Pinnacle Grill experience declining?

DaveOKC

14 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

Very likely.  She was conferring with the assistant Maitre d's a lot, the Pinnacle and Canaletto Managers.   Didn't see her talking to any wine stewards or Chefs (who were also quite noticeable in the Lido).  The new position sounds like a positive development.

I agree with your view that this is a positive development.

I really enjoyed the Pinnacle Grill on the Konigsdam in September - we dined there about 5 times.  It helped that I recognized our server from our Panama Canal cruise on the Ooosterdam so the service was flawless.  If you have a server that you like and you repeat ask for their section.   The quality of the meat has gone downhill as others have mentioned.  Especially the steak tartare much smaller than in the past (OK because it was too big before) but had a different texture.  

One thing to do if you have a bad meal either in the MDR or specialty restaurant go to the free Holland America content on the ship's Wifi.  Fill our the comment section while still on the ship.  We had a wonderful dinner at Tamarind and then later in the cruise had a totally dreadful one with the exact same food choices.  I had bragged up Canaletto to my friend that it was the best value for a specialty restaurant.   My veal was poorly browned and the flour on the outside still tasted raw.  I noted that in the comment section and  I heard back immediately from Canaletto and they offered another meal without charge.  It was perfect as I had always remembered.  The guest service department on the Konigsdam was excellent on follow up.  It is well worth taking the time to add comments while still on the ship if you have poor food or service.  I think the horrible dinner at Tamarind was too late in the trip to have a make up.  Frankly I will never go back because I can still imagine the fishy taste of that fried soft shell crab.   My friend's lobster tasted like it was sitting around from the week before.   

We've had many lunches & dinners in the PG on at least 6 different HAL ships … the food has been mostly good and prepared as requested, some waiters have been better than others, but the service on each of those ships has always been glacially slow … the last few times we've felt the wait was long enough, we've simply left … 

By far the best meal we've ever had on any ship of any cruise line was at Tamarind, but I don't remember if it was on the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Maasdam … 

15 minutes ago, Lady Chew said:

By far the best meal we've ever had on any ship of any cruise line was at Tamarind, but I don't remember if it was on the Nieuw Amsterdam or the Maasdam … 

The Maasdam doesn't have a Tamarind, so you can picture your memory on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

9 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Tamarind is not on the Maasdam

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

The Maasdam doesn't have a Tamarind, so you can picture your memory on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

Well then, I guess it was on the Nieuw Amsterdam!  And it was delicious!!

Edited by Lady Chew

If we are to believe some of the posts, management is being improved.  But we do not think that on board management has anything to do with the quality of beef purchased by HAL, or the skill of the Chefs who should be able to prepare a medium rare steak that is actually served medium rare.

Hank

10 hours ago, Lady Chew said:

I have to agree our Tamarind dinner on the Nieuw Amsterdam was the best we have had on any cruise line too. We wished we had eaten there more instead of the PG. Unfortunately the Noordam doesn't have this venue for our Alaska Cruise next year.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Try the filet mignon! :classic_biggrin:

Spot on - every filet mignon I have had at the Pinnacle Grill has been as good as (and, in a few instances, better than) what I have had in top-class restaurants on land ...  and the PG prices certainly beat those on land.  So for me, it's a win-win-win proposition!!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, frankc98376 said:

Our best PG experience by far was on I believe Westerdam a few years ago with Chef Ganesh.  Everything we had was absolute perfection. We heard the same from many other diners on that cruise.

I think you are right.  He is excellent and makes some wonderful Indian dishes on request!

Edited by SilvertoGold

On 10/27/2018 at 8:16 AM, mcrcruiser said:

Seems to us all  of the main line cruise lines have cut back  on service & quality . When we  started cruising in the early 90s service was tops & food quality was excellent .Over the years & now 80 + cruises we can no longer say the same . There definitely has been a decline due to corporate mandates for  higher bottom line profits & that cuts across all levels :classic_blush:

We have to agree with you on the changes over the years causing us to give  cruising a four year break with our travel plans.  

Now days, every once in awhile you get a great server that lines up with a fabulous meal; it takes us back in time, thank heavens for those gems!   We've changed our expectations and try to make our time fun, spend more time relaxing and will probably never do more than a 3 week long cruises as in the past. 

20 hours ago, Hlitner said:

If we are to believe some of the posts, management is being improved.  But we do not think that on board management has anything to do with the quality of beef purchased by HAL, or the skill of the Chefs who should be able to prepare a medium rare steak that is actually served medium rare.

Hank

I surely do agree with your thinking.  While the new on-board management may not be able to affect the quality of beef being provided, if they are sensitive to guest comments about the beef, they may be able to influence to thinking of the F&B Executive in Seattle.  The same with the Chefs.  If they lack the skill to perform their job satisfactorily, the on-board Manager ought to be able to determine this and make a recommendation for retaining or not those individuals.  I am hopeful that this "closer to the action" administrative position will result in an improved guest dining experience, particularly in the PG.

Here is a pull from my recent review of our Zuiderdam cruise "Voyage of the Vikings" this past August:

We ate at the Pinnacle Grill one night.  We have eaten in the Pinnacle Grill on several different ships so I’m going to be a little critical here.  The past few times I have not really felt that the experience was worth the upcharge of $35.00. This occasion was no different. When we were seated, I noticed a whole bunch of salt or something similar all over my seat, I actually had to get up and brush it all off. The menu was stained and actually torn in the corner. I Never saw that in the MDR. The food was very good and so was the service but again, I don’t believe that the whole experience is worth the extra $35.00  It was a better value when it was only $20.00. 

We ate at the Canelleto for the first time on this cruise. What a delight! The food was superb and the service was exceptional. It was well worth the upcharge. 

P.S. I wrote a long review of this cruise if anyone would like to read it. It is posted in the reviews section.

WOW, we are booked on the Rotterdam and our TA has given us dinner to the PG.  Now we are wondering if we should try it out or just continue going to the MDR, which we enjoy.  After a lot of this conversation, almost afraid to try the PG.  

14 minutes ago, mammy123 said:

WOW, we are booked on the Rotterdam and our TA has given us dinner to the PG.  Now we are wondering if we should try it out or just continue going to the MDR, which we enjoy.  After a lot of this conversation, almost afraid to try the PG.  

You've got a free PG dinner waiting for you? By all means, try it out and form your own opinion instead of relying on the opinions of others! What do you have to lose?

16 minutes ago, mammy123 said:

After you've tried the Pinnacle Grill you'll wonder why you ever thought about going to the MDR instead.

1 hour ago, mammy123 said:

Best to try the filet with sun-dried tomato sauce and the mashed potatoes for the more consistent good dinner. choice. It won't be a bad dinner, could be great but that is where the inconsistency works against them.

2 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

You've got a free PG dinner waiting for you? By all means, try it out and form your own opinion instead of relying on the opinions of others! What do you have to lose?

2 hours ago, grsnovi said:

If you've never eaten there by all means go and enjoy yourselves! It will be a wonderful experience.

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

After you've tried the Pinnacle Grill you'll wonder why you ever thought about going to the MDR instead.

👍 👍 👍