Drinking wine onboard with parent's consent

CH_ca

7 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

That was always a sore spot with me. I was old enough to spend a year in Vietnam and luckily return. However I was still under 21 for six months or so and could drink 'on base', but not at a bar in the city. Most of the time, however, if I was asked for ID I showed my military ID and most didn't even look at it, just served me and said "Thanks".

Welcome home brother. 🍺

On 11/27/2018 at 3:39 PM, K12Guy said:

That was always a sore spot with me. I was old enough to spend a year in Vietnam and luckily return. However I was still under 21 for six months or so and could drink 'on base', but not at a bar in the city. Most of the time, however, if I was asked for ID I showed my military ID and most didn't even look at it, just served me and said "Thanks".

Wasn't the drinking age 18 in most states back then?  I recall the late 70's when Carter enacted the legislation that encouraged most states to raise their drinking age to 21.

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Wasn't the drinking age 18 in most states back then?  I recall the late 70's when Carter enacted the legislation that encouraged most states to raise their drinking age to 21.

I was stationed at Ft. Carson, Colorado after Vietnam. The drinking age there at the time was 18 for 3.2% maximum alcohol beer and 21 for 'real' beer, wine and spirits. Hawaii, where I went for R&R, however, was 19 at the time, if I recall correctly.

On 11/27/2018 at 1:56 PM, K12Guy said:

Thanks, Dave. It looks like we will be on the same Summit sailing next fall. I will buy you a cold beverage, if you like.

As of right now we will be in stateroom 6137 so come by and say Hi or leave a message, if you would like!

• 1 month later...
On 11/26/2018 at 9:32 PM, CH_ca said:

I would never want any crew to bend the rule for me nor would I ever want to do anything illegal. That's why I'm asking if anyone who's been in similar situation had the forms or waivers available to them. I've heard one case that it is doable. I just want to know more cases to confirm it. 🙂

We are back from our cruise.  My daughters sea pass card was decorated with stars, I assume indicating she was under 21.  She never tried to order an alcoholic beverage, and actually never even opened the bottle of Prosecco we brought for her for the cabin.  After a rough semester, she just wanted to chill and rest, LOL.  

Her beverage package that came with the cruise was coded as classic non alcoholic.  I did grab a couple of drinks for her on my way back to the cabin, but she is not a drinker anyway, so it was no big deal that she didn’t get served herself.  She was able to get tea at Cafe al Bachio, which she did a few times a day.  The staff there were just amazing.  They worked Cellar Masters at night and were the best bar crew on board by far.  The Martini bar was disappointing this time for us.  

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, CH_ca said:

Thanks all! It won't be a big deal if my daughter is not allowed to drink onboard. She's only a light drinker. It's our family ritual to drink during dinner and talk about our day. Just something nice to have. Looks like I shouldn't pre-purchase the wine package because the number of bottles I order depends on whether she'll be drinking or not!

You could always have dinner on the balcony and party like Rock Stars!  j/k

12 hours ago, Zoedokey said:

We are back from our cruise.  My daughters sea pass card was decorated with stars, I assume indicating she was under 21.  She never tried to order an alcoholic beverage, and actually never even opened the bottle of Prosecco we brought for her for the cabin.  After a rough semester, she just wanted to chill and rest, LOL.  

Her beverage package that came with the cruise was coded as classic non alcoholic.  I did grab a couple of drinks for her on my way back to the cabin, but she is not a drinker anyway, so it was no big deal that she didn’t get served herself.  She was able to get tea at Cafe al Bachio, which she did a few times a day.  The staff there were just amazing.  They worked Cellar Masters at night and were the best bar crew on board by far.  The Martini bar was disappointing this time for us.  

Correct, the seapass cards are different for minors and that’s how the staff know immediately when they go to any bar. If you sail in Europe (and certain other places as stated above), you can sign a waiver for your over 18s 😉.

3 hours ago, villauk said:

Correct, the seapass cards are different for minors and that’s how the staff know immediately when they go to any bar. If you sail in Europe (and certain other places as stated above), you can sign a waiver for your over 18s 😉.

No waiver needed for cruises out of Europe. Drinking age onboard is 18 for those cruises. But they might still get the kids´ seapass card. At least that happend to my DD on her cruise with RCI (and first she didn´t dare to order a glas of wine until she asked the Diamond concierge who said she´s ok but they don´t change the cards in Europe for 18-21 yo).

steamboats

We cruised a mix of Caribbean, Asia and Europe when our son was between 18 and 21...Some cruises he could drink others he couldn’t.

