Swimming Pools on Alaska Cruises?

Pirate927

Hi everyone,

We are looking at an Alaska cruise for our family in July or August, probably with Royal Caribbean (Ovation) or Norwegian (Jpy) but open to any other suggestions. We consistently run into one stumbling block, though: The pool. Our 5 year old daughter LOVES the pool and the waterslides, etc whether we are on a ship or at a resort. We think being on a ship with pools she can't use might be tough for her. We assume it is just too cold to use the pools extensively or at all on these Alaska cruises.

But, we want to be sure. So how are the pools, slides, etc. handled on these Alaska cruises in July or August? Are they open and you just swim cold if you want? Are they closed and covered? Any info from recent experience would be great. Thank you!

PS - We have done Disney Cruises in the past, but for Alaska it is just out of our budget this time. 

Although it won't be sailing in Alaska any more we did the NCL Pearl late June a couple years ago and we, myself and then 6yo DD, used the pools a few times during the cruise and found them to be warm.  However the last full day we went for a swim and we were using one of the pools and I gave DD a 10 min warning that we had to get ready for dinner.  She asked of we could use the other pool one last time.  We jumped in and and quickly back out as it was freezing,   Not sure if there was something wrong with the heater in that pool or they had added water and it had not heated up yet.  We still laugh about how cold it was and how we got a big surprise.   

• Like 1

The weather on our first week in July cruise was fantastic with temperatures in the high 70s/low 80s.  Lots of folks were sunbathing and many people were in the pools (this was on the Ruby Princess) including our 3 1/2 year old granddaughter, her dad and her mom.  But that weather was unusual.

My nephew lives in Alaska and in the spring when the temp reaches 50F they go under the sprinkler in the back yard. Not only is the weather cold but the water from his well is cold. I think children can handle the cold better because they are not on blood thinners like some of us!!

• Like 1

Our Carnival cruise had a pool that was in a covered area, but it wasn't used much. We went in July and our temps were more on the cooler side for most days. We had sunshine pretty much most days, and no rain, but temps were more in the 50's, which it was too cool for going in the pool for me. But there were some kids using it.

We sailed to Alaska on Radiance of the Seas - that ship has 2 pools, one inside and one out. The indoor pool is usually adults only space but for "cold weather" cruises like Alaska, its open to families 10am-12pm and 2pm-4pm each day - this was enough for my children, we planned round swimming times (usually on shore mornings, back on board for lunch, children into kids club for an hour or so while we hit shore briefly again then got children out of kids club with enough time for swim before 4pm cut off).

Might be worth studying the deck plans of the ships you are looking at carefully, and finding out if any indoor pools, then ring customer service for that cruise line and ask about children using the indoor pool, specifically to Alaska.

Hope that helps

Lou

We have done many cruises to Alaska on HAL and the Lido pool is covered and it gets a lot of use by the kids. There's something to be said to be swimming in the pool with the cover open on a sunny day in Glacier Bay. Truly amazing! 

Karen

8 minutes ago, gabbygal99 said:

Has anyone been to Alaska in May and seen the pools/slides being used?!

Again, as discussed above with closed roof pool situations on many ships, there should be no reason not to use the pool.

Then, we sat in the outside hot tubs while it was sleeting in September...kind of fun.

On 11/13/2018 at 9:25 AM, CruiserBruce said:

Again, as discussed above with closed roof pool situations on many ships, there should be no reason not to use the pool.

Then, we sat in the outside hot tubs while it was sleeting in September...kind of fun.

Norwegian Bliss does not have a complimentary covered or enclosed pool. The thermal spa (pay) also does not allow children, so even if you're willing to pay, it won't help families. That's why I asked.

14 hours ago, gabbygal99 said:

Norwegian Bliss does not have a complimentary covered or enclosed pool. 

This question is going to have drastically different answers based on ship & what pool facilities are on offer, so if you *know* what ship you'll be on, it's helpful to include that information.

We were on Seabourn Sojourn in September 2018 and we used the pools and hot tubs. They were outside, but mostly heated, and we had lovely weather. We were on Pacific Princess in 2007 and I don't recall if we used pools or not. I also cruised on HAL in the late 80s and I was in the pool then too. But I was much younger and heartier then 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2018 at 4:08 PM, Pirate927 said:

Hi everyone,

We are looking at an Alaska cruise for our family in July or August, probably with Royal Caribbean (Ovation) or Norwegian (Jpy) but open to any other suggestions. We consistently run into one stumbling block, though: The pool. Our 5 year old daughter LOVES the pool and the waterslides, etc whether we are on a ship or at a resort. We think being on a ship with pools she can't use might be tough for her. We assume it is just too cold to use the pools extensively or at all on these Alaska cruises.

But, we want to be sure. So how are the pools, slides, etc. handled on these Alaska cruises in July or August? Are they open and you just swim cold if you want? Are they closed and covered? Any info from recent experience would be great. Thank you!

PS - We have done Disney Cruises in the past, but for Alaska it is just out of our budget this time. 

Ovation has two indoor pools.  There is one in the Solarium which is 16 and up and there is a larger, indoor family pool with a retractable roof.  Plenty of opportunity for pool time.  

• 2 weeks later...

I have often seen people using the pools on Alaskan cruises, and have often used them myself.  The only time I have ever been on a ship with a waterslide (Carnival Spirit, July 2001) it was not open.  If you are considering a ship with a waterslide, you might try to get accurate information about whether it is open when sailing Alaska. It might be hard for your daughter to see the slide and not be able to use it, so you might have to prep her in advance to not expect it.

Have completed 2 full Alaska seasons and also a number of B2B's as a passenger. Pools are normally open and available for use.

BTW - we have also experienced temps of mid 90's in Skagway, at which time the pools were busy.