Is my Passport Card good enough?

FlamingJune1967

22 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

That is going to be a real problem on October 1 2020 if the Real ID is actually  enforced that date.

Why?  I already said I have a passport book and card.

22 hours ago, boscobeans said:

I agree totally. 

I don't see what more information there is on a Passport Book, than on an Official United States Passport Card.

By passport card I do NOT mean a so called ENHANCED ID  issued by some States.  

The only thing missing are the blank pages for foreign entry stamps. ???

bosco

You can't use a passport card if you need to actually go through immigration and get a stamp, or if you need a visa.

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

My reply was not about you personally. It is about those who undoubtedly are going to show up at airports after the deadline without a passport book or card because they do not understand the Real ID requirement and renewed their DL by mail because it was the easy way and won't have a Real ID DL. A lot of American don't have passports or passport cards. 

Edited by Charles4515

My friend said or I read that I didn’t need a passport so I didn’t bring it and now I can’t get on the ship.  It’s Sunday and the passport office is closed so I can’t be sent over there for an emergency passport.  

This is a true example.  Some people do not read the requirements on their docs or cruise web site and just go by what friends say then sit crying in the terminal. 

Real ID’s will only be good for domestic air travel not cruise ships.  If you are on a closed loop and only have a drivers license or Real ID then you need your birth certificate to go along with it depending on what port you are leaving from and where you are going.  Some ports have different requirements.  Same goes for passport cards.  BUT if you have a problem/injury/illness and have to fly home you’ll need that passport book to get back. 

The list goes on

Your best and safest bet is to have a passport book.  Why risk anything else 

27 minutes ago, lais said:

...BUT if you have a problem/injury/illness and have to fly home you’ll need that passport book to get back. 

Not accurate. In an emergency citizens are able to repatriate without a passport. It may take a little more time and trouble, but it will happen. A passport card would certainly ease the process.

15 minutes ago, broberts said:

Not accurate. In an emergency citizens are able to repatriate without a passport. It may take a little more time and trouble, but it will happen. A passport card would certainly ease the process.

That’s good news but the point I’m trying to make is why not just have a passport book and make it easier all around.  

• Like 1

When it comes to the "Real ID" issue with air travel we will make a very bold (not really) prediction.  It is all a smoke screen to "encourage" States to bring their DL's into compliance.  But it is very very unlikely that anyone will be denied boarding on a domestic flight when presenting a DL from any State.  The political fallout will stop any enforcement of that DL requirement.  Our prediction is that they will keep extending any enforcement until everyone involved is long dead or does not even remember what they wanted to enforce (once upon a time).

Hank

6 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

You can't use a passport card if you need to actually go through immigration and get a stamp, or if you need a visa.

No one said you could. I have never needed a VISA or had to get a STAMP in almost 20years of CLOSED LOOP cruises throughout the Caribbean.

bosco 

14 hours ago, boscobeans said:

No one said you could. I have never needed a VISA or had to get a STAMP in almost 20years of CLOSED LOOP cruises throughout the Caribbean.

bosco 

You never did but there are some closed loop cruises in the Caribbean that require a visa.  

17 hours ago, boscobeans said:

bosco 

No, but you implied that there was no real difference between the book and the card and that's just not true.  The book can be used for more far reaching travel than just closed loop cruises from the US.

4 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

No, but you implied that there was no real difference between the book and the card and that's just not true.  The book can be used for more far reaching travel than just closed loop cruises from the US.

Of course.. That is true and I am not implying the Passport Card can be used for ALL international travel, whether it be by land sea or air. Did I ???

In reality the Card contains ALL the SAME information but lacks the pages for stamps. 

Edited by boscobeans

1 hour ago, boscobeans said:

Of course.. That is true and I am not implying the Passport Card can be used for ALL international travel, whether it be by land sea or air. Did I ???

In reality the Card contains ALL the SAME information but lacks the pages for stamps. 

Yes, same information but cannot be used for the same purposes.  Hence, there are reasons to have both. 

45 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

Aside from Cuba, which destination are you speaking of?

Why discount Cuba?  It's a popular cruise destination these days!

51 minutes ago, waterbug123 said:

Yes, same information but cannot be used for the same purposes.  Hence, there are reasons to have both. 

Why discount Cuba?  It's a popular cruise destination these days!

I know and that's why we will be using our regular passports on our upcoming cruise to Havana.

36 minutes ago, PelicanLvr said:

BUT ....Why risk ANY of this?  Why get a passport card and not the real thing?????

I'm confused!!!   WHY???

For $3.00 a year for some who travel by plane a lot and with tightening TSA BS with enhanced State issued DMV cards and such it is worth it.

For getting on a ship it is convenient to have your sea pass card and PP Card back to back in a wallet sleeve. 

I don't give a hoot whether anyone else gets one or doesn't, but it is our choice and has been since they started with the PP Card and we also have the regular PP , but have never needed it for all the Caribbean cruises we've been on.

Happy CRUISING

18 hours ago, PelicanLvr said:

BUT ....Why risk ANY of this?  Why get a passport card and not the real thing?????

I'm confused!!!   WHY???

No idea.  I have both and use them for different purposes.  If you're already getting the book, the card is a small add-on, cost-wise.

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Why would you have just a passport card?   Is it the expense of a full passport?

Who are you replying to?

• Like 1