He was unphased by the anomalies, enjoyed an odd wine or beer on the cruises where he could drink and a soda package on those he couldn’t. He always knew if he fancied the odd beer or wine we would take one back to the room for him but he wasn’t over bothered. Personally I don’t think it does young adults any harm to realise and accept that different areas of the world have different cultural and social norms and when visiting one should respect rather than complain about them.

Zoedokey, so pleased your daughter enjoyed her cruise! I don’t think it does young adults any harm either to realise they can have a great time without the need for alcohol!

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 5:22 PM, dkjretired said:

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18.

Interesting quandary, since Hawaii is neither part of North America, nor is it part of Oceania (Australia/New Zealand)

10 hours ago, CEOofVacation said:

It is about US and state laws with regards to Hawaii, which are both 21.

Agreed, but that is not what they wrote or their policy maker doesnt understand that North America is populated by more than just the USA.

14 hours ago, NukeIT said:

Agreed, but that is not what they wrote or their policy maker doesnt understand that North America is populated by more than just the USA.

I´d say it´s not geography but what you politically understand as North America which is USA and Canada ;-).

steamboats

On 1/2/2019 at 12:49 AM, NukeIT said:

Interesting quandary, since Hawaii is neither part of North America, nor is it part of Oceania (Australia/New Zealand)

I'm not sure that I see the confusion, no one said that the list of departure areas is complete.  If there are departures from other areas, Celebrity can establish special rules for those departures.  For example departures from Africa or the Caribbean are also not included in the list and I suspect there may be other areas as well.

5 hours ago, steamboats said:

Are there any departures by Celebrity in the Caribbean or from Africa? San Juan, Puerto Rico, but I assume that´s regarded as "North America".

steamboats

Yes.  Abu Dhabi   No reason to assume San Juan is part of North America 

10 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Yes.  Abu Dhabi   No reason to assume San Juan is part of North America 

No, San Juan may not technically part of North America, but Puerto Rico is a US Territory, as is Guam and the Mariana Islands in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  They all abide by US Laws.

Edited by sailinglisa

bengaltiger,

I´ve checked the US website and there it isn´t mentioned.

"Celebrity's Alcohol Policy
Q.

What is Celebrity's Alcohol Policy?

A.

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from North America is 21. The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Celebrity Cruises ships sailing from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is 18. In certain circumstances where local laws permit or require, Celebrity Cruises may modify this policy which may also require parent/guardian request/authorization. Guests may contact Guest Relations or refer to Celebrity Today for specific minimum drinking age information on their cruise vacation.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon boarding at the beginning of the cruise vacation. If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise vacation, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Relations Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the vacation. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Relations to present a valid government-issued form of identification to permit verification of their age.

No guest under age 18 may possess or consume alcohol at any time while onboard. No guest under age 21 may possess or consume alcohol at our private destinations. Any guest who goes ashore and consumes alcohol (whether under the supervision of a parent/guardian or not, is responsible for ensuring they consume responsibly and retain their ability to recognize and avoid potentially dangerous situations when they return to the ship. Parents/guardians are reminded they are responsible for the actions of their child/young adult at all times while on a Celebrity Cruises cruise vacation.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minors or young adults; possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding or while onboard; engaging in alcohol drinking games; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy."

steamboats

On 11/27/2018 at 8:08 AM, TFLG said:

I've never asked for a waiver for the kids, I simply order them a wine or beer if they want one and give it to them.  I've taken my 3 daughters on many cruises and I've never had a waiter not serve them wine or beer if we ordered it for them. I think the youngest one was about 9 or 10 on her first cruise and we would let her have a glass of wine with dinner if she wanted (she would only drink the sweet fizzy wine like Muscato etc).  Occassionaly the waiters would glance at us for apporval but I've never had one say no. Obviously they can't buy booze but if you get a bottle of wine with dinner and pour your kid a glass no one seems to mind.  They also don't seem to mind if I bought a drink at the bar and handed it to my teen.  My daughters are not drinkers, they might have one beer or glass of wine a night and if they kids were pounding drinks maybe the staff would have said something.  But we've had no issues on X, RCL, Carnival or NCL.

What in the world? Who let's their 9 year old child drink alcohol?!