RoyalUP? (Bid for stateroom upgrade)

John&LaLa

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, Ready2SailAway said:

Just received my RoyalUP email 2mos prior to our 7nt cruise on Navigator.  Current available booking inventory for 2ppl is limited to Interior rooms (Interior & Interior w/Virtual Balcony Guarantee, and a dozen Connecting Promenade Interior), but for 3+ppl there’s a lot of Interior, OV, Balcony and Spacious OV Balcony rooms; unfortunately no Suites ☹️.  We originally booked a Balcony Guarantee, then two days later a Balcony stateroom became available in an ideal location but I could not snag it online.  So I called RCCL and they were able to book it for me – only cost an additional $40!

Here are the categories and bidding ranges I was offered for upgrades:

·         Spacious OV Balcony:  $75-630pp

·         Junior Suite:  $95-$700pp

·         Grand Suite 1bdrm:  $125-$790pp

·         Grand Suite 2bdrm:  $190-$1400pp

We like our Balcony location so not interested in bidding on the Spacious OV Balcony (spacious is only an add’l 5sqft according to the room description on RCCL website?).  We’ll be pleasantly surprised if we win an upgrade to a Suite since no available inventory is showing at this time…

Today all of the inventory I mentioned above for our cruise that was previously only available for 3+ppl can now be booked for 2ppl, so we called RCL and self-upgraded from our Balcony to a Spacious OV Balcony in a great location - for no additional charge!  (RoyalUp bidding range would have been $75-$630pp).

On 6/28/2023 at 10:50 AM, Ready2SailAway said:

Just received my RoyalUP email 2mos prior to our 7nt cruise on Navigator.  Current available booking inventory for 2ppl is limited to Interior rooms (Interior & Interior w/Virtual Balcony Guarantee, and a dozen Connecting Promenade Interior), but for 3+ppl there’s a lot of Interior, OV, Balcony and Spacious OV Balcony rooms; unfortunately no Suites ☹️.  We originally booked a Balcony Guarantee, then two days later a Balcony stateroom became available in an ideal location but I could not snag it online.  So I called RCCL and they were able to book it for me – only cost an additional $40!

Here are the categories and bidding ranges I was offered for upgrades:

·         Spacious OV Balcony:  $75-630pp

·         Junior Suite:  $95-$700pp

·         Grand Suite 1bdrm:  $125-$790pp

·         Grand Suite 2bdrm:  $190-$1400pp

We like our Balcony location so not interested in bidding on the Spacious OV Balcony (spacious is only an add’l 5sqft according to the room description on RCCL website?).  We’ll be pleasantly surprised if we win an upgrade to a Suite since no available inventory is showing at this time…

On 7/18/2023 at 2:44 PM, Ready2SailAway said:

Today all of the inventory I mentioned above for our cruise that was previously only available for 3+ppl can now be booked for 2ppl, so we called RCL and self-upgraded from our Balcony to a Spacious OV Balcony in a great location - for no additional charge!  (RoyalUp bidding range would have been $75-$630pp).

The day after we self-upgraded from Balcony to Spacious OV Balcony, received an email from RCL saying they cancelled all of our previous RoyalUP Bids due to our reservation change and need to submit new Bids – with new bidding ranges, but OS & RS added:

·         Junior Suite:  $65-$700pp

·         Grand Suite 1bdrm:  $115-$875pp

·         Grand Suite 2bdrm:  $155-$1050pp

·         Owners Suite:  $190-$1575pp

·         Royal Suite:  $500-$1750pp

1 hour ago, Ready2SailAway said:

The day after we self-upgraded from Balcony to Spacious OV Balcony, received an email from RCL saying they cancelled all of our previous RoyalUP Bids due to our reservation change and need to submit new Bids – with new bidding ranges, but OS & RS added:

How odd that the GS max price rose with the change. Maybe they've had some good bids for it in the intervening time?

22 hours ago, Ready2SailAway said:

Suites have been completely sold out ever since we originally booked a Balcony GTY back in the spring for our 7nt on Navigator of the Seas, but an OS just became available so we called RCL to upgrade from our current Spacious OV Balcony - only paid $239 more than our RoyalUP bid!

Looking forward to seeing what an OS is like, since our highest category on Navigator previously was a GS...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ready2SailAway said:

Suites have been completely sold out ever since we originally booked a Balcony GTY back in the spring for our 7nt on Navigator of the Seas, but an OS just became available so we called RCL to upgrade from our current Spacious OV Balcony - only paid $239 more than our RoyalUP bid!

Looking forward to seeing what an OS is like, since our highest category on Navigator previously was a GS...

You'll love the OS on Navigator. We've sailed in one a few times and have a few more booked.

4 hours ago, Ashland said:

You'll love the OS on Navigator. We've sailed in one a few times and have a few more booked.

😎 

And the point I'm trying to make on this RoyalUp forum is that self-upgrade is another option to keep in mind: You may not have to wait for the RoyalUP genie to grant you your wish at the last minute. Keep checking for available inventory on your cruise and you may be able to make that upgrade happen yourself!

• Like 1

Just got me email saying my bid was accepted. We went from an extended balcony to a juniors suite that shows as a +5. I bid the max because I really wanted a bigger cabin, so this is not a good example for bidding low and getting lucky.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, techteach said:

Just got me email saying my bid was accepted. We went from an extended balcony to a juniors suite that shows as a +5. I bid the max because I really wanted a bigger cabin, so this is not a good example for bidding low and getting lucky.

Congratulations !

• Like 1

INFORMATION FOR THOSE WHO BID:  Make sure if you bid you have the money available when/if you are upgraded. It happened to me. Got an email stating we accepted your bid but unfortunately were unable to charge the card on file please call.......  IT WAS LESS than an hour after I was calling the number on that email, I literally was told sorry.  I must have spoken to 10 different people over the next 6-10 hours but did end up getting it handled in the end.  My point is, to make sure if you really want the upgrade ensure the amount you bid, that funds are available.  I know life happens but use an account or a card you set aside just for this occasion as it will save you the disappointment and frustration I dealt with.

Edited by penutbutterjelly
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, techteach said:

Makes sense - and you probably still saved overall vs the cost if you had originally booked a JS.

Congrats!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, penutbutterjelly said:

INFORMATION FOR THOSE WHO BID:  Make sure if you bid you have the money available when/if you are upgraded. It happened to me. Got an email stating we accepted your bid but unfortunately were unable to charge the card on file please call.......  IT WAS LESS than an hour after I was calling the number on that email, I literally was told sorry.  I must have spoken to 10 different people over the next 6-10 hours but did end up getting it handled in the end.  My point is, to make sure if you really want the upgrade ensure the amount you bid, that funds are available.  I know life happens but use an account or a card you set aside just for this occasion as it will save you the disappointment and frustration I dealt with.

Indeed, good advice!

Glad to hear you got that sorted out - so which stateroom category did you upgrade from and to?

Edited by Ready2SailAway
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2023 at 2:17 PM, Ready2SailAway said:

FYI  Three days after we self-upgraded from Spacious OV Balcony to OS, received an email from RCL saying they cancelled all of our previous RoyalUP Bids due to our reservation change and need to submit a new Bid for upgrading to RS – with a new bidding range:

·         Royal Suite:  $280-$1750pp

nice work, wish I could get my wife and daughter upgraded like this.  Cruise is in 30 days.  Have bids in for reasonable amounts nothing crazy.  Currently in balcony but wife really wants at least a Jr Suite.

Would prefer the self upgrade like you but suites are still selling for 4k per person as a guarantee suite or $5700 per if you pick with nothing but juniors for that price which is still WAY too much for us.  This is on Odyssey for a 9 night Greece cruise.

Sharing my experience (so far) to show how Royal Up can end up with some nonsensical options (no doubt; just because of supply).

-Purchased Inside guarantee

-Received RU email 75 days out

Large balcony $275 minimum bid (mb)

Balcony $250 mb

Obstructed view$225 mb

Spacious Ocean view $190 mb

Ocean view $170 mb

I only bid on balcony and large balcony.

Ended up doing self upgrade to balcony guarantee for less than mb.

Cancelled my two bids.

RU still show my cabin as interior guarantee (it has only been two days) and the same options, but minimum bids have now changed.

Large balcony $250 minimum bid (mb)

Balcony $ 370mb

Obstructed view $310 mb

Spacious Ocean view $250 mb

Ocean view $170 mb

It will be interesting to see what/if I am provided with any other options when RU changes my current cabin to Balcony guarantee, but if I had of stayed with the inside guarantee, I would have been hard pressed to bid on anything other than a large balcony cabin.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GCS2000 said:

nice work, wish I could get my wife and daughter upgraded like this.  Cruise is in 30 days.  Have bids in for reasonable amounts nothing crazy.  Currently in balcony but wife really wants at least a Jr Suite.

Would prefer the self upgrade like you but suites are still selling for 4k per person as a guarantee suite or $5700 per if you pick with nothing but juniors for that price which is still WAY too much for us.  This is on Odyssey for a 9 night Greece cruise.

Keep checking the RCL website for a lower price to self-upgrade, perhaps try calling them to see if they can get you a better price.  Otherwise, hope you receive a congratulatory email soon that your RU bid was accepted!

We sail on Mariner Sept. 29. As we are in a JS and debating submitting any bids,  curious as to what the minimum bid was and how much you bid. Do you know if there were still GS available at time of bidding? Thanks and congrats on winning your bid!! 

38 minutes ago, 4Nathan said:

We sail on Mariner Sept. 29. As we are in a JS and debating submitting any bids,  curious as to what the minimum bid was and how much you bid. Do you know if there were still GS available at time of bidding? Thanks and congrats on winning your bid!! 

We will be sailing with you on 9/29.  Like you, we will probably bid on the 9/29 cruise, so we may be competing.  I do not recall the minimum bid for 8/26. The two cruises are different lengths and different itineraries.  When bidding opened on the 8/26 cruise there were about 15 GS available; the number of GS steadily decreased until few if any were left recently.  

Since Mariner is an older ship- you do not have a suite restaurant or true suite deck- if the suite lounge is like the adventure- so not worth it-  you can only have breakfast in specialty restaurant-  I would keep JR suite and book specialty restaurants.  Junior suite a good sized cabin

2 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Since Mariner is an older ship- you do not have a suite restaurant or true suite deck- if the suite lounge is like the adventure- so not worth it-  you can only have breakfast in specialty restaurant-  I would keep JR suite and book specialty restaurants.  Junior suite a good sized cabin

Good advice. Thank you.  We have access to the Diamond lounge anyways plus one of the newer JS. We’ve been spoiled for the suite life on Oasis  and Quantum class but I really wanted to go to Bermuda! Royal needs to include internet and some form of specialty dining package for suites on their older ships. 

Edited by 4Nathan
Grammar
  • Like 2