Mini Blog - Live from Voyager - Barcelona - Miami

Travelcat2

mmmm! That all sounds delish!

Will be looking forward to the alcohol and champers that are available.

Still mourning the loss of the better ones. With our Cunard trip looming,

I know the champers in the cabin will be the dreaded "Pol Aker"....ugh.

Will need to tote something better for the duration.

4 hours ago, Mudhen said:

mmmm! That all sounds delish!

Will be looking forward to the alcohol and champers that are available.

Still mourning the loss of the better ones. With our Cunard trip looming,

I know the champers in the cabin will be the dreaded "Pol Aker"....ugh.

Will need to tote something better for the duration.

Last Cunard sailing, we received a bottle of Veuve Cliquot in the cabin.  But we were in QG.  I'd rather have Proseco than Pol Aker.

19 minutes ago, orvil said:

Last Cunard sailing, we received a bottle of Veuve Cliquot in the cabin.  But we were in QG.  I'd rather have Proseco than Pol Aker.

Although I'm not a Proseco fan for the most part, may have to look into that if the offered champagne is the Germain.....sigh.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:39 AM, Travelcat2 said:

On another topic, G.M Davor and I did a taste test of the champagnes (Germain vs. Heidsieck Monopole).  He felt that Germain was a bit sharper than Monopole which was lighter.  My palate is likely different.  I agreed that the Monopole was lighter in flavor but felt that the Germain left a bitter aftertaste .  This was not a cost cutting change for Regent and. In fact, Germain is a bit more money. 

My best advice is not to judge this champagne until you try it.  For now, I’m sticking with Monopole.

So...Germain is more expensive than the previous Montaudon?  That's not what I see when pricing these online.

Edited by Kwaj girl

1 hour ago, Kwaj girl said:

So...Germain is more expensive than the previous Montaudon?  That's not what I see when pricing these online.

That is what is being said by onboard management.  The price of Germain is suppose to be the same or slightly higher than Monopole (Montaudon is no longer part of the equasion).  We enjoy Heidsiek Monopole but not Germain.

So, we did get off of the ship today - doing a included excursion (not as good as Regent Choice excursions).  Anyway, getting off of the ship for 5 hours was nice.  We saw gorgeous beaches and water, had a very good wine tasting and were very happy.  Now we are ready for our 9 days at sea.

Still making boring posts but there is so little going on.  Will have much more to share on our February cruise from Chile to Los Angeles.

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Still making boring posts but there is so little going on.

Boring???? Never!!!!!:classic_biggrin:

Are you planning on doing the  Connoisseur Wine Lunch?

Looks like after that lunch, one would have to skip dinner.  As if.  😉

Jackie & Dennis,

Enjoying your latest cruise details!  The meals sound very delicious. Hope that the weather and waves don't take away much from your voyage.

Reading about transatlantic cruises really gives me a chance to learn more about the ship and the many things to do at sea when there are just a couple port calls.

Jackie, we will happily be embarking the Voyager in Miami after she arrives on the 26th.  I know that you have mentioned Daniella and Davor.  Who are the CD and ACD, assuming they are staying on through our cruise til December 6th.   Thanks.  

Ok, I have to vent on something we saw yesterday that I find disturbing. We were in line to check in for our reservation at Chartreuse and the guy in front of us slips the maitre d’  a $20 bill, which he accepted! Not only that, he was not in the least bit surprised, indicating that it was done before. We can only surmise that the couple in front of us did not have a reservation and bought their way in. I can see now why Regent decided to take the specialty restaurant reservations away from the maitre d’s and put up a reservation desk. But now the whole thing happens out in the open.

By the way, I do not see why someone would want to bribe their way into Chartreuse, because we were very disappointed with our meal. The appetizers were fine if tiny, but the entrees were pretty much inedible. I had the veal filet which was basically half fat, and my husband had a very tasteless and breaded lobster. Chartreuse was already our least favorite restaurant on Explorer, but this was much worse. Also, the menu on the Voyager is more limited than on the Explorer and the dishes we liked there (duck, seabass) were not even offered.

5 hours ago, golfgirls said:

Jackie, we will happily be embarking the Voyager in Miami after she arrives on the 26th.  I know that you have mentioned Daniella and Davor.  Who are the CD and ACD, assuming they are staying on through our cruise til December 6th.   Thanks.  

Daniela will be onboard until December 20th while Davor is doing a longer than normal contract and will be on Voyager until February.  The CD is David Nevin and I have not met the Asst CD - have not seen her before.  

