Current Fee for Tuscan Grille?

bhughey

Just got of the Summit October 27th sailing and the fee to dine in Tuscan was $45. I just logged into my celebrity account to explore my "cruise" planner for our upcoming sailing on the Infinity on 12/31 - when I opt to view specialty dining selections, it says Tuscan Grille pricing "starting at $60". You MUST be kidding??!

1 hour ago, bhughey said:

Just got of the Summit October 27th sailing and the fee to dine in Tuscan was $45. I just logged into my celebrity account to explore my "cruise" planner for our upcoming sailing on the Infinity on 12/31 - when I opt to view specialty dining selections, it says Tuscan Grille pricing "starting at $60". You MUST be kidding??!

When we book a cruise on Celebrity,  our TA always comps us dinner for two at the Tuscan Grill.  We will be sailing on Equinox next May, and she will comp us again fo dinmer at the Tuscan Grill.

Of course,  you don’t have to dine at any of the specialty restaurants if you choose not to do so.  Because of cuisine or cost.:classic_wink:    But, it is well worth the extra cost, IMHO.   YMMV.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

13 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

When we book a cruise on Celebrity,  our TA always comps us dinner for two at the Tuscan Grill.  We will be sailing on Equinox next May, and she will comp us again fo dinmer at the Tuscan Grill.

Of course,  you don’t have to dine at any of the specialty restaurants if you choose not to do so.  Because of cuisine or cost.:classic_wink:    But, it is well worth the extra cost, IMHO.   YMMV.

King

You say it is well worth the cost, however; you aren't paying for it since your TA comped for you 😉?
Obviously, it goes without saying, that one can choose to dine @ the specialty restaurants or not - but there does come a point when the cost is greater than the experience - for me, anyway.

On a separate note, perhaps the fee is greater due to the New Year holiday. When I log into the cruise planner for our China/Korea/Japan cruise (sail date Oct. 2019), the fee is listed as "starting at $30."

34 minutes ago, bhughey said:

You say it is well worth the cost, however; you aren't paying for it since your TA comped for you 😉?
Obviously, it goes without saying, that one can choose to dine @ the specialty restaurants or not - but there does come a point when the cost is greater than the experience - for me, anyway.

On a separate note, perhaps the fee is greater due to the New Year holiday. When I log into the cruise planner for our China/Korea/Japan cruise (sail date Oct. 2019), the fee is listed as "starting at $30."

Before we switched Travel Agencies,  we did pay for our dinners at Tuscan Grill.    And IMO was still worth the extra cost.

But,  for many,  the extra cost for dining at a specialty restaurant is simply not good value,  or the cuisine or quality doesn’t appeal.   Then,  there is nothing wrong dining in the MDR or buffet, if  you enjoy quality of the cuisine.   I’m a beef lover, and cannot get a quality steak in the MDR.   For me,  a double cut tomahawk style (44 oz.) porterhouse steak grilled Black and Blue, is what I enjoy, and it’s available at Tuscan Grill.  And, Tuscan Grill serves prime grade of beef.  More tender and flavorful.   IMO,  it is better quality than the steak served in the MDR.   YMMV.

King

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 hours ago, bhughey said:

I think that is what is happening.  The "holiday" cruises are charging more for dining.  Heck, for my 12/29 cruise, they are actually selling a NYE dinner(Murano or Tuscan Grille) for $119. 

DH and I dined there twice when the asking price was $45. Both times we got a discount on board and both times we came away feeling ripped off. The service was lacking, the food was underwhelming. The only thing we liked was the view. We do enjoy Murano, but will never eat at Tuscan again. It's nice that there are choices. because other folks, like Kingofcool1947 really enjoy Tuscan. We'd never even consider it again at any price. (Well, maybe for free:classic_wink:!)

38 minutes ago, Luvcrusn said:

DH and I dined there twice when the asking price was $45. Both times we got a discount on board and both times we came away feeling ripped off. The service was lacking, the food was underwhelming. The only thing we liked was the view. We do enjoy Murano, but will never eat at Tuscan again. It's nice that there are choices. because other folks, like Kingofcool1947 really enjoy Tuscan. We'd never even consider it again at any price. (Well, maybe for free:classic_wink:!)

