!

Hank

• Like 2

10 hours ago, tuolumne couple said:

Thanks Avian777! You seem like you would be an amazing passenger to travel with!

“There is no way to happiness- happiness is the way.” — Thich Nhat Hanh

👍👍👍  Thank you, tuolumne couple, for your kind comments and the very insightful quote from Thich Nhat Hanh.  May all your travels be with people who share your sense of happiness!  :classic_smile:

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 7:00 PM, Av8rix said:

Well, as I've posted before....the strawberry pavlova is my absolute favorite!! 

I had the strawberry pavlova in the PG on the Nieuw Amsterdam and, while it was yummy, it was a hard baked crunchy meringue affair, like my MIL's "forgotten cookies" recipe.  Is this normal?

• Thanks 1

We just returned from the Zuiderdam on Nov. 4th, and we ate dinner in the PG three times - it was that wonderful!  We thought the food was much better than MDR by far.  We had nothing but excellent service, delicious steaks and lamb cooked to perfection, and great French press coffee made at our table at the end of our meal.  We were seated in the private back room of the restaurant, in a cozy booth, which may have contributed to the great ambiance.  Our server was fantastic and because so, we requested the same table all 3 nights.  We had visits from the Maitr'd and the Master Sommelier several times.  I never noticed any passenger dressed other than dressy.  Each of the 3 nights was a fantastic experience for us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Walfam said:

I had the strawberry pavlova in the PG on the Nieuw Amsterdam and, while it was yummy, it was a hard baked crunchy meringue affair, like my MIL's "forgotten cookies" recipe.  Is this normal?

Yes

• 2 months later...

Just wondering...can I order crab legs and a steak or is it extra for the steak ..or are there plenty of crab legs so I don’t need a steak too...going to have the husband order the fish and shrimp combo and thought that way we would sample everything we like... thank you

15 minutes ago, Chickadee910 said:

Just wondering...can I order crab legs and a steak or is it extra for the steak ..or are there plenty of crab legs so I don’t need a steak too...going to have the husband order the fish and shrimp combo and thought that way we would sample everything we like... thank you

I don't know if you can order both, but it doesn't hurt to ask!  We dined in the Pinnacle twice on the Eurodam last November as a 5* perk and unfortunately each experience was not good.  I had crab legs and would never order them again!  They were cold, tough and fishy tasting (in a bad way.)  Crab cakes were always good as was the lemon tart.

Karen