Mini Blog - Live from Voyager - Barcelona - Miami

Travelcat2

8 hours ago, Marq said:

Cancelling Bermuda more than a week out would upset me, too.  Who knows what the weather will be there a week out.  Me thinks that Regent (and/or the insurance company) is concerned about the damaged hull and avoiding any weather at all.  I wonder how long this hesitance will last.

Maybe the ship's top speed is compromised thus the need for shorter distance and more time at sea.

Marc

What you say could be true, however, as you know, the Mariner had to skip two ports due to the hurricane on the west coast which resulted 8 sea days and Mariner does not hae a damaged hull.  And, as reported previously, there was a record breaking storm in Rome with 80 km/hour winds a couple of weeks ago.  An Azamara ship came loose from it’s mooring and was floating towards Voyager.  Thankfully a tug boat interceded but the captain had to make annnouncement to passengers that the Azamara ship could collide with Voyager.  My point is that weather is causing issues worldwide so whenever we cruise, we need to consider that we may miss ports

We really felt badly for a passenger that had arranged for a high level official in Bermuda (could be Prime Minister) to come onboard Voyager for Thanksgiving in Bermuda.  

Edited by Travelcat2

10 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

We really felt badly for a passenger that had arranged for a high level official in Bermuda (could be Prime Minister) to come onboard Voyager for Thanksgiving in Bermuda.  

I didn’t realise that Regent allowed guests to host visitors on board. Is that available for any guest to request?

How is that arranged in advance?

54 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

I didn’t realise that Regent allowed guests to host visitors on board. Is that available for any guest to request?

How is that arranged in advance?

There is a form that you fill out 30 days in advance of the cruise.  You can call Regent and have the form sent to you.  Even though we are Titanium on Regent, when we visited friends on Mariner while it was docked in Vancouver, we had to fill out the same paperwork.  Once approved, your guests can come onboard (but you pay for their lunch!)

11 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

There is a form that you fill out 30 days in advance of the cruise

Thanks - appreciate the clarification 

We enjoy hosting friends and family whenever possible 

So that’s at least Crystal and Regent that provide the option for guests. I know Seabourn do not - not sure about Silversea

Totally understand and agree with the need for registration of all visitors beforehand for security purposes and of course meeting costs for meals is reasonable also 

Enjoy the rest of the cruise and hope the seas don’t get too challenging 

Edited by Stickman1990

15 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Thanks - appreciate the clarification 

We enjoy hosting friends and family whenever possible 

So that’s at least Crystal and Regent that provide the option for guests. I know Seabourn do not - not sure about Silversea

Totally understand and agree with the need for registration of all visitors beforehand for security purposes and of course meeting costs for meals is reasonable also 

Enjoy the rest of the cruise and hope the seas don’t get too challenging 

Terry, yes Silversea allows visitors as well.  Similar process.  One writes to them to get approval and there is a charge to cover food, beverages, etc.

Keith

Sorry - think I pressed the wrong button!

Seabourn do allow visitors on board, but as I imagine with all lines, a fair amount of paperwork and passport numbers etc. being needed beforehand.  It is wise to organise it with your visitors and Seabourn well in advance.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Seabourn do allow visitors on board, but as I imagine with all lines, a fair amount of paperwork and passport numbers etc. being needed beforehand.  It is wise to organise it with your visitors and Seabourn well in advance.

Sorry but I was relying on the Seabourn website (see screen shot below) and the material I have received from them prior to my forthcoming cruise

If they do allow visitors they have a strange way of communicating it as it is contrary to everything they tell their guests - seems there must be some sort of “secret handshake” required to facilitate it

Even with those lines who do have a policy allowing visitors eg Crystal & Regent you need to provide information and Government issued photo ID details well in advance. But I would not describe the process used by Crystal as complicated - we just provide those details via an online portal before the cruise and that is it. There is a limit of 4 guests per stateroom per day and their is a notional visitor fee to cover beverages and they are welcome to stay for meals (additional cost)

64A5FF06-4B36-46C0-8197-95F275ADC1D6.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Stickman1990 said:

Sorry but I was relying on the Seabourn website (see screen shot below) and the material I have received from them prior to my forthcoming cruise

If they do allow visitors they have a strange way of communicating it as it is contrary to everything they tell their guests - seems there must be some sort of “secret handshake” required to facilitate it

Even with those lines who do have a policy allowing visitors eg Crystal & Regent you need to provide information and Government issued photo ID details well in advance. But I would not describe the process used by Crystal as complicated - we just provide those details via an online portal before the cruise and that is it. There is a limit of 4 guests per stateroom per day and their is a notional visitor fee to cover beverages and they are welcome to stay for meals (additional cost)

64A5FF06-4B36-46C0-8197-95F275ADC1D6.jpeg

Looks like not as straight forward as is Crystal, Regent or Silversea but obviously people have been successful including a couple of people from Australia.  