Bob -yes we are doing the Connoisseur Wine Lunch ... it will be on the 24th.

Ken, you gave me a good idea.  I can post the day’s events.  Today I’ll be working on the alcohol list as the lecture this morning isn’t my thing (history of the Atlantic or something).  

The ship is “jiggley” this morning (have to acknowledge that we are on deck 11 in La Veranda where it is typically like the beds in motels years ago that you put in a quarter for a massage.

15 minutes ago, BBWC said:

Ok, I have to vent on something we saw yesterday that I find disturbing. We were in line to check in for our reservation at Chartreuse and the guy in front of us slips the maitre d’  a $20 bill, which he accepted! Not only that, he was not in the least bit surprised, indicating that it was done before. We can only surmise that the couple in front of us did not have a reservation and bought their way in. I can see now why Regent decided to take the specialty restaurant reservations away from the maitre d’s and put up a reservation desk. But now the whole thing happens out in the open.

By the way, I do not see why someone would want to bribe their way into Chartreuse, because we were very disappointed with our meal. The appetizers were fine if tiny, but the entrees were pretty much inedible. I had the veal filet which was basically half fat, and my husband had a very tasteless and breaded lobster. Chartreuse was already our least favorite restaurant on Explorer, but this was much worse. Also, the menu on the Voyager is more limited than on the Explorer and the dishes we liked there (duck, seabass) were not even offered.

This is definitely something that needs to be brought to Davor’s atttention. Very upsetting! 

We haven’t dined in Chartreuse yet however your experience was not a good one.  

I don’t know if I’m more shocked at the maitre’d being slipped the $20 or accepting the $20.  It’s like a scene out of a “B” movie.    I realize as academics, we navigate the world differently than people in business, but I find the whole transaction awkward and uncomfortable - perhaps because I could never imagine pulling it off myself.  One of the reasons we keep returning to Regent is we don't have to contend with this kind of thing.  It also smacks of elitism which is also absent on Regent. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the champagne list, Jackie!

Unfortunately, unless we scored a big OBC, most are a little too pricey for us! We can get the Clicquot for about 45 at home, so that's somewhat reasonable. But I'm so sad that there isn't a decent champers at the bar. Although not my favorite, may have to look into proseco. Are there any decent ones onboard?

26 minutes ago, forgap said:

I don’t know if I’m more shocked at the maitre’d being slipped the $20 or accepting the $20.  It’s like a scene out of a “B” movie.    I realize as academics, we navigate the world differently than people in business, but I find the whole transaction awkward and uncomfortable - perhaps because I could never imagine pulling it off myself.  One of the reasons we keep returning to Regent is we don't have to contend with this kind of thing.  It also smacks of elitism which is also absent on Regent. 

I must agree with foragap as I am legitimately shocked as well that the maitre'd accepted the tip.  Did this couple buy their way into the reservation?  We consider ourselves to be reasonably astute as to the ways of the world but I did not expect this kind of thing was happening on Regent.  If indeed  true, it is extremely disappointing.

Edited by morneau

1 hour ago, Mudhen said:

Thank you for the champagne list, Jackie!

Unfortunately, unless we scored a big OBC, most are a little too pricey for us! We can get the Clicquot for about 45 at home, so that's somewhat reasonable. But I'm so sad that there isn't a decent champers at the bar. Although not my favorite, may have to look into proseco. Are there any decent ones onboard?

Will email you about this subject (and other things)

We are now within hours of high seas.  It just started raining so there was a stampede heading to La Veranda from outside.  The Captain is keeping us well advised of the storms.  

Going to take photos of the cocktail menu after lunch.

Thanks for posting the Champagne list Jackie.   The only one I like to drink (aside from Vincent Joudart!) is Veuve Cliquot so I am very happy about that price.   We will celebrate our 55th Anniversary on the Splendour cruise and I plan to buy a bottle for our suite (Suite comes with a bottle of "the Widow" on embarkation but it will have disappeared by then...)

Hold on tightly as you start to rock and roll!   Stay safe!

Gerry

That Connoisseur Wine lunch sounds very much like "la Réserve" on Oceania... only more expensive. Does the $169 cover the food AND wines?  I ask because you posted the per bottle cost of each wine.  I have to think it does...  Are you planning to go Jackie?  And If so perhaps you can tell us how it was AND post some photos.  I just hope it isn't scheduled for a stormy day!!