Is my Passport Card good enough?

FlamingJune1967

I've always used a passport card for cruise travel (since we sail from US always) However, last night I had a sudden fear that I would not be able to use it on our upcoming cruise (in two weeks!!) which has a stop in South America (Columbia).  I've searched my cruise documents, Celebrity online and US Gov and cannot find an answer to this question.  I keep reading that for closed loop cruises that begin and end in the same US port I only need a DL and birth cert. - so a Passport Card should work, right?  Hopefully, I'm just freaking out unnecessarily. Please help!! 

I was pretty sure of the answer but Googled on it.    You appear to have a problem as it can only be used for entry From Canada, Mexico, Caribbean and Bermuda.   

Where can a US passport card be used?
The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card CANNOT be used for international travel by air.

If you are on a closed loop cruise, which you will be, the drivers license and birth certificate will be sufficient.  

As Jim noted, the passport card is not valid for cruise travel, although it would count as the government-issued ID, so in conjunction with the official birth certificate, it would work, or the drivers license would work, so the OP should be ok.

This is from the Celebrity website FAQ

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth. A U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original or notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular Report of Birth Abroad issues by DOS, or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

Note: Baptismal papers and hospital certificates of birth are not acceptable. Voter registration cards or Social Security cards are not considered proof of citizenship.

Edited by cruisestitch

48 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

As Jim noted, the passport card is not valid for cruise travel

Jim didn't say that, Passport cards are valid for entry into the US from a cruise ship, but aren't if you have to fly back from a port due to an emergency.

sorry, I mean to to write, the passport card isn't good enough BY ITSELF for cruise travel, as I understand it.  You can use it as the government-issued photo ID, but must be accompanied by the birth certificate.

In any case, since the OP has used the passport card for closed loop cruises in the past, he knows the drill as regards cruising.  The addition of the South American port doesn't change that -- it's still s closed loop cruise.

And the passport card would not be sufficient for a flight home in case of an emergency.

Edited by cruisestitch

My passport card has been good enough for several different Caribbean cruises on 3 different lines including Celebrity.  I just have never been to South America with it.  However, I cannot remember a post where someone complained about not being allowed to use their birth certificate and DL on any cruise out of Florida, so am going to assume that I'm just being frantic.  

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:
I was pretty sure of the answer but Googled on it.    You appear to have a problem as it can only be used for entry From Canada, Mexico, Caribbean and Bermuda.   

Where can a US passport card be used?
The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card CANNOT be used for international travel by air.

This is what tripped me up, however I believe closed loop. cruise travel is not considered travel from another country.

• Like 1

To those who say you should be fine because a passport card or DL/birth certificate are fine for closed-loop cruises...that is true of entry back INTO the US to the same port.

One must also look at the rules of entering the country or countries you are going to.

When we did a partial Panama Canal transit last year it included a stop in Costa Rica.  The Costa Rican immigration information clearly stated that a passport was required to enter the country at any time.  This from travel.state.gov website on Costa Rica:

Requirements for Entry:
  • Passport valid for duration of stay. Immigration may deny entry if passport is damaged.
  • Return ticket or proof of onward travel to another country.
  • Proof of yellow fever vaccination if you are arriving from certain countries in South America or Africa.
  • Proof of funds for at least $100 USD per month of proposed stay.

Tourist stays up to 90-Days: Authorities may permit stays up to 90 days without a visa, but are not required to do so. Be sure to leave by your required date of departure. Immigration authorities may levy a fine on foreigners who overstay their visas. Even a short overstay may result in significant delays, deportation, and/or denial of entry to Costa Rica in the future.

From the same website, here is what it says regarding Columbia:

All U.S. citizens who do not also hold Colombian citizenship must present a valid U.S. passport to enter and leave Colombia. U.S. citizens do not need a Colombian visa for a tourist or business stay of 90 days or less. Before the visa expires, you may request an extension of up to 90 days from the Colombian immigration authority (Migración Colombia). You will face a fine if you remain in Colombia longer than allowed, and you will not be able to leave Colombia until the fine is paid. Any traveler possessing a Colombian visa with more than three months’ validity must register the visa at a Migración Colombia office or online within 15 days of arrival in Colombia or face fines. You may be denied entry to Colombia if you do not have a return ticket. Visit the Embassy of Colombia website for the most current visa information.

For sake of comparison, here is what it says for the country of Jamaica, one that is one many closed-loop cruises:

Generally, all U.S. citizens are required to present a valid U.S. passport when traveling to Jamaica, as well as proof of anticipated departure from Jamaica. Those traveling to Jamaica on a cruise may use another Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) compliant document. However, we strongly recommend visitors obtain a passport before travel in case of an unforeseen emergency that requires a cruise passenger to disembark and return by air. U.S. travelers coming for tourism will not need a visa for travel up to 90 days. All other travelers will need a visa and/or work permit.

If I were the OP, I would most definitely get some official assistance from the Consulate/Embassy while there is still time to get an emergency passport.  The cruise line may be required to collect passport information for the Columbian authorities to get the ship cleared, and if you don't have one, you may be denied boarding.

My concern would be whether Columbia will accept the passport card in lieu of a passport for entry into their country. I would also be concerned that Columbia may not be considered Caribbean but South American. Hope everything works out.

We are currently on a 10 day Regal Princess repo cruise from NYC to Ft Lauderdale.  We saw a lady refused boarding in NYC because she did not have a valid Passport book.  Bottom line is that when you invest in a Passport you do not have to be constantly concerned with changing rules...other then Visa requirements.  Otherwise you will continue to deal with the anxiety related to never being sure.

Hank

Suggest you consider RUSH PASSPORTS.  We have used VISACENTRAL to obtain visas from difficult countries (ie India, China Russia).  They offer Rush passport RENEWAL.  Use a service like them.....they can get things done.

Don't know if as a passport card holder you can get it done as fast.  You may be considered a first time applicant.....but it's certainly worth a call to them for the possible peace of mind.  Their website seems to say they can do a first time application in 2-7 days......Call them today!!

It will be expensive, but if they can get it done for you, so worth it!!!

Good luck!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FlamingJune1967 said:

Celebrity customer service says I need a book.  Now I have to express renew... Why can't they make things clearer on their website? At least I didn't find out while boarding!!

It is purposely vague...because the rules are vast and constantly changing, it is impossible for them to ensure that the most up-to-date and accurate information is present.  They do not want that financial responsibility if there is an error or omission on their website, and I cannot blame them.  Too many people just don't read 'terms and conditions' and other information presented...people skim it, click the check box and move on, and then seem surprised when they learn what they've agreed to.

It remains wholly on the shoulders of the traveler to know and comply with documentation requirements.  Even travel insurers won't take on the responsibility of 'not knowing'...I've never seen a policy that covers the situation where boarding/travel is denied due to improper documents.

Edited by msmayor

3 hours ago, FlamingJune1967 said:

I've always used a passport card for cruise travel (since we sail from US always) However, last night I had a sudden fear that I would not be able to use it on our upcoming cruise (in two weeks!!) which has a stop in South America (Columbia).  I've searched my cruise documents, Celebrity online and US Gov and cannot find an answer to this question.  I keep reading that for closed loop cruises that begin and end in the same US port I only need a DL and birth cert. - so a Passport Card should work, right?  Hopefully, I'm just freaking out unnecessarily. Please help!! 

You don't need to be worried about that, you will be OK with your passport card, It's a FLL to FLL closed loop cruise, Colombia is a port of call same as ABC Islands and Grand Cayman, if you go to visit a port on any one of your stops, you only will need your Sea Pass Card and a Photo ID.

Edited by gerelmx

13 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

You don't need to be worried about that, you will be OK with your passport card, It's a FLL to FLL closed loop cruise, Colombia is a port of call same as ABC Islands and Grand Cayman, if you go to visit a port on any one of your stops, you only will need your Sea Pass Card and a Photo ID.

Please do not associate the idea of "closed loop cruise" with not needing a passport.  It simply isn't true.

A cruise that departs and returns to LA is closed loop, but if it stops in Japan it doesn't mean the traveler doesn't need a passport.  The passport card may be good to get in/out of the US but it will NOT allow you to go to Japan.

The use of a passport card or other ID/birth certificate for travel is only applicable for most travel destinations in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas.  Columbia is NOT part of that group.  I would not risk my whole vacation on the statement that because it is a "closed loop cruise", a passport is not required.

Edited by msmayor

2 hours ago, msmayor said:

The use of a passport card or other ID/birth certificate for travel is only applicable for most travel destinations in Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Bermuda and the Bahamas.  Columbia is NOT part of that group.  I would not risk my whole vacation on the statement that because it is a "closed loop cruise", a passport is not required.

That is the key fact. Columbia is not part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.

A passport book is required!

Edited by Charles4515

Thank you to all who have replied.  I've got an appt. In Atlanta for Tuesday to get a same day renewal, so we are good.  Thank God I couldn't sleep last night and decided to research this!  It would have been a sad day indeed ( My husband has a passport and has joked all day that he would have left me at the port Lol! )  Thanks so much for all the information - that is one thing I love about this board!!

48 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

I've never understood the whole passport card thing.  It's not good for much.  Spend the money and get the real thing which is good for everything.

The issue of passport cards is raised on the Alaska forum periodically.  And I never understand why, in this day and age, folks don't just go ahead and get a passport.