Edge in Port Everglades

BSinPNS

5 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

Yep, I noted that there was some space on an upper deck by the entrance to the magic carpet.  What about the other side?  There isn't an upper deck on the other side of the pool.  Just the jogging track going between levels.

I’ll be there 11/27-29, if I remember I’ll take some pix of deck 16 overlooking the pool.

45 minutes ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

Personally, I could care less about what a ship looks like on the outside. All I care about is what the ambiance on the inside and the food and service it comes with.

I guess it is pretty ugly, but you are right as to what is really important.  The ambiance, cabins and the food.   And most important  the service.  Hope it works.  

4 hours ago, RJB said:

I guess it is pretty ugly, but you are right as to what is really important.  The ambiance, cabins and the food.   And most important  the service.  Hope it works.  

You can always board the ship with a bag over your head.

• Haha 1

I like the design. I think it looks futuristic. It was a time for a change instead of the same old same old. It is a completely new design. Endoskelton vs exoskeleton so I'm curious how it affects the views and spaces and to see how it sails. And if this new bow type smooths things out then that's great! Really Looking forward to March! 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, StillLooking4Adventure said:

Personally, I could care less about what a ship looks like on the outside. All I care about is what the ambiance on the inside and the food and service it comes with.

A passenger after my own heart...

bon voyage

• Like 1

It looks like most of the cabins are like OV’s with a window that opens.   I don’t know if I would like that.  And the aft balconies have slanted dividers which takes away a lot  of privacy.    

49 minutes ago, lais said:

It looks like most of the cabins are like OV’s with a window that opens.   I don’t know if I would like that.  And the aft balconies have slanted dividers which takes away a lot  of privacy.    

We have cruises booked  with one of each style..esp looking forward to the Sunset Veranda balcony...

3 hours ago, john_galt said:

The Edge sailed near Nassau this morning but I don't think she ever actually entered the harbor. Currently on her way back and maritimetraffic.com shows: Status:Restricted Manoeuvrability

It's on a crew/corporate staff cruise for 2 nights. It was not an official port stop in the Bahamas. Some staff briefly had to get off in Nassau to meet U.S. guidelines per the Jones Act. They got back on and the ship sailed on.

9 hours ago, hvsteve1 said:

What's that about the bow?download.jpg.b9589d9a769c1822ffb3d9c31c1ca74b.jpg

Also  check out the ship (Nautilus) in the movie The league of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Personally from a distance the Magic Carpet makes the ship look like some form of cargo ship with a built in container  handling system...

bosco

For all of those who live in the Houston area, just go to the harbor check out the shape of the bow on the battleship U.S.S. Texas. Look familiar?.. She's a WW1 battleship museum and sister ship to the now defunct U.S.S. New York. I think it's the only surviving WW1 battleship anywhere....not sure.

Phil.....floridacruisers

4 hours ago, floridacruisers said:

For all of those who live in the Houston area, just go to the harbor check out the shape of the bow on the battleship U.S.S. Texas. Look familiar?.. She's a WW1 battleship museum and sister ship to the now defunct U.S.S. New York. I think it's the only surviving WW1 battleship anywhere....not sure.

Phil.....floridacruisers

You are right about the USS Texas being the only surviving WW1 battleship. The only WW1 ship in the UK is HMS Caroline in Belfast - a light cruiser and the only survivor of the Battle of Jutland. The USS Texas was nearby in May June 1944 in Belfast Lough as one of the Bombardment Groups heading for the D Day beaches. You can visit Caroline if on a Celebrity or Azamara cruise calling in Belfast. 

25 minutes ago, mickey89 said:

Why not reserve both like so many cruisers do these days !

There are no reserved loungers other than the cabanas...or seats the chair hogs  try to save...

Just hoping to get loungers at that location...out of the sun away from the pool ledge.

We get out there early right after breakfast ....enjoy peace and quiet for awhile and leave the when it gets crowded. 

Edited by hcat

On 11/21/2018 at 3:45 PM, Esprit said:

AIDAnova has the same bow design and is undergoing final trials before officially becoming the latest ship under the Carnival Corp' umbrella.

Like them or loath them, they are here to stay.

Personally, I'd rather be on the ship than sneering about what it looks like from afar.

AidaNova does not have the same bow, it is by far not that extrem. Regarding smoother sailing the edge type of bow only improves that in case of slow steaming, for faster runs the old type of bow is better. And as someone who loves ships for what they are of course it matters a lot how they look from the outside. If I was looking just for nice rooms and restaurants and entertainment no need to go on a ship.

One thing came to my mind when I first saw pictures of the Edge, was the lack of a helicopter pad.  If I remember correctly, recently there was a lot of criticism of one of Carnival’s ships that they could not evacuate a passenger expidiciously due to a lack of one. Makes one wonder if the cruise industry is headed in the same direction as the airline industry, how to get more people into a smaller space.