What are your favourite AU/NZ Itineraries?

Hi - I'm trying to put about a 2 month trip together down under.  We've been to Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Cairns and Port Douglas so not a complete AU rookie.  What's your favourite cruise itineraries from there?  Looking at the new Celebrity releases, I have South Pacific including Fiji, New Caledonia/Vanuatu, New Zealand, South Australia with Tasmania and Adelaide, Great Barrier Reef.  I want to end the trip with the Tahitian Treasures Sydney or Melbourne to Honolulu.

I also want to spend some time on the westcoast, which Celebrity seems to have ignored, but will likely do that with a land trip.

So, what's your favourite?  Any that are kind of Blah, don't bother?

Thank you!

Budget is pretty open. This is my husband’s retirement trip. That goes for time too. We’re looking at about 2 months. Love wine which is why Perth, Adelaide and NZ appeal. Really like Celebrity which is why I focused on their new releases. 

Of that list, I'd rate these two the highest: the NZ option (lots of good things to see) , and the Hobart/Adelaide option, which is peaceful and relaxing. But it does depend on your preferences, e.g. if you like diving that would probably move Barrier Reef up.

Definitely agree with Celebrity for Tahitian Treasures.

Or a circumnavigation of Australia haven’t looked recently but a few years ago Celebrity offered a b2b, Auckland to Perth across the bottom, Perth to Sydney Around the top end.

so fly to NZ, have some land time, cruise some time in Sydney, fly home.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Or a circumnavigation of Australia haven’t looked recently but a few years ago Celebrity offered a b2b, Auckland to Perth across the bottom, Perth to Sydney Around the top end.

so fly to NZ, have some land time, cruise some time in Sydney, fly home.

Celebrity still do them. We did Perth/NZ/Sydney earlier this year. We have also done two half circumnavigations (not B2B) top and bottom, with RCI Radiance OTS and were very happy with that, consider it budget Celebrity.

7 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Celebrity still do them. We did Perth/NZ/Sydney earlier this year. We have also done two half circumnavigations (not B2B) top and bottom, with RCI Radiance OTS and were very happy with that, consider it budget Celebrity.

Sadly not in 2020 or 2021. I also think I want much more time in Perth/Margaret River than what I’d get on a circumnavigation. Of course I’m not married to Celebrity so possibly RCL or Princess for something on the bottom end. 

1 minute ago, Cruise Junky said:

Sadly not in 2020 or 2021. I also think I want much more time in Perth/Margaret River than what I’d get on a circumnavigation. Of course I’m not married to Celebrity so possibly RCL or Princess for something on the bottom end. 

Our cruise this year included flight from Sydney to Perth. For not too much extra our TA was able to organise the flight a few days early so we could visit Margaret River - we have a friend over there who is a trainee winemaker.

5 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Our cruise this year included flight from Sydney to Perth. For not too much extra our TA was able to organise the flight a few days early so we could visit Margaret River - we have a friend over there who is a trainee winemaker.

Sounds great. I was disappointed there’s no Perth for either 2020 or 2021 on Celebrity. Opportunity missed imo 

Very few NZ cruises go up the West Coast, there are few good harbours there and the West Coast usually gets the brunt of and winder weather and seas. The East Coast is more sheltered and there are more big cities and attractions there. However if you can spend three weeks in NZ I'd suggest flying into Christchurch, driving to Queenstown via Mt Cook so you see the inland regions of the South Island. From Queenstown  head over the Crown Ranges to Wanaka, then over the Haast Pass to the West Coast. Go right up to the Tasman National Park, Nelson, Picton and the Marlborough wine region. Fly up to Auckland and pick up a 12-14 day one way cruise to Sydney which will take you to most of the East Coast ports and the Fiordland Sounds. Then do your South Pacific cruising - New Caledonia, Fiji, and the Tahitian Treasures one you mentioned.

You'd need to start your NZ travel in early March, which is usually the best time to go there anyway.

I don't recommend a cruise out of Perth (Fremantle). I don't think you would find enough of interest in the ports they go to unless you have virtually unlimited time. If you really, really want to go to Perth and Margaret River, I suggest you fly over from Sydney and then fly back. However, having been to Margaret River several times, I think the best think about it is the name.😊

If it is the wine-growing that appeals, I suggest that the Barossa and Clare Valleys near Adelaide are much more interesting and much more scenic. The third area I would suggest is the Hunter Valley north of Sydney. There are also wine growing areas near Melbourne, near Hobart and south-west of Brisbane. If it is the wine that interests you, there are other areas closer to the east coast that would have more to offer a visitor and that are easier and cheaper to get to. I say "closer to the east coast" because that is where most of our tourist areas are.

I'm thinking you're keen to see as much as possible of the Australia you haven't yet seen. My suggestion is forget doing another cruise. Maybe choose a land tour but pick out the bits of Australia you'd love to experience.  You've been here before and visited our east coast cities and attractions. It's time to visit the interior and the west. You have enough time to plan it well and as cheaply as you can without forfeiting quality. Do you think you'd enjoy hiring a car? Perhaps a camper?

5 hours ago, sailco said:

I'm thinking you're keen to see as much as possible of the Australia you haven't yet seen. My suggestion is forget doing another cruise. Maybe choose a land tour but pick out the bits of Australia you'd love to experience.  You've been here before and visited our east coast cities and attractions. It's time to visit the interior and the west. You have enough time to plan it well and as cheaply as you can without forfeiting quality. Do you think you'd enjoy hiring a car? Perhaps a camper?

Another cruise? I haven’t done one yet, both my trips to Australia have been land trips. 😀

7 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I don't recommend a cruise out of Perth (Fremantle). I don't think you would find enough of interest in the ports they go to unless you have virtually unlimited time. If you really, really want to go to Perth and Margaret River, I suggest you fly over from Sydney and then fly back. However, having been to Margaret River several times, I think the best think about it is the name.😊

If it is the wine-growing that appeals, I suggest that the Barossa and Clare Valleys near Adelaide are much more interesting and much more scenic. The third area I would suggest is the Hunter Valley north of Sydney. There are also wine growing areas near Melbourne, near Hobart and south-west of Brisbane. If it is the wine that interests you, there are other areas closer to the east coast that would have more to offer a visitor and that are easier and cheaper to get to. I say "closer to the east coast" because that is where most of our tourist areas are.

We’ve done Hunter  Valley and Yarra. I’d definitely do one area out of Adelaide, probably Barossa. 

Have you considered taking the train across Australia from Sydney to Perth.  Then hiring a car, doing a car trip north and south from Perth.  This region has it all, beautiful scenery and beaches, wineries, etc.  Don't miss Cape Le Grand National Park.  September is a great time to see the spectacular wildflowers.  

New Zealand, being a small country, is perfect for cruising, with land content pre or post the cruise.  

I see you want to finish your trip with a cruise to Hawaii.  What time of year is the Tahitian Treasures cruise?

Edited by MMDown Under

I would suggest fly /stay visits with some car hire at the various places like

Perth and Margaret River winery region for a week or so

Adelaide with the Barossa, Clare Valley, McLaren Vale and Currency creek winery regions along with a visit to Kangaroo Island for another week or so.

Hobart and the surrounds like Bruney island, Port Arthur, Huon Valley and the Tahene Valley for another week.

A cruise out of Sydney to pick up NZ (make sure Picton is on the list for the Marlborough region wineries)

and of course the cruise back to Hawaii or even home port via Tahiti.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Another cruise? I haven’t done one yet, both my trips to Australia have been land trips. 😀

I was referring to the Tahitian Treasures :-)

Why not start in Perth. Hire a car, van or camper and tour south to Margaret River Vineyards, the southern forests, historic Albany, maybe even as far as the magnificent Esperance coastline before looping back to Perth. Alternately north as far as Exmouth to snorkle World Heritage Ningaloo Reef and swim with the whale sharks? Fly into Broome to enjoy the beach, the Kimberley and maybe the Pilbara as well. You can easily spend a month or more in Western Australia.

Then fly from Perth to Alice Springs. Hire a car, 4WD or camper and spend 7-10 days touring the centre? There's certainly plenty to see between the East and West MacDonell Ranges, Uluru, Kata Juta and Watarrka.

Edited by sailco
more info