Even for free, I've not cared for it.  Have tried 3 times (it came with the room) on different ships and disliked it every time.  Three strikes and out!

1 hour ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Even for free, I've not cared for it.  Have tried 3 times (it came with the room) on different ships and disliked it every time.  Three strikes and out!

I also did Tusican grill 3 times , first time it was also  free, but really had 3 great meals , we do specialty restaurants a lot have done dozens on multiple lines, looking forward to next celebrity cruise and next visit. I know specialty restaurants quality can vary from night to night and ship to ship. 

6 hours ago, cruisetimeforme said:

Still listed at $45 on my cruise planner for Nov 30th sailing. Perhaps you can book for the 1st night for a discount? Murano, Tuscan and Lawn Club all had that option available

And still $45 for my 6 SEP 2019 Reflection sailing.

But I would not be surprised to see future price increases since they just increased the package prices: 3-night went from $109pp to $125pp ($41.25 per night) and 4-night went from $125pp to $149pp ($37.25 per night.)

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

We are on the Silhouette 15-night TA right now.  We bought a 6-night specialty dining pkg before the cruise during a good sale, and specifically because we’d had such wonderful meals at Tuscan, Murano, and Lawn Club the last time we were on board, four years ago.

Well, times certainly have changed. We had dinner at Tuscan the other night and it was a huge disappointment.  The service was awful (we were either totally ignored or rushed), and the food was mediocre at best, particularly the “homemade” pasta, which really should have been special. We’ve cancelled the other two reservations we had there. Murano was excellent and we will eat there again. Lawn Club was not as good as before.

As it has turned out, the food in the MDR is quite good. There’s really no need for a lot of specialty dining.  Maybe a fancy meal at Murano to celebrate the cruise. 

We were on the Eclipse a few weeks ago and had an 8-dinner package (which I would not do again by the way) and ended up dining four nights in Tuscan.  We cancelled one night in Murano (which we did enjoy) for Tuscan.  We had outstanding service, good food and a window table for two each time.  We have booked the first night in Tuscan at the discounted price for each of our upcoming cruises and may choose to eat in Murano once per cruise - but only if it is offered at a discount, otherwise we won't bother.

I don't think I would pay $45 extra (for that is what it is to me) to eat at any of the specialities, and definitely not $60.  

36 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

We were on the Eclipse a few weeks ago and had an 8-dinner package (which I would not do again by the way) and ended up dining four nights in Tuscan.  We cancelled one night in Murano (which we did enjoy) for Tuscan.  We had outstanding service, good food and a window table for two each time.  We have booked the first night in Tuscan at the discounted price for each of our upcoming cruises and may choose to eat in Murano once per cruise - but only if it is offered at a discount, otherwise we won't bother.

I don't think I would pay $45 extra (for that is what it is to me) to eat at any of the specialities, and definitely not $60.  

Agreed just off Eclipse today and it was fabulous both times we dined there. Had different waiters each night but service was very good each evening as was the food.

1 hour ago, njmelis24 said:

Agreed just off Eclipse today and it was fabulous both times we dined there. Had different waiters each night but service was very good each evening as was the food.

Good to know.  I bet if you had Shankar as your waiter you would remember him - he wrote down his name lest we forget 😉.  He did know we were returning though, and his service was great so we were happy to give him a mention at the end of the cruise (he did not request this).

11 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

We were pretty much the same, poor service and the food was average at best. I keep thinking we will give it another try on next years cruise but with Murano as an alternative it’s a bit of a no brainer in truth, different level of service and food.

1 hour ago, mrsgoggins said:

Good to know.  I bet if you had Shankar as your waiter you would remember him - he wrote down his name lest we forget 😉.  He did know we were returning though, and his service was great so we were happy to give him a mention at the end of the cruise (he did not request this).

We did on the first night as well! He was great and kept DHs wine glass full at all times. He also gave us good food recommendations. Nice guy. 

9 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

Your post point out exactly why it's good to have choices. We'd cancel Tuscan in favor of another night in Murano. That way we won't clog up Tuscan reservations for you and you won't clog up Murano reservations for us. Bon appetit and bon boyage.

• 1 month later...