RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

15 hours ago, Gtex said:

I have never bid on an RC upgrade before. Hoping for an ocean balcony instead of a Boardwalk balcony in March. I am confused.  When do they let you know your cabin number? Will we just find out when we get to the cruise terminal? What about our luggage tags? Will they send them a couple of days before the cruise? 

If you win the upgrade, you will receive a congratulatory email.  Approximately the same time your new cabin number will appear on the app and in the cruise planner.  You will print your luggage tags.  Your eDocs will probably need to update for the new luggage tag to appear; that may be a few hours or overnight.  

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Starry Eyes said:

If you win the upgrade, you will receive a congratulatory email.  Approximately the same time your new cabin number will appear on the app and in the cruise planner.  You will print your luggage tags.  Your eDocs will probably need to update for the new luggage tag to appear; that may be a few hours or overnight.  

Thank you.

4 hours ago, travelberlin said:

If you get the upgrade, do your bookings like restaurant reservations, the Key, etc, get changed to your new cabin automatically?

Though you cabin number changes, your reservation number remains the same and cruise planner purchases should remain intact.  

If you win at the very last minute, sometime loyalty items are not in the correct cabin on day 1. So similarly I would suspect if you ordered something from the cruise planner scheduled for cabin delivery at start of cruise, it might not be in the right cabin on day one if you win an upgrade at the last minute.  I’m sure they would sort it out for you.

Edited by Starry Eyes
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, BORN A BOWLER said:

I am traveling alone and if I bid do I get charged for one or is it for double only.

Thank You

Every RoyalUp bid entered is doubled (as if there are two guests).  That happens if there is one occupant or four.  Strange, yet true.  Just adjust your bid and enter it knowing it will be doubled on the confirmation page when you enter your CC #.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have never stayed so low on the ship to be honest. I educated myself though and I did read that it's less movement, so whatever it is will be just fine. I don't know if I can do GTY again though - the anticipation is killing me!  😃

Curious of experiences with Royal Up on Icon Sailings.  The ship has been sailing at reduced capacity, and my sailing in May still has some categories with as many as 50 cabins available. Curious if there has been a better success rate and if acceptance of bids were announced earlier than just a day or two before.

11 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

Curious of experiences with Royal Up on Icon Sailings.  The ship has been sailing at reduced capacity, and my sailing in May still has some categories with as many as 50 cabins available. Curious if there has been a better success rate and if acceptance of bids were announced earlier than just a day or two before.

What date are you? I'm May 4th.

52 minutes ago, MatrixOperator said:

Well, I have never stayed so low on the ship to be honest. I educated myself though and I did read that it's less movement, so whatever it is will be just fine. I don't know if I can do GTY again though - the anticipation is killing me!  😃

I had a GTY interior on the Enchantment in April 2023. Ended up being one of the best interiors I could ask for on deck 3. It was almost the exact middle front and aft and middle side-to-side. It was in a short hallway so very little foot traffic past our cabin, extremely quiet with little to no motion felt the whole trip. The price was much lower than getting to select my cabin at the time and the choices of cabins were limited.

I do not mind gambling a bit with interior cabins but I always select my balconies.

Talk about getting a great night's sleep.

Enjoy your cruise.

1 minute ago, MatrixOperator said:

Thank you! I'm excited 😁

I did bid on a balcony, but I booked this cruise at less than $300 pp, so I'm happy. 

If you get that great price point you like, not having the perfectly located cabin is very easy to handle. As always, be proactive and bring ear plugs and a small white noise machine in case you do not get the quietest of cabins. If you do enough activities and get plenty of fresh air, you will sleep like a zombie anyway.

With the money saved, you can have other experiences on the ship or put it towards another cruise.

We rarely spend that much time in our cabin except to recharge, shower, and change.

• Like 1

so far we are 0/6 royal up, I did bid on two (2) different rooms for our upcoming cruise, this is the first time we did GTY interior, never stayed inside, but we figured we'd save a ton of money, I did book a spacious ocean view room and a ultra spacious ocean view, only thing I can bid up right now. I did bid middle of the range on the ultra spacious and I see there is still 3 rooms available on our cruise 50 some days off. so we will see what happens. 

at the end of the day we will be sleeping in the room, rest of the time we will be on shore or having fun on board. 

if we get the royal up bid on this we will be saving a lot of money compared to paying to upgrade now, but like the last time we wont be holding our breath!

I bid for the first time and never received an email saying I didn't win. No big deal of course, but I know people always say you get an email even at the last minute.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

we have bid on 4 different cabins in the royal carribean royalup,we have looked online with cruise companys and have noticed that they all are showing that our cruise on the 12th of april 2024 is fully booked,1 why we can still upgrade 9 days before the cruise starts,is our ship the brilliance of the seas fully booked or not?

3 hours ago, doway said:

we have bid on 4 different cabins in the royal carribean royalup,we have looked online with cruise companys and have noticed that they all are showing that our cruise on the 12th of april 2024 is fully booked,1 why we can still upgrade 9 days before the cruise starts,is our ship the brilliance of the seas fully booked or not?

The bidding process does not mean, necessarily, that there are cabins available. However, cabins may become available at any point in time, through cancellations or no-shows, right up until the ship sails.

By bidding, you are joining the cruise line's go-to list of passengers they can upgrade in such cases.

It’s  a programme run by a company called “Plusgrade” who do this and similar programmes for around 200 cruise lines, airlines, hotels, rail companies. It has almost nothing to do with spot availability. The programmes are designed to maximise revenue for the subscribing operator for slow selling inventory at points where it wants to address that balance. It also maximises revenue for late cancelled bookings by applying algorithms that looks at cascades as well as individual upgrades. 

Where inventory becomes available, the cascade pathway will often result in maximising ancillary revenue to the operator by selecting individual bids that are not necessarily the maximum in that category. 

It is really just a speculative bid on something that usually doesn’t exist. If you (likely) are unsuccessful then nothing is lost. On the other hand you are contracting to a binding commitment at any point a successful offer is made.

It may be in this now 330 page thread, but has anyone booked a gty, been given a room or noticed after 45 day check in that it was a bad or undesired room and successfully bid a royal up?  If I remember correctly we sailed on allure in 22 ( all got COVID only waved at ports from the balcony) when the 45 day check-in yielded a bar code there was something we didn't like about the room and for a small fee we were able to pay for an upgrade.  But that was by calling cs and switching the booking.  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, miyanc said:

It may be in this now 330 page thread, but has anyone booked a gty, been given a room or noticed after 45 day check in that it was a bad or undesired room and successfully bid a royal up?  If I remember correctly we sailed on allure in 22 ( all got COVID only waved at ports from the balcony) when the 45 day check-in yielded a bar code there was something we didn't like about the room and for a small fee we were able to pay for an upgrade.  But that was by calling cs and switching the booking.  

I have purchased 3 GTY interior no view cabins in the past three years. I was fortunate on all three to like the cabin placements.

I did bid on other rooms in higher categories bud none were successful. My bids were slightly more than minimum.

Others have posted you might have a remote chance of switching rooms but the new room must be an identical category to the GTY. With ships filled beyond double capacity in the past year, very few rooms if any are available at 45 days out.

I never called my TA to try and change them so I do not know if he could have helped but again, I was happy with the GTY cabin.

Edited by Engineroom Snipe
typo