Sounds to me like you or your TA should contact Seabourn and there is a visitor form.

I guess this is an example of a cruise lines web site either not being current or providing conflicting information.  :classic_laugh:

Keith

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Looks like not as straight forward as is Crystal, Regent or Silversea but obviously people have been successful including a couple of people from Australia.  

Sounds to me like you or your TA should contact Seabourn and there is a visitor form.

I guess this is an example of a cruise lines web site either not being current or providing conflicting information.  :classic_laugh:

Keith

It’s not just their website, it’s also clearly stated that no visitors are permitted onboard in the precruise information provided to guests 

It seems that Seabourn have one published rule for the masses and one unpublished rule for those in the know, having read about the option and process on an internet chat forum - not something I like to experience or which expect. If something is stated so categorically I don’t expect for the opposite to be the case 

Of course I will now innocently ask the question of Seabourn, both directly and via my TA, and see what response I receive 

Oh well given this is off topic in the Regent forums we should probably leave it at that, at least on this forum

Edited by Stickman1990

5 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Yes - it was included in P7 but am not certain if it is available anywhere else (definitely not in bars but maybe other dining venues.

Jackie, my experience has been that if wine is available in one venue, if you ask for it in Compass Rose, or other restaurants,  they will get it for you.

If Dennis is a fan of Dover Sole, I'm curious to know if he has a preference for the preparation in Prime 7 vs. Chartreuse vs Compass Rose.  I actually prefer it in CR.

Bob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

Jackie, my experience has been that if wine is available in one venue, if you ask for it in Compass Rose, or other restaurants,  they will get it for you.

If Dennis is a fan of Dover Sole, I'm curious to know if he has a preference for the preparation in Prime 7 vs. Chartreuse vs Compass Rose.  I actually prefer it in CR.

Bob

Bob - Dennis is definitely a fan of Dover Sole.  He much prefers it in P7 over CR.  I do not recall if he has ordered it in Chartreuse before.  You didn’t ask but I generally prefer rack of lamb in Chartreuse but the double lamb chops in P7 were delicious!  

As an aside, the best Filet Mignon that we have had on Regent was in CR (topped with a bit of Fois Gras).  The food on this cruise has been amazing.

On another topic, G.M Davor and I did a taste test of the champagnes (Germain vs. Heidsieck Monopole).  He felt that Germain was a bit sharper than Monopole which was lighter.  My palate is likely different.  I agreed that the Monopole was lighter in flavor but felt that the Germain left a bitter aftertaste .  This was not a cost cutting change for Regent and. In fact, Germain is a bit more money. 

My best advice is not to judge this champagne until you try it.  For now, I’m sticking with Monopole.

Edited by Travelcat2

Until you mentioned the hull I had forgotten about it!  Naturally Regent had to do all possible to avoid the storms and high waves.  And with computer models (I think there are more than 15 of them) forecasting the global weather if enough of them agree one takes them seriously...  especially at sea!   Stay safe is my motto!!

I am sure there will be great lectures during the crossing - Jackie if you go to any do tell us about them.  Regent does the lectures a lot better than Oceania IMO.  (But I prefer Oceania's food...)

11 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

Until you mentioned the hull I had forgotten about it!  Naturally Regent had to do all possible to avoid the storms and high waves.  And with computer models (I think there are more than 15 of them) forecasting the global weather if enough of them agree one takes them seriously...  especially at sea!   Stay safe is my motto!!

Here is passage weather forecast for waves in west Atlantic for next Thursday at 1800 UTC (Bermuda is in bottom right of image).

180.png

Seas of around two meters.  Yes, there are long range forecasts; and they change over time.  Just thinking that there was another reason for removing two days in Bermuda over a week in advance.

I don’t think it was the weather in Bermuda a week from now that was the problem, but the weather in getting there (and it looks pretty bad in the next couple of days). From what the captain said, the weather would slow us down and we would arrive in Bermuda much later than planned. I think ultimately they were worried not to make it to Miami in time.

17 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

On another note, we had delicious food in P7 tonight (P7 can be hit or miss but tonight was a definite hit).

Agree that P7 can be hit or miss. We are on Voyager in Feb. what was it you had that was a definite hit? I’m amazed at how difficult it is for them to cook a steak the way you want it. 

Update: sorry I saw the answer above. 

Edited by macbest

12 minutes ago, BBWC said:

I don’t think it was the weather in Bermuda a week from now that was the problem, but the weather in getting there (and it looks pretty bad in the next couple of days). From what the captain said, the weather would slow us down and we would arrive in Bermuda much later than planned. I think ultimately they were worried not to make it to Miami in time.

You must be on the ship because what you posted is 100% accurate.  While it would have been extremely difficult to get to Funchal, the fact that the ship would have to slow down would have made us late for our arrival in Miami.  The video on channel 6 that the Captain put together showed a similar chart to what Marc posted but had a lot of red spots that Marc's version did. not have.

3 minutes ago, macbest said:

Agree that P7 can be hit or miss. We are on Voyager in Feb. what was it you had that was a definite hit? I’m amazed at how difficult it is for them to cook a steak the way you want it. 

The double cut lamb chops and Dover Sole were perfection.  The wine was the best that we have had in P7 and the service was great.  Very happy with P7 and with the food onboard Voyager in general.

12 minutes ago, BBWC said:

This last quote was an error.

13 minutes ago, macbest said:

What is being discussed about when the hull will be repaired?

Have not heard anything about repairing the hull but will ask and will respond on this thread.

I was asked how long Daniela would be onboard Voyager and the answer is until December 20th.

A trivia note ....... Voyager has not been in the U.S. for two years and is going to have quite an inspection when it arrives in Miami.  

7 hours ago, BBWC said:

Thanks for the further explanation.  BTW, the link I copied is the 180 hour forecast for waves so it will keep updating; I should have converted to pdf first.

Marc

11 hours ago, tripperva said:

We hope she is all repaired and ready for the December 16 sailing.

It was posted on another board that the cosmetic damage to the hull will be fixed during the next dry dock.  The question remains ....... when will that be?  Will ask and report back.  According to the Captain that we spoke with at the M&M yesterday, there is no safety issue with the hull.  The issue right now is getting to Miami with the storms.  The ship would have to slow down to 7 knots in order to go through the rough seas.  This would make us late to Miami (and not just a few hours).  Also, the passengers would have been sailing in very high seas for 3 days (on the original route) which would have been uncomfortable for many passengers.

We will dock in Las Palmas at noon and will be there for six hours.  Three excursions are being offered and we are on one of them (do not even recall which one .....everyone just wants to get off of the ship before we start 9 days at sea.  

With so little to write about, below is the menu for the Connoisseur Wine Lunch that will be served on November 24th.  Cost is $169/person and OBC's can be used.

PERRIER-JOUET "BELLE EPOQUE"

Grand Brute | Epernay | 2011 | $153

Ceviche of Scallop and Lobster with Mango Salad and Orange Vanilla Syrup

TENUTA DEL' ORNELLAIA POGGIO ALLE GAZZE

Sauvignon Blanc | Tuscany | 2014 | $73

Warm Goat Cheese, Frissee Lettuce, Raspberry Dressing

FAR NIENTE

Chardonnay | Napa Valley | 2016 | $95

Seared Foie Gras, Roasted Pineapple, Port Wine Jus on Banana Bread

CHATEAU CANTEMERLE SEME CRU CLASSE

Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Cabernet Franc | Haut Medoc | Bordeaux | 2011 | $80

Porcini Risotto owith Truffle Essence and Parmesan Wafer

VERITE LA JOIE

Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Cabernet Franc | Petit Verdot | Malbec | Sonoma, CA | $415

Roasted Beef Tenderloin, Parsnip Puree, Candied Carrots, Madeira Sauce

INNISKILLIN ICE WINE

Vidal | VQA Niagara Peninsula | 2014 | $89

Fig Cake with Red Berries Stew and Vanila Ice Cream

Still workiing on alcohol list and available champagnes.