Should we bring 2 car seats?

smashedpumpkins

My wife and I are bringing our 9 month old twins on an NCL Caribbean cruise. When will we actually be able to use the car seats?

• Drive from home to airport with car seat.
  • They will sit on our laps for our flight.
  • Cruise line coach from hotel to port (Pretty sure no seat belts and thus no car seats right?)
  • Our excursions are all thought NCL for this trip. The kids were free for all of our excursions. Will we ever be able to use a car seat or does this mean they must be on laps? (Since they were free)
  • No plans to take taxi cabs anywhere but I'm sure we would be looking at lap use as well if we did.
  • Port to airport will be through the cruise line again after an excursion.

I'm wondering if we will ever need the car seats other than from our home to the airport. Am I missing an obvious reason to bring them?

Edited by smashedpumpkins

58 minutes ago, smashedpumpkins said:

My wife and I are bringing our 9 month old twins on an NCL Caribbean cruise. When will we actually be able to use the car seats?

• Cruise line coach from hotel to port (Pretty sure no seat belts and thus no car seats right?)
  • Our excursions are all thought NCL for this trip. The kids were free for all of our excursions. Will we ever be able to use a car seat or does this mean they must be on laps? (Since they were free)
  • No plans to take taxi cabs anywhere but I'm sure we would be looking at lap use as well if we did.

I'm wondering if we will ever need the car seats other than from our home to the airport. Am I missing an obvious reason to bring them?

In many states it is illegal to transport small children in a vehicle, including a bus or taxi, without proper child seats.  

26 minutes ago, FLAHAM said:

In many states it is illegal to transport small children in a vehicle, including a bus or taxi, without proper child seats.  

What states make car seats mandatory in buses? Buses here have no seatbelts. I don’t think any Caribbean countries have car seat laws.

56 minutes ago, Apsalar said:

This is a topic where people feel strongly about this stuff. But in general if you're talking about buses or some kinds of vans, you can't really use car seats there anyway so lap sitting should be ok. 

It is a topic to take seriously. However, I also realize I may end up bringing car seats that I cannot possible use even once. I know some non NCL excursions use vans that have seat belts but from my experience NCL usually uses buses. But that is why I'm posting here for those that have children and have found other use cases I'm not considering.

Even in the event of an emergency it seems unlikely that we would either have the car seats with us or that they would be necessary if we were on the ship.

We are bringing 2 infant chest carriers but I've also read that these are dangerous in buses/planes/cars as you may end up using your baby as an airbag.

There are now more and more tourist type buses that have seat belts especially in some countries, Australia for instance, where the driver/guide tells you it is mandatory to wear them.

However young children require a special type of harness in that case as adult seat belts are worse than useless.  Also NCL tends to fill a bus so you may well find that, because they are free, they will not have seats for your children.

5 hours ago, smashedpumpkins said:

Based on this I just see your car seat as being extra luggage that has to be checked. 

Skip the car seats. They’ll just end up taking up space in the room. 

Just curious - what at are you doing for sleeping arrangements? We were in a mini suite with one crib, and there was barely any room. I can’t imagine trying to fit two...

Edited by thatjoeguy

On a secondary note: Have you cleared your travel and seating assignments with the airline you are flying on ?

Number of seats versus oxygen masks in a given row - bulk head seats OK - emergency row NO - have you considered

about your carry-on luggage and support luggage for the twins. Are you thinking of using forward facing infant back

pack carriers freeing your hands for other carry-on tasks - early boarding is recommended if you get to the gate timely.

A whole multitude of problems to be worked out which no doubt you have considered - is the NCL ships nursery going

to be able to give the both of you some time together to enjoy the cruise - you are going to need it !

Previous poster had a question about sleeping (crib) accommodations - interesting.

RE: those car seats would certainly be more of a hindrance than of useful need - but then ? ? ?

16 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

What states make car seats mandatory in buses? Buses here have no seatbelts. I don’t think any Caribbean countries have car seat laws.

you are about on: in fact when I was still a tA I had a few clients come back for Caribbean trips, both cruise and land only, complaining about the lack of seat belts in the cabs and no way to use car seats. OP, I am not sure where or when you would use one on a cruise ship. 

21 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

are you driving your own cars to the airport and parking there?

We'll be dropped off by family with the car seats. The car seats can either remain in the car or come with us.

20 hours ago, casofilia said:

There are now more and more tourist type buses that have seat belts especially in some countries, Australia for instance, where the driver/guide tells you it is mandatory to wear them.

However young children require a special type of harness in that case as adult seat belts are worse than useless.  Also NCL tends to fill a bus so you may well find that, because they are free, they will not have seats for your children.

I'm going to call NCL on Monday to get their opinion. On a previous call they stated the kids will sit on our lap for excursions though it was a rather off hand comment so I'll verify.

17 hours ago, thatjoeguy said:

Skip the car seats. They’ll just end up taking up space in the room. 

Just curious - what at are you doing for sleeping arrangements? We were in a mini suite with one crib, and there was barely any room. I can’t imagine trying to fit two...

We have a family mini-suite and the cruise line said they'll provide 2 pack 'n plays. I do worry about the lack of space but we'll make do somehow.

16 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

On a secondary note: Have you cleared your travel and seating assignments with the airline you are flying on ?

Number of seats versus oxygen masks in a given row - bulk head seats OK - emergency row NO - have you considered

about your carry-on luggage and support luggage for the twins. Are you thinking of using forward facing infant back

pack carriers freeing your hands for other carry-on tasks - early boarding is recommended if you get to the gate timely.

A whole multitude of problems to be worked out which no doubt you have considered - is the NCL ships nursery going

to be able to give the both of you some time together to enjoy the cruise - you are going to need it !

Previous poster had a question about sleeping (crib) accommodations - interesting.

RE: those car seats would certainly be more of a hindrance than of useful need - but then ? ? ?

• Great response, thank you! We have thought about much of this and so much more.
  • I've actually considered the oxygen masks as well. We're flying Southwest and are planning as if we will be required to both sit in aisle seats across from each other. They already have their lap tickets from Southwest.
  • Luggage will be tough but we'll limit it as much as possible. We're not bringing a bulky stroller and if we don't bring car seats that helps too. (We have 2 cheap umbrella strollers for the ship) It'll take a couple trips to move it all regardless.
  • Our carriers are 360 degrees and can be front or back. We usually set them up on the front side. They're the Ergobaby 360 carrier which are very comfortable. We use them on hikes often.
  • This is the first time flying with kids but they usually call for families to board early. That should help. I think I ready families board after the "A" group with Southwest. And Southwest gives you 2 free checked bags so we'll check most of the luggage. For the ship, we're only Gold status, so no priority boarding there but our luggage will have already been checked so it'll be easy enough.
  • I haven't heard of any NCL nursery options. We do have a 3rd person with us who may occasionally take the kids for an hour while we go to the dinning room. But for the most part we'll bring them with us everywhere. We'll make it the best we can.
8 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

you are about on: in fact when I was still a tA I had a few clients come back for Caribbean trips, both cruise and land only, complaining about the lack of seat belts in the cabs and no way to use car seats. OP, I am not sure where or when you would use one on a cruise ship. 

6 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Leave the car seats with the sitter.  That would be my choice.. 🙂

6 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Leave the car seats with the sitter.  That would be my choice.. 🙂

I believe we may go this route. It leaves me feeling uneasy but it is likely unnecessary to have them with us.

2 hours ago, smashedpumpkins said:

We'll be dropped off by family with the car seats. The car seats can either remain in the car or come with us.

well, unless you are in some kind of a minivan during the excursion, I'd leave the seats in the car then.

you will have to sit opposite of each other or one behind another on the plane due to the oxygen mask situation.

I'd also like to recommend the following board: https://community.babycenter.com/groups/a10635/traveling-with-children  for all sorts of useful information on traveling with kids.

I'd use at least 1 suitcase for all the diapers and wipes you will need, but pack them into different suitcases, in case one or two get lost.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy