Olive oil

vagabonda

I am travelling back to Florida for the winter and wanted to bring two tins of our homemade Olive oil and some salami.  It is all sealed and wanted to just put it in my suitcase since I don't need to travel by air but I'm now afraid they won't let it pass.  I'm on a Princess TA.  Does anyone know the rules about this?  

Giovanna

Olive oil should be fine, but not the salami.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

And those beagles have really sharp noses. We got singled out by one in Miami last year. We racked our brains to figure out why and then realised she must have smelled the lingering scent of the bananas we had had in the bag to eat on the plane. We mentioned it to her handler who agreed that this was likely. We will not be bringing bananas to eat on our upcoming flight. 

56 minutes ago, FionaMG said:

Olive oil should be fine, but not the salami.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/3619/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

And those beagles have really sharp noses. We got singled out by one in Miami last year. We racked our brains to figure out why and then realised she must have smelled the lingering scent of the bananas we had had in the bag to eat on the plane. We mentioned it to her handler who agreed that this was likely. We will not be bringing bananas to eat on our upcoming flight. 

Perhaps you heard about the lady who received an apple on her international flight?  She placed it her carry on to eat on the next flight.  She was stopped in customs.  The fine was steep.

My NG unit traveled overseas several times to support various exercises.  The agriculture inspections coming home were extreme.  

Yes, indeed, I did hear about that lady. 

In our case, we did actually eat the bananas in-flight so they were history by the time we landed. However, we were flying trans-Atlantic and they had been in the bag for several hours before we ate them, so that was enough for the sharp-nosed little beagle to pick up on their scent!