Tell Me About Chops

Price for chops includes unlimited appetizers and deserts and a single entree, sometimes price is cheaper online most of the time it’s the same, we like chops and normally book it at least once. Very crowded on first and second night so I would avoid those . You can see menu in cruise planner.

Edited by George C
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Nado44 said:

Look for the FNDR (First Night Done Right) special in your cruise planner. $20 gets you a Chops dinner on Day 1. 

10 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Fewer and fewer cruises are having this promotion.

I was looking in the Cruise Planner every few days since I booked... 

I gave up and booked the BoGo... 

At some point, someone's going to bag on Chops for having awful steaks that wouldn't have been good enough for the MDR however many years ago.  

Just ignore it.  

We do Chops at least once and I wouldn't have minded going back again on this last trip.  Our MDR table for 8 had only one other couple who showed up consistently and the service was lackluster. FNDR is definitely a tough deal to beat (we were also on Liberty). You'll also get the argument that Chops is overpriced and shouldn't cost so much, the way I see it I'm getting a Dinner that'd cost me a lot more on land than the Specialty Dining upcharge-- once you start adding appetizers, sides, desserts, etc.  

The other thing was MDR I think you basically get med.rare and med.well as your steak choices.  Chops allows you to be more specific - I didn't have to explain "Medium plus" and they hit the target.

Do it.  Enjoy.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, superduper123 said:

I have never eaten at a specialty restaurant. My friend and I are looking at Chops for our upcoming cruise. Is it worth the $35.00, and what is included for that price? Do you need to reserve in advance, or can you do it once onboard?

We've eaten at Chops about six or seven times always on some sort of deal FNDR etc and never had a bad meal.

If can can pick up an offer it's fantastic value.

Would  suggest pre booking you can always change it if necessary.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever had the salmon at Chops, if so how is it?

We have the 3 night dining package on our cruise next week and in the past I've always ordered steak at Chops, thought I might try something different this time.

Julie

We have done Chops and Portofino on a couple of cruises. The experience is more elegant than what you would have in the MDR. You could not get the same meal at a land based restaurant for anywhere near the same price. The food, in my opinion, is better than what is served in the MDR. My guess is that's because it's made to order not made in advance to feed 2,000 people. We tried it once and, while the experience was nice, we don't think it's worth it to spend the extra money when there is a lot of other food available at no additional cost. YMMV.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kernow said:

We have the 3 night dining package on our cruise next week and in the past I've always ordered steak at Chops, thought I might try something different this time.

Julie

I don't eat chicken or beef but do eat fish and seafood.  Didn't have salmon , but had the shrimp as the main meal.  I asked for non-spicy but it was delicious.  I also have pictures on my review (posts 35-37).

Edited by LuCruise
  • Like 1

Ate at Chops on the LIberty this past August for my Birthday dinner and loved it. Food and service were excellent.

The kicker was when they brought out two desserts, the one I ordered and a slice of Birthday cake with a candle and the servers gathering around my table and singing me Happy Birthday :classic_love:

Would definitely spend the money on my next cruise to eat there again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, spookwife said:

I can eat the bacon appetizer as a main entree every day of the week.    yes We find it to be a good value and excellent  food.  we actually prefer it over Portofino/Giovannis.  

+1. So good!

3 hours ago, kernow said:

Julie

I've had the salmon and it was good.  I have also had the Branzino and I loved that.  I did ask to have the skin taken off before it was served to me as I don't eat fish skin ever!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, superduper123 said:

I have never eaten at a specialty restaurant. My friend and I are looking at Chops for our upcoming cruise. Is it worth the $35.00, and what is included for that price? Do you need to reserve in advance, or can you do it once onboard?

Not worth it to me.  It used to be better, but we feel it has gone down (while the price has gone up!).

• Like 1

We've always been very happy with it.  We usually book it through the BOGO, so for $15 or $20 per night depending on total cost, you can't, in my opinion, beat it.  And the Pepper Bacon is one of my favorite items on the entire ship.  I usually order 2 for myself.  DH LOVES the ice cream sundae for dessert.

• Like 1