MAKE GALLERY PICTURES OPTIONAL

4 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

oh no, perhaps my grandkids ???  They're awfully adorable, I'm sure everyone wants to have photos of them popping up on the side of their screen.  :classic_tongue:

Go for it.  Current pics getting long in the tooth.

The secret is to post no more than 4 at a time, preferably in different albums.

@Framer, @Indy101, and myself have figured it out.  😎

Edited by John&LaLa

Please talk down to me--

I don't get what you are saying about the albums.Where are they and how to I start one? I have a few pics I can upload, both cruise and non-cruise related! If everyone floods the feature with dogs, cats, cute kids, etc, maybe CC will eliminate the feature.

Also, POA1--where do you put that line code to not display the side bar?

1 hour ago, pizzalady1 said:

Please talk down to me--

I don't get what you are saying about the albums.Where are they and how to I start one? I have a few pics I can upload, both cruise and non-cruise related! If everyone floods the feature with dogs, cats, cute kids, etc, maybe CC will eliminate the feature.

It depends on your program. (Remember, ad blocking is bad.) If you are doing it just for testing purposes, it's Under Advanced > Create and edit your filter list > My filter list. You can target just the images, but you'll get rid of avatars and bunch of other stuff you'd probably rather keep.

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

It depends on your program. (Remember, ad blocking is bad.) If you are doing it just for testing purposes, it's Under Advanced > Create and edit your filter list > My filter list. You can target just the images, but you'll get rid of avatars and bunch of other stuff you'd probably rather keep.

OK, so it is done in an ad blocking software. Since I don't have that type of software, it doesn't matter  that I don't understand it.:classic_smile: Thanks anyway!

13 minutes ago, pizzalady1 said:

OK, so it is done in an ad blocking software. Since I don't have that type of software, it doesn't matter  that I don't understand it.:classic_smile: Thanks anyway!

It can also be done with a CSS override, but that's probably even more complicated. There's always the low tech "tape a piece of cardboard over that part of the screen" method. It's easy, reliable, and won't mess up your computer (unless you use something really sticky, like duct tape.) :classic_wink:

6 hours ago, pizzalady1 said:

Please talk down to me--

I think the fact that no one is doing a protest speaks volumes

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I think the fact that no one is doing a protest speaks volumes

I would do it if I had cat, dog or hamster photos to share but I don't. Moreover, I don't want to post  photos to CC because I am not about to grant them a free license to use my photos any way they want and how much time can I spend trolling the internet for images that not copyrighted etc. to add to an album?

Ten people follow this thread; to mount a meaningful protest, it might take a few more people and even then people witnessing the protest have to care enough to e-mail and complain.

Pizzalady, look under the Gallery tab at the top of this page for albums and picture related stuff.

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

I would do it if I had cat, dog or hamster photos to share but I don't. Moreover, I don't want to post  photos to CC because I am not about to grant them a free license to use my photos any way they want and how much time can I spend trolling the internet for images that not copyrighted etc. to add to an album?

Ten people follow this thread; to mount a meaningful protest, it might take a few more people and even then people witnessing the protest have to care enough to e-mail and complain.

Pizzalady, look under the Gallery tab at the top of this page for albums and picture related stuff.

Totally amazed at the number of folks who think their snaps are worth copywriting. 

Is there a lucrative market I/we don't know about?  Feel free to use anything I've ever posted.  I would take it as a compliment.

41 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The vast majority probably dont know this forum exists and by the number of new threads about the same subject those that do dont look at what is already on it.  I did wonder if I could start a poll on each roll call  - that might get noticed, but might get me banned   . . . eek!

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Totally amazed at the number of folks who think their snaps are worth copywriting. 

Is there a lucrative market I/we don't know about?  Feel free to use anything I've ever posted.  I would take it as a compliment.

So you don't mind if your pictures are used, without compensation, in a national advertising campaign? 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, broberts said:

So you don't mind if your pictures are used, without compensation, in a national advertising campaign? 

Not at all, like I said earlier, I would feel honored.  👨‍🚀

This is not a business.  Great pics of the SpaceX launch from Cape Canaveral this afternoon. 🚀 Should be in the Pt Canaveral Gallery soon. I feel it's appropriate because 4,000 pax on NCL Epic 🚤 were able to watch it today. 🌴

Edited by John&LaLa

On 12/5/2018 at 9:34 AM, John&LaLa said:

Your photos were copyrighted when they were created. Nothing has to be done. No copyright notice is needed. 

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Your photos were copyrighted when they were created. Nothing has to be done. No copyright notice is needed. 

Obviously not that knowledgeable.  But I still wouldn't care if someone used my photos 

12 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

However, by the act of posting them here, we grant CC an unlimited license for their use, as per the Guidelines:

Use of Content

By submitting content to our site (www.cruisecritic.com & boards.cruisecritic.com), you hereby grant Cruise Critic the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display any message posted in Cruise Critic's message boards or in our published member or port reviews (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed. For additional information, please see Cruise Critic's Terms of Use

On 11/29/2018 at 4:23 PM, Peregrina651 said:

You can run an ad blocker and set it so that it doesn't block ads. That way you can block selected elements (which is hopefully a feature of the ad blocker you choose), like the damned pictures.

The content blocker I am using on iOS mobile devices and on Safari on my Mac can block selected page elements and allows white listing if I desired so I could both allow the ads to show on Cruise Critic and block page Cruise Critic elements. It also can check pages for malware and scam pages. Good blockers are not just for ads, they can block malware and trackers. It can also warn me if a page is mining for crypto currency. I have turned that warning on. Had several warnings for that.

On CC I am blocking the photo albums and the part of the page that solicits me to sign up for the newsletter. The newsletter element takes up too much of the page on my phone and I don't need to see it every time. The name of the content blocker is AdGuard. They have mobile iOS versions and a Safari version. The also have versions for other browsers but I don't know if their versions for other browsers have the same features. 

31 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

However, by the act of posting them here, we grant CC an unlimited license for their use, as per the Guidelines:

Use of Content

By submitting content to our site (www.cruisecritic.com & boards.cruisecritic.com), you hereby grant Cruise Critic the royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display any message posted in Cruise Critic's message boards or in our published member or port reviews (in whole or in part) worldwide and/or to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed. For additional information, please see Cruise Critic's Terms of Use

I am aware of that license. In the messages I only post information photos like taxi rate signs, snaps, screenshots or what I call google type photos. Google type photos are scenes that a million people have taken. Like a photos of the ship. Don't care if CC uses those.  I won't post photos to their albums because of their license. I have my own photo albums online on SmugMug and will only post links to the albums. My photos in the albums that are taken my with my non smartphone camera  have copyright info in the metadata. 

What I think is odd are people who post their name on the front of their photo in their photo. A couple of CC posters do that. I have a FB friend who is a birder who does that. She posts the birds to FB like that. Not sure what that accomplishes. Especially when posting to FB. Maybe you have some idea? 

Edited by Charles4515

2 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I am aware of that license. In the messages I only post information photos like taxi rate signs, snaps, screenshots or what I call google type photos. Google type photos are scenes that a million people have taken. Like a photos of the ship. Don't care if CC uses those.  I won't post photos to their albums because of their license. I have my own photo albums online on SmugMug and will only post links to the albums. My photos in the albums that are taken my with my non smartphone camera  have copyright info in the metadata. 

What I think is odd are people who post their name on the front of their photo in their photo. A couple of CC posters do that. I have a FB friend who is a birder who does that. She posts the birds to FB like that. Not sure what that accomplishes. Especially when posting to FB. Maybe you have some idea? 

Charlie, I have no idea. Maybe it is a birder thing? I am even less willing to share photos on FB. Like you, my photos are on a third-party sight and I only share informational photos here in answers to specific questions. I am sure that most of the people who post pictures here have no idea what metadata is and have no idea what the guidelines say about shared content (which includes photos as well as what we write).

9 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Charlie, I have no idea. Maybe it is a birder thing? I am even less willing to share photos on FB. Like you, my photos are on a third-party sight and I only share informational photos here in answers to specific questions. I am sure that most of the people who post pictures here have no idea what metadata is and have no idea what the guidelines say about shared content (which includes photos as well as what we write).

Back to my earlier question. Why are photos so valuable

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

Well the weekend update has done nothing to enable us to choose.

Can someone at CC explain why we need to see these pictures

and why we cannot be given the choice?

yes, that's what I was hoping for as well.  I backed off of complaining about this, but now the worst offenders are back at it.   Please, please give us a way to turn off this feature.  Or at least enable the "ignore user" feature to turn off their photos.   

5 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

yes, that's what I was hoping for as well.  I backed off of complaining about this, but now the worst offenders are back at it.   Please, please give us a way to turn off this feature.  Or at least enable the "ignore user" feature to turn off their photos.   

☹️

1 hour ago, broberts said:

I'm not sure how often CC peruses this forum. I'd suggest emailing help@cruisecritic.com. 

You can report the pictures and the albums. 

Just like an inappropriate post.

That might be your best